Thread: I need a small part... Help!

Discussions of Triumph motor cars

Jedi Hopeful
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I need a small part... Help!

The TR3A rebuild is coming along nicely.. We are going to get primer in the engine bay tomorrow, I hired a auto paint company to come to the house.. The TR4A head will be ready tomorrow night, port, polished with big valves. Ted at TSI should have the engine all together in a couple of weeks..

I am ready to start putting things back together!

I need the intake fuel line to the fuel pump... The PO must have used a pair of vice grips to get it in as it is round as can be... Moss does not have it listed.. VB (part #3-8141) has at least a month back order.. So if some one has on I'll be glad to pay.. Just send me a PM...

I'll post some pictures next week. Right now my garage looks like a paint booth.. Plastic everywhere...

Boy if my wife know what I'm spending on this rebuild!!! Can we say never again..

see the car at https://www.capt-roys.com/triumph.htm
    Capt Roy
    1961 TR3A TS71469L

If it doesn't work, read the instructions...If it still doesn't work...Follow them!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Re: I need a small part... Help!

Dang! you're right -- I just checked the Moss site and it's N/A. Just bought one from them a few months ago. I buy from a moss distributor so I can call him tomorrow and see if he still has one on the shelf.

In a pinch I have found a brass fitting at a hardware store that worked fine... threaded one end, barbed on the other. Okay not exactly a true barb... a sort of flare or lip on the end.

Jedi Hopeful
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd really appreciate that... Let me know...

Thanks a lot
    Capt Roy
    1961 TR3A TS71469L

If it doesn't work, read the instructions...If it still doesn't work...Follow them!

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

Hi Roy I think that part is just basically a metal standard fitting (threaded hollow nut) with a piece of 6 inch bent metal pipe with an olive on the end and a piece of rubber hose on the other. You should be able to find the fitting in brass (probably not steel) with the olive at a quality hydraulic repair shop. We have a shop here in the Seattle area where you can bring in a hose and they will replicate it. It is amazing. I have taken in bango carb fittings like on an early tr3 and I have seen people come in with hydraulic lines off an old logging truck and these guys replicate it. They should go on the internet. The place is called Williams Oil Filter and it is run by this group of good old boys one would expect to see on the old TV show Pedi Coat Junction.
    Sp53

Jedi Trainee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

on my tr6 i used a brake line with a the olive. the brake line fitting worked perfectly and it was already flared etc. i just cut off the length i didnt need. hope this helps
    Randy

Jedi Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was able to use standard off the shelf parts for this as well. I just went to the local auto parts place and got them all off the display rack.
    Cheers,
    Adrio
    '59 TR3A
    '67 TR4A IRS (sold, have a sail boat instead now)

Jedi Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Any Hydralic shop should be happy to make one of these up

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Roy,

On the TR3-4A, this is one of those parts that is hard to find. The trouble is that it is a 5/16" compression fitting nut on the fuel pump made for a 1/4" steel line to the carbs. So the oilve has to fit on the 1/4" line and be fat enough to seal inside of the 5/16" nut.

If you still have a usable fuel line with olive crimped around it, good; just pull off the compression nut and take it to NAPA or other comprehensive auto parts store that sells fittings. It's an oddball fitting but you might have luck finding one locally. If not, call TRF as they usually have these in stock.
    PeterK
    1958 TR3A 1966 TR4A both HVDA

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Sorry, my local Moss distributor did not have one on the shelf. This is a straight-forward 5/16" line & fitting so hopefully one of the suggestions will enable you to make your own.

FWIW -- in my experience the ones Moss did sell not long ago didn't fit all that well. Mated up okay to the pump but the bend in the tube was way too much and put the rubber fuel line at a funny angle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

We must have had the same previous owner because my feed line fitting was rounded off as well but probably because the brass is soft and the years went by. Anyway, if you happen to have a good NAPA distributor in your area with knowledgable and helpful staff you might be able to get the fitting there. That's where I bought mine. Bring the old fitting and pipe with you to match.
    Harry Ward
    1959 TR3A
    CT

Jedi Hopeful
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

tHANKS FOR THE INPUT... I'm headed to the local BAP auto parts tomorrow to see they can peplace the fittng.. I really appreciate all your inputs...

Thanks,
    Capt Roy
    1961 TR3A TS71469L