• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Do you drive it on the freeway?

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
At this point, I'm convinced that my bugeye, which I've had since July, is acceptably reliable, and probably isn't going to die on me in heavy traffic. I've taken it on some nice, long rides, most recently a loop of about 100 miles last weekend. Loads of fun, for sure. BUT...I'm still phobic about taking it out onto the Los Angeles freeways. Those SUVs look awfully big from a sprite, and the trucks--man, they could squash me like a grape and never notice it. I have fantasies of driving to Phoenix, San Francisco, or even the east coast, but that would inevitably require getting out on the big roads with all of my 43 horsepower and 25-second zero-to-sixty.

So, any words of wisdom? I know, this is a car-enthusiast group, not a support group for pathetic phobics, but, even so, maybe you can spare a few words of wisdom and encouragement. Do you drive on the freeways? If so, how do you stay sane and alive? Or, am I totally nuts for even considering it?

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
Your best bet is to try it on your local freeways. If you can survive there, the rest of the country should be easy. Try some progressively longer trips & see if you are comfortable or can get used to it. I know it's frightening to be beside a truck tire that is taller than your whole car. It's not for everyone, & some stick to side roads. It's a little hard to go very far in this country without getting on at least some freeway, but it can be minimized by planning ahead.

Had a cousin who travelled all over the USA in a Bugeye. Thought it was wonderful.
D

fmichaels

Jedi Knight
i would also be initially concerned about the highway. i drove mine years ago on the highway and remember that i was very small compared to most trucks and the squealing from my transmission sounded like i was going to self-destruct. the car always had enough power, but if you don't defensively drive and keep clear of congestion, you could find yourself in a situation where someone doesn't see you and reacts. i would also recommend lesser travelled roads if available.

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
I recently tested mine on the interstate after avoiding city streets for a while. It was fine, I chose the quietest time I could to reduce other big traffic, and built it from there.
Heavy braking was my concern.

Country flag
My car feels fine on the Interstates, but I would be leary of a stock bugeye. I feel like my car has adequate power to get me in and out of traffic without causing someone to throw on their brakes. You have to be VERY alert to all the drivers around you and assume that nobody sees you.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I've had mine on the freeways near here, as it's the only way to get out of my town. Big hills aside, it seemed to do reasonably well. I count quite a bit on the "cute" factor. Folks seem less angry at my slower speeds in the Bugeye than if I was in a modern car.

That said, I've got a 1275 ready to be built and put in. That should easy my mind a bit--a little more oomph would be most welcome.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
Air horns have given me SOME peace of mind while driving my Sprite on the freeways, even in LA and San Diego I was able to navigate safely for years, but defensive driving is very important too.
Bill

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Beep beep, Bugeye comming through.

Shucks for a bug freeways are 18 lanes wide. Lots of room to jump and duck around. HEHE.

Country flag
My problem is when people run up on you and change lanes at the last second, and the person following behind them (1/2 a car length behind) has nowhere to go but into my boot. Around here you need to run the speed limit +5 to keep from being a hazard. Luckily we have many good state/federal roads to get us where we are going without using the interstate.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
How about one of those cycle flags on the rear, lol.

leecreek

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Drive it like a motorcycle. Always figure no one sees you.

Attachments

• 265253-27-3.jpg
    265253-27-3.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 44

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Beep beep, Bugeye comming through.

Shucks for a bug freeways are 18 lanes wide. Lots of room to jump and duck around. HEHE.

[/ QUOTE ]

Says the man from "Niceville" Florida population 12,515 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

"Go ahead try it - it'll be OK I promise" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif You must be an older brother.

Diamroyal

Freshman Member
We've driven them on the interstates around here, which, although they're small, I've seen backed up for 20 miles. :: shrugs :: the only thing we're leary of are the cement-paved interstates where it has the little grooves that run parallet to the road...the small tires get kinda wiggly on those!

Westfield_XI

Jedi Warrior
I think the best solution would be a 5-speed GB that would let you cruise at the same speed as everyone else. The danger comes when you are being overtaken and putting your fate in the hands of others. The advice to "drive it like a motorcycle" is the best I have heard in a long time. When I ride my bike on the freeway I try to go just a tiny bit faster than 95% of the cars around me, that way since I am the ine passing, I can control the situation. With the average speed up around 75mph here in LA the 5-speed becomes mandatory.

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
I just open mine up and blow by everyone. If I get a ticket at least it'll be having fun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yea but yours is singing.

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

I am going to install the rear panhard bar this weekend Jack. She is pretty close on the tuning. GB really puts ya back in the seat hard from 1500 rpms on up.

It is definately faster then my new MINI and would have given the 911 that I had a good run for the money.

Patrick

[ QUOTE ]
Drive it like a motorcycle. Always figure no one sees you.

[/ QUOTE ]

words of wisdom. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif

mark