• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Driving a dumptruck...

Well, I've had my chance 2 times so far at driving a large (but single axle) dumptruck. 9 speed transmission (actually a 4 speed with hi-low axle, and an ultra low forward gear). Not much different than driving my MGB, except I get to go through the gears twice... And I sit 10 times as high. I kind of like it so far, and I'm better through the gears (not grinding them) than the guy who's telling me how to drive it. And basically it's a totally non-synchro transmission, so I'm learning really well how to change gears at the right RPMs. Downshifting was a problem to start with for me, until I remembered having to double clutch my MGB to downshift into 2nd and 1st. I started doing a super-slo-mo-double-clutch, and wha-la!!! It downshifts! I totaly surprised both my boss and the other guy helping to learn about driving it for my CDL, especially since neither of them seem to be able to downshift it without seriously grinding gears.

I am nervous about the upcoming tests though, but my boss said he's trying to "ease me into everything slowly". Which is good. After I get my CDL, I guess I'll be on to learning the backhoe. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Make sure when you look down at cars coming up on your left that you don't swerve...hehehehe....&, you WILL look down into cars...we just want to know all the things you see!

OP
kennypinkerton
I've seen a couple things from my toyota (lifted 4x4 with the big tires), that I couldn't tell about here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
One of the favorite things I used to like driving was a big old Army 2-1/2 ton...I've even thought about buying one when they come up on ebay....

OP
kennypinkerton
Them big army Dodge's look good too. I've always liked them.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Ohhh, the 2 1/2 tons with the blowers sound so sweet when at full bore. I like the air horns as well. hehe.

OP
kennypinkerton
The truck we have is turbo'd and sounds a lot better from the cab, then at ear level in my other cars. I haven't yet pulled the air horn cable on ours, as they've had me driving pretty early in the morning down some rural back roads. I'd hate to wake somone up and have them mad at me. Maybe tomorrow though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

Sqrrig

Someday I'll tell ya all about driving a duece through DOWNTOWN DC!!!!

Don

OP
kennypinkerton
OK... I can drive the dumptruck. No problem. Now I've driven the dumptruck with a 25 ft trailer... backwords, through and undeveloped new subdivision... I need lots of work with trailoring in reverse. (but I haven't jacknifed yet) I guess practice will help. Practice wasn't needed so much on the backhoe, but I've already spent 10 hours or so on it, and according to the bossman, I look like I've been using one all my life (that was during the first hour)/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif, and I've used it for actual work now twice... The backing up with a trailor thing though, is a little bit more... shall I say complicated. I seemed to do well, but in my own mind, I'm not doing too hot. I hope tomorrow is slow so I can do more backing up a trailer, It should help.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Here's how I remember how to back up with a trailer...I use the bottom half of the steering wheel (meaning I change my grip to the bottom center) & turn the steering wheel the direction I want the trailer to go...

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
... I hope tomorrow is slow so I can do more backing up a trailer, It should help.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if you can do this in a dumptruck but I find backing a trailer is pretty easy if you keep your hands at or close to the bottom of the steering wheel. Then you just move your hands in the direction you want the trailer to go.

Works very well using the mirrors.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
BAM!!! 2 posts, same tip, same time...great minds....hehehehe

OP
kennypinkerton
Tomorrow, I'm suggesting we bring traffic cones and let me really test myself. I figure backing into a lane with about 2 foot clearance on either side - with a stopping point about 25 foot in, and keep at it until I know it in my sleep. Go at it straight and at angles. That should get me in the groove.

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll use 'em. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

zblu

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Drive a Haulpak now and again, had to get used to birds eye mirrors, its an auto, way to go!, power shift on the vac gauge

OP
kennypinkerton
Well, mine is a Ford 5500 (or something like that), and it doesn't like towing a trailer. I spent a couple more hours today baking it at work into coned off areas. I did ok, and only knoed over a cone 2 times. I get pretty close to the back ones too, the last three times would be measured in inches rather than feet. I kept getting out and repositioning the cones to challenge myself. I even did one (about 5 times) with only about 6 inches on either side of the trailer. That one was tough. The one that threw me the most, was I made the coned area at a 45 degree angle from the fence around the shop. and I came in at a 45 degree angle from the other way (90 degrees altogether). I found I had been subconciously using the fence to guide me into the cones. It took me about 3-4 tries, but I finally backed into it.

LLAngus

Jedi Knight
I owned and drove a 42' flatbed 48 states and BC. There will be days you can close your eyes and everything will fall into place. And other times you can't back into a straight shot.

Another tip--if you find yourself gripping the steering wheel, take a breath and find what is making you uptight. If you are going too fast--slow down; if there are cars too close-move away. Do this until your grip is relaxed again. It sounds simple but until you get use to the feeling you will be uptight.

If you haven't taken your test yet--tell the DMV person you use the clutch to get the trans out of gear and no clutch to put it in gear. They mark down if you grind the gears unless you tell them you don't use the clutch all the time. Yes I drove without using the clutch all the time.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif