• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

How to dispose of a car. Advice Please.

dklawson

Yoda
For years my wife and I have owned 5 cars, including her first new car purchase, our 1981 VW Rabbit. Years ago the Rabbit became our backup vehicle. Well... we have driven the Rabbit less than 50 miles in the last two years and the poor thing has rotted on our driveway. It's time to go. It still runs but it needs so much I don't even want to give it to a needy person as it would be a liability for them.

The problem is, when I asked my wife to find a way to dispose of the car, no junk yard she called was interested. I couldn't believe it... not interested at all. Of course, no charity wanted an old heap of a car, nor would I feel right giving it to them if they did. So what is a clever, legal way to dispose of a car that won't involve points on my insurance or explanations to the local authorities?

All suggestions are wanted and welcome, even silly ones.

Camshaft

Jedi Knight
Why not give it to a high school or vocational school auto shop?

R6MGS

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
Why not give it to a high school or vocational school auto shop?

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif

Or if you know any VW guys I am sure one of them would love it as a parts cars.

weewillie

Darth Vader
Country flag
you could probably post it on vwvortex.com

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I'd think a VoTech would be a possible recipient too. I have to say I admired those li'l cars. Tough and fun. I'm in the same boat with a 240DL wagon.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
put it at the end of the driveway with a sign that reads
"runs-$25"
I bet it'll be gone in a week or less. some local kid is probably running one just like it and would love the parts.

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
Bizarre, our city has a 'junk amnesty' program where they will pick up any junk vehicle, get rid of it and give you $50 for the pleasure, part of a clean up thing for Lincoln birthday or something, but nonethess, is your city in a position where at least they can tell you where their junk impounds go?
Weird that a yard wont take it, even for the scrap

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
There's got to be a local junkman who'll haul it away for nothing!

OP
dklawson

dklawson

Yoda
The search for the VW's new home started (half heartedly) a year ago after my wife had a rather nasty accident (with another car) that sent us searching for new insurance. Perhaps her heart wasn't in the search.

I have given cars to trade schools before but the last time we inquired about this they wanted later cars with onboard computers so they could teach OBDII diagnostics. I can certainly try that again but the Rabbit is just a little before that time.

A year ago I mentioned to our local VW garage that I wanted to get rid of the car and they weren't interested. Perhaps this year I should twist their arms a little.

A friend also suggested that I contact the county government. Like BAZ suggested. These are all good suggestions and I appreciate them all.

I'm going to make some calls today and see what interest I can find in this poor old car. I don't mean to make the car sound terrible or anything. My standards are just a little high and I've let this car slide. It's a 4-speed, 2-door, gas, LS trim level Rabbit that was great in its day. Now, however, there are enough looming problems that I would feel guilty giving or selling it to anyone in need or living paycheck to paycheck. I know that when placed into regular service the car will soon need: new brakes, new clutch, replacement alternator, and probably new tires (sidewalls are starting to craze crack). The AC is also dead and to fix it will cost more than the car is worth. It's been a good car and only failed us twice in 25 years... but it's time to go.

jackq

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I have given two cars away in the past to a local church that kicks in for tires...or wahtever small things they needed to get maybe another year out of them. Here in New Mexico we don't have any inspection laws...but I made sure the brakes, lites, wipers..etc..all safety stuff was up to par. They in turn find a needy family...and there are plenty, to give them to. I cleaned them, filled them up and kicked in for the first year of registration. Only thing they had to do was get liability insurance and have a valid lic. I have a 95 Dakota p/u I may do that to this week. You never know....someday you may need a hand.

JerryB

Jedi Warrior
DKL.....

I know around here (Mars*) it's almost impossible to get a wrecking yard to pick up a car that does not have a TITLE.

The phone call goes...."drive it in and we'll take it."

Well heck...if it drives "I'll sell it".

marketing is the key here.......you might advertise as suggested ABOVE.... "$50 all there but doesn't run" or somesuch.

Another idea is if you have an ethnic area with a junk dealer or with a tow truck he possibly will take it for scrap value as it's worth a $50 in scrap...(or more) you just have to get connected with that scrapper that wants to make a $50 and not a killing on the deal.

Good luck.

* Mars, CA USA ...."we want you to recycle but on our terms and lots of convoluted paperwork"

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Wrecking yards will take a car here for free - if you deliver it to them with a clear/salvage title.

- Doug

Check your classifieds... theres always an ad in our paper that reads: I buy old cars, running or not... etc. I think he pulls what he can sell, and hauls the rest to "shredders" in birmingham, AL to be shredded and scrapped.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Is it a diesel? I'll take it! I wanna build a greasecar.

OP
dklawson

dklawson

Yoda
The most frequent questions are:
Is it a diesel? and Is it a convertible?
If the car were either, I'd probably keep it. This is just a 2-door, gas, with 4-speed manual.

The local junk yards told me flat out they are not buying anything older than 1995. When I told them it was an '81 they couldn't hang up on me fast enough. I'm terribly honest about the known condition of the car... charities I've contacted have now turned me down. The local technical college isn't interested, nor is the local drug re-hab center that teaches auto mechanics. This is just NOT the place to have an old junker.

The only local garage that has EVER worked on the car for me may take the car for parts. Otherwise, I found a place that will buy the car "by the pound". I hate that it may go that way, but I wouldn't feel good selling it or giving it to someone who needed it for daily transportation.

I make the car sound worse than it is. It is driveable, I just know it will take a lot of work next year if someone starts driving it regularly.

Thanks for all the suggestions. The final decision should be made next week.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi DK ,search " Junk My Car" on the webb and I think your problem may be solved.--Fwiw---Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Camshaft

Jedi Knight
That's ridiculous that the tech school wouldn't take it. Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth.

OP
dklawson

dklawson

Yoda
Keoke, if your suggested search was to direct me to www.junkmycar.com , my wife and I tried that last year when we thought we HAD to get rid of the car for insurance purposes. The online utility did not result in any of the promised contacts from local services.

I was disappointed that neither the trade school nor the re-hab center wanted the car. I've got a couple of additional leads to follow up on. I'll post here what finally happens to the poor old Rabbit.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yep DK that was my thinking. However, here is what we do at the shop in these cases. We cut the car up put it in the alley and call the salvage people. They almost run into each other picking up the pieces. Don't understand that but it never fails to work.---Keoke

beaulieu

Jedi Warrior
craigslist

VW Rabbit , gas motor , 2 door hardtop,
ran when parked , gets 35-40mpg

throw on a couple photos......

$200

$50 scares them away , $200 gets them there to offer you $100

bet its gone in a few days