• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 Problem

bigbadbluetr6

Jedi Trainee
Today my dad was driving my TR6 to meet me at the taping of Pinks at Heartland Park Topeka, KS. He left the car where he meet his buddy because of a weird clunking noice. Jacked up the car when we got it home and everything looks normal. What could this be? It sounds like it is coming from the passenger side in the IRS. Could it be the u-joints? I hope not because I've changed them once or could it be the hub? How much play is there suppose to be in the rear wheels when you shake them back and forth?

D

DougF

When is the clunking occurring? Is it continuous or only happening at specific times?
It could be anything from a broken frame to a ujoint, bearing, differential or half shaft.
If you can create the noise while the car is in the air, that will simplify the search. Since the one ujoint is difficult to access, I would start from the outside and work in and inside working out, leaving it for last. If Mr. Murphy has anything to do with it, it will be that ujoint.

MarkT

Hi Eric,

Whenever I hear "clunking noise" and "passenger side, rear," I think differential mount (ask me how I know!). The front passenger side mount is the one that usually goes, either by cracking or fully breaking, creating a clunking sound when driving (especially on gear changes). It can be pretty hard to see in there, but with the wheel off you can (just) see that bracket when the car is up on jacks. If you make sure the car is really secure, you can get your hand up in there and feel for any damage.

I hope this helps, and I hope its not the mount! A complete pain and somewhat pricey to fix....

Cheers,
Mark

Paul Johnson

Jedi Warrior
Good idea to put the car up and have a very close look at the two rear crossmembers. Just had cracks in mine near where the shock mountings are. Scary noises are now gone.

OP
bigbadbluetr6

bigbadbluetr6

Jedi Trainee
The noice happens when the car is in motion. It doesn't matter if power is applied. I've had my front mount break before and its a different noice then that. The noice is a clunk clunk clunk and gets faster with every evolution/more speed. Kinda sounds like a U-joint from the sound of things. Well I'm going down to the garage and getting ready to operate/work on the stinken TR. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

swift6

Yoda
You might have to pull a drum and insprect the shoes and springs too. Since it speeds up as the car does it definitely points to some part of the rotating mass.

OP
bigbadbluetr6

bigbadbluetr6

Jedi Trainee
Well i've got both rear wheels off and the drums. Spring and pads look good but haven't inspected them thoroughly. I've taken both half shalves out and looked at the U-joints. I can't tell the difference if the U-joints are bad or not. THere seems to be no play when twisting them back and forth. Where the housing that holds the barring are not smooth they are making like a scratching sound when turned on the bench. Could that be the clunk clunk clunk noice at road speeds?

G

[ QUOTE ]
the stinken TR. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Watch your mouth! She will hear you!

Are the bolts that hold your hubs onto the swing arm secure. Wouldn't hurt to check the torque on them. Very often these little jewels will work out of the aluminum swing arm. Remember, they are only fine-thread bolts screwed into soft aluminum. Might be a good time to check each one and consider redoing them with HeliCoils or equivilant.

Bill

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Eric, as a bit of information, when new Ujoints are installed they should flop around on their own with no tightness. Sometimes you have to spring back the yokes with a hammer to make everything be in the proper place and aligment, if you have had one that was hard to get out and a press was used, they will wear out in no time if the yokes aren't sprung back. Wayne

OP
bigbadbluetr6

bigbadbluetr6

Jedi Trainee
Well after looking at all the U-joints I've replaced they all seem to be alright. After putting the car back together the sound is still there. It makes me wonder if its the driveshaft U-joints. Those have no been replaced. When I get a chance to be back home dad and I will attack those 2 U-joints in search of the problem.

RomanH

Jedi Knight
I have a similar noise in my car. Thought it was comming from the passenger side toward the rear of the car. Could not figure it out. Took a friend with me for a drive and he said the noise was coming from in between the seats. Had him drive so that I could listen and sure enough the noise was from in between the seats. Turned out that the trans output flange bolts where hitting the tunnel. Havn't fixed the problem yet as I am going to be doing a engine rebuild this winter.