• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Accustic qualities of RR underpasses

gsalt57tr3

Jedi Warrior
I am back on the road!

The joy of driving to work (is that an oxymoron?) can be enhanced if you find the right route. Mine takes me through 2 railroad underpasses. The first is of recent construction, the second was built during the 30s.

I find the second, older underpass to have better echo qualities, especially if I accelerate at just the right point.

Anyone else have any observations on this point?

CinneaghTR

Jedi Warrior
I like driving through deserted downtown areas on a weekend. You get the blast from the exhaust bouncing off the buildings and also get to see you and the car's reflection in the building windows. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Is that LBC vanity? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
Theres a great tunnel on Route 15 (merrit pkwy) going in and out of New Haven

VVVVVRRRRROOOOOOMMM! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

OP
gsalt57tr3

gsalt57tr3

Jedi Warrior
[ QUOTE ]
I like driving through deserted downtown areas on a weekend. You get the blast from the exhaust bouncing off the buildings and also get to see you and the car's reflection in the building windows. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Is that LBC vanity? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LBC Vanity? Is that a bad thing?

Harry_Ward

Jedi Knight
Country flag
LBC Vanity? Is that a bad thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

For me it's the route 8 overpass in downtown Seymour in 2nd or 3rd gear, OD off. Actually gets some head turning action going on during rush hour. Got to find me some buildings though and check that vanity thing out.

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
Yeeeeeeeeeeeee Hawwwwwwwwww!!!

gjh2007

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I may have posted this before, but in the late 70's when I belonged to the Long Island TR club I was running a TR250 with late model 6 dual manifold through the original ANSA 4 tailpies. We did a winery tour & on the way home about 15 of us were cruising RT 95 into NY near Larchmont, NY. There is an underpass you go through that is 1000' long & six lanes wide. We timed the traffic backup to allow almost the entire length of the tunnel to be open in front of us & all held our revs as long as we could through 3rd gear.

I can still remember the sound of at least 10 TR6's & 250's cranking through with that beautiful sound!

Photo of underpass attached.

Attachments

• 257362-overpass.jpg
    257362-overpass.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 66

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
Golden Gate Park in San Francisco then over the Golden Gate Bridge to Marin, a couple of neat tunnels and a sporty drive, but that was in the late 60's before it all became a parking lot.

MadRiver

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Had to drive through the 9th Street Tunnel in DC today. Let's just say that Greenie's Strebo exhaust, combined with an aggressive downshift into third produced a most pleasing reverberation. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OP
gsalt57tr3

gsalt57tr3

Jedi Warrior
OK, here you go.

How about the highway 41 entrance to Yosemite Valley in Yosemite National Park?

Almost exactly 1.25 miles long through solid granite, with a slight downhill slope.

Might just try that one this weekend, only 95 miles away!

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
Sounds like an awsome ride! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

MGTF1250Dave

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
There is a highway over pass that I drive under on the way to work. I make a turn on to get on to the street, so I'm shifting and accelerating. The sound is one of the small joys of my day. On the drive home there is a small hill right after an intersection and the road is cut into the slope, that also sounds great.

Musicman

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Up Boulder Canyon about 5 miles there's an old stone tunnel that has great acoustic properties. Accelerating through there is always a complete joy. So is a good down shift. When the car "growls" the reverberation is intense.

Dave

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
"Is that LBC vanity?"

Some might call it Miata envy..........

OP
gsalt57tr3

gsalt57tr3

Jedi Warrior
[ QUOTE ]
"Is that LBC vanity?"

Some might call it Miata envy..........

[/ QUOTE ]

NOT!

My license plate frame says "BECAUSE ANYONE CAN DRIVE A MIATA"

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I drive through the Lackawanna Cutoff Tunnel on Rt. 206 in NJ almost every day. It is about 100 years old.

In fact, I followed four Harleys throught it today (with the top down in the Miata). What a racket!
I've been in the tunnel when a truck runs it's Jake Brake....deafening!

I also drive through the tiny While Hall Tunnel (built in 1848) about once a week. Many years ago, I was driving my Plymouth Cricket (nee: Hillman Avenger) through this tunnel when a drunk speeding in a van ran into me head-on. I had belts on so I was OK, but the Cricket was totaled. I used the insurance money from the accident to buy a VW Rabbit, which was a much better car.

Lackawanna Cutoff Tunnel (Sussex, NJ)
tunnel.jpg

White Hall Tunnel (Sussex, NJ)
CutoffHoleInWall.gif

And for the record, neither my Spridget nor my Miata have any envy for each other....both great cars that are easy right to drive up to the limit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Harry_Ward

Jedi Knight
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
OK, here you go.

How about the highway 41 entrance to Yosemite Valley in Yosemite National Park?

Almost exactly 1.25 miles long through solid granite, with a slight downhill slope.

Might just try that one this weekend, only 95 miles away!

[/ QUOTE ]

1.25 miles long! Better put in the ear plugs if your taking the 3.

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
pix? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
In 88' I drove my GT6 thru the Cheasepeak Bay Bridge Tunnel

Awesome sound driving 80 mph thru 17 miles of tunnel and bridge....w/a truck on my boot! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif