• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Carburetor Gasket Question

G

Does anyone know where to purchase the gaskets that go between the Zenith-Stromberg carburetor (1500 Midget) and the insulator block and between the insulator block and the intake manifold? Moss and VB don't sell them. There is a picture of the gaskets and the insulator block in the VB catalog (page 89) but the parts are not identified with a number. Any assistance is appreciated. Thanks.

Morris

Yoda
Seriously Tony, buy some gasket paper at your local parts store and make your own gaskets. It's cheap, easy, and the left over gasket paper will come in handy when you encounter other gaskets made of unobtanium.

Ps. In addition to gasket paper, you may consdier picking up a sharp scaple. Should be readily available in any craft store.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
And a new set of sharp sizzors just for gaskets with real pointie ends.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I usually lay the gasket paper over what I want to use it with & take a small hammer & tap allaround the paper at the edge of the object....then, I just trim the remaining paper (won't be much as the hammer will "cut" it) with an Xacto knife......I do holes the same way.

i bought a real cheapo gasket punch set, at one of the traveling tool sales. Works great for punching holes in gasket paper, does a nice neat job.

mark

Morris

Yoda
That sounds cool Mark. I'd like to get me one. Whazza traveling tool sale? I wonder if they have those around here.

I am sure my wife is hoping they don't.

A travelling tool sale? you folks dont have those? Believe me you not missing much. Yhey show up about every six months or so, sell some really bad quality stuff, like chineses made vise grips, power tools that eat up the motor brushes so fast that they come with an extra set. Some stuff is ok, and they do sell it cheap.

check around at your local Sears or Walmart, you might find a set of those punches, maybe even at the auto parts store? They have been pretty handy,

mark

Bugeye58

Yoda
For smaller holes, you can make a gasket punch merely by sharpening the end of a short piece of the proper sized tubing. Just use a wooden block to set the paper on, line up the punch and give it a whack with a mallet.
Jeff

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yep even copper pipe will work fine on paper.

OP
G

Thanks everyone for the assistance. I was hoping that the gaskets were available. Since they are not available I'll buy some gasket material and make them. I have made gaskets in the past.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
WHOA! WHOA! WHOA! We didn't say they're not available...if you want new, gimme a day or so to look through the boxes of gaskets I've got in storage while garage addition is underway.....but, if you want them right now, the easiest way is to make them.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
It's a ~conspiracy~! They don't want 1500 Midgets onna road!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

OP
G

Jeff (Bugeye58) - I saw the gasket in the VB Triumph Spitfire catalog but it states for 1970 to 1972 Spits. The gasket is not listed in the later 1500 Spitfires. I guess I'll just make two of them.

OP
G

Tony "TheAutoist" - if you can find the gaskets please let me know. I have a friend in California sending me a used insulator block since mine is cracked. If the insulator he sends me is the wrong one (he doesn't know one LBC from another) or it is in the same condition as mine do you have good used insulators for a 1976 1500 Midget? Let me know. Thanks.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Ha, I think I saw them in my wanderings through his sheds the other day and thought of you.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Think you're right, Jack - in the engine building!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Aye, right side front?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Got a "bin number" there Jack? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

OP
G

Well I ordered 2 of the 3-876 gaskets from VB. They may fit but I really wanted to see how thick the gaskets were and what type of material they were made of. I removed the carburetor and old insulator block. I see why the previous owner stuffed red RTV (silicone sealant) around the top of the insulator. There were no gaskets on either side of the insulator block. I know that was one reason he had a leak. Well I'll wait until the gaskets arrive and the used insulator block arrives from my friend in California.