• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Price of Aluminum

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
AS I've watched the price go higher & higher, I've started saving all our soda cans....today, I sold 20 pounds of cans for $13.00 - that's $.065 per pound!

R6MGS

Yoda
My in laws have a few 100 pounds or so of compressed cans in one of their sheds....My father in law made some kind of automatic can compactor, but instead of ever selling them he just tossed them all into a shed.

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I wonder if that is more than $.05 per can. I recycle my cans but at work we recycle all of our metal scrap. I woner if it is worth it to take my cans here.
About a year and a half I could buy Alum for $2.50/lb. Now it is over $5per. Same with stainless, brass, copper, Bronze. Unreal.

A

aerog

Copper is a hot item down here, maybe everywhere? People are stripping the wiring and plumbing out of new houses constantly here.

Last week we had someone steal/strip the copper coils out of 5 or 6 AC units at a local elementary school.

we had a guy get zapped while stealing the copper grounding rod at the substation..... He should be a nominee for a "Darwin Award"

mark

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
You guys think that's bad...there was an article in Sunday's <u>Huntsville Times</u> about people stealing the copper urns, vases, & plaques from the local graveyard!

kyreb1862

Jedi Knight
[ QUOTE ]
You guys think that's bad...there was an article in Sunday's <u>Huntsville Times</u> about people stealing the copper urns, vases, & plaques from the local graveyard!

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, this would have to be a new low. It ranks right up with the group of ghouls who were stealing toys left on the graves of children. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Up here cast Aluminium (stuff like engine blocks, intakes, cyl heads) is at 52 cents a lb. Stuff like AC condensers and rads and such is at 57 cents per lb, and wheels and cans (in the same classification ) is at 68 cents a lb.
I've been stripping out bad engines and trannys from shops lately. In two loads ( a total of 500 lbs) I've got $280.
the catch is it has to be "clean" aluminum. that means NO other metal in there. all studs, pins, plates,and sleeves have to be removed.
and ,no. we figured it out. if you live in a state with a 5 cent return on cans, you make a lot more on the return. don't scrap them.
We've had problems here with aluminum theft. street signs, aluminum siding, anything. Fortunatly the scrapyards are helping. They don't accept signs, and you have to have proof of where the siding came from.

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Hmmmmmmmmm...I have these old stripped Buick V8 blocks that have been sitting in a shed for years...maybe I'll make them pay for themselves by selling them to the scrapman!

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
You just have to make sure to drive out the steel liners in the cylinders and any other imbedded steel. otherwise its "mixed metal" and they only give you 5-6 cents a lb

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
So the all aluminum CAB cans I've been tossing fer YEARS are suddenly worth something?!?!

...May eagles blunt th' eyes of the collectors of my discards!!!

OH! Th' humanity!!!!

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Around here, it is the copper gutters from churches. Sad.

Most scrappies here won't take the stuff unless you have some sort of legit business.

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
[ QUOTE ]
...today, I sold 20 pounds of cans for $13.00 - that's $.065 per pound!

[/ QUOTE ]

Something is wrong with your math.

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
$0.65 per pound......sorry about the misplaced "0"