• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Elan with "patina"

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I just found this Elan on the web page of my local MG club. It's obviously a New Jersey car (as indicated by the plates).
I like the lowered suspension, the roll bar and the semi-ratty appearence. If I had it, I'd be tempted to drive it 'as-is"....sort of a Rat-Rod Elan ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Local Elan
Img_1936.JPG

michalotti_tr

Jedi Knight
We'd love to welcome you to the British Rat-Fink Club here at BCF if you get it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

Those are only the second set of J.A. Pearce magnesium wheels I've seen - the first set were on my car, and I sold them to a man in England who paid to ship them back. Put them on an MGC.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Exactly!Although I'm getting really tired of the term "rat rod" on E-bay,etc.
- Doug

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Whoa! If the price is good, you'd have what appears to be a well-prepped, if "cosmetically challenged" Elan... call it the latest in Urban Canoflage! It'd likely send the BoyRacers into apoplexy on first encounter, too. I like it!

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
hmmm... not entirely... granted, as with any other 'group' of people ( BCF withstanding /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ), there are those that are just plain ignorant. I know quite a few "BoyRacer" types that recognize a Lotus badge when they see one. Shave the badges from the car though... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

Camshaft

Jedi Knight
To me, there's something strangely alluring and uniquely fun/cool about driving a ratty LBC. A ratty old Mustang or Camaro is still a ratty old car, but a ratty LBC still has a little class to it. You can tell it will be something someday. I love not having any carpet in my B, the hot air from the spinning driveshaft keeps me warm in the fall Ohio climate, plus the lack of a passenger seat means that my bookbag fits inside the car just fine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I guess what i'm trying to say is, I would drive that Elan EVERYWHERE. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I HAVE driven mine "everywhere." Sometimes it was in "mint" condition, other times it looked like an old shoe... cosmetics don't mean as much to me now as in my "younger day."

Case in point: Last Sunday afternoon I was driving the Italian Rat Alfa, following a friend to retrieve her THIRD Fiat 124 Spider purchase. In traffic a Mercury (the small convertible they made in the eighties-- no CLUE what it was called) is sitting beside me and the driver says to the passenger (both mid-twenties males) "That's a real piece of ***T" Purposely loud enuff for me to hear.... "YEAH,cosmetically... from what you're piloting there you'd obviously know another piece of ***T when ya see one." Light change and *BRRRRATTTT!!!* ...I'm GONE.

Maroons. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
and the more I see them in any state of cosmetic appearance, the more and more I find my self wanting to get one of these Elans...

Side note: There seems to be an abnormally large amount of Elan M100s in my area. Owner of a garage down the street from me drives his daily, and I see probably 2 different other M100s on my way to and from work every day.

How are those front-drive Loti? Really. I've always understood them to be the bastard-child of the Lotus family, but a really old "Top Gear" episode reviewed it (when new) and claimed it was great fun... for a front drive car. From watching eBay they seem to be the cheapest Lotus cars on the market, too.

Hmmmm... on second thought, if I got one of those M100s I think I'd be left forever wishing had I pinched pennies a bit longer to get a "proper" Elan.

Still, I'd like to know more about the M100. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
All ya need to know is: In England they're (M100 "FAKE Elans") considered hairdressers' preferred car... Save yer sheckles and find a REAL one, laddie!

Camshaft

Jedi Knight
[ QUOTE ]
In traffic a Mercury (the small convertible they made in the eighties-- no CLUE what it was called) is sitting beside me and the driver says to the passenger (both mid-twenties males) "That's a real piece of ***T" Purposely loud enuff for me to hear.... "YEAH,cosmetically... from what you're piloting there you'd obviously know another piece of ***T when ya see one." Light change and *BRRRRATTTT!!!* ...I'm GONE.

Maroons. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Late Capris blow like head gaskets on Vegas. The early Capris, on the other hand...

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
T'weren't no Capri. This was a two-seater... Some sorta Deee-troit hopeful like the Metro convertable. Not a contender in th' scheme of things.

I'lldo th' homework to discern th' "model" it was.

RomanH

Jedi Knight
Doc, Camshaft is right. The two seat Mercury was called Capri.
This is what is writen about it on Wikipedia.
"Ford Australia produced a Mazda Miata rival named the Ford Capri from 1989, which was ironically based around many Mazda 323 mechanicals. From the 1991 model year, this car was sold in North America as the Mercury Capri. The car was sold until the 1994 model year."

Camshaft

Jedi Knight
Weren't those M100s Isuzu-based? Probably the same partnership that gave rise to those Impulses with the "Handling by Lotus" badges... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

swift6

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
Weren't those M100s Isuzu-based? Probably the same partnership that gave rise to those Impulses with the "Handling by Lotus" badges... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Isuzu engine and GM switchgear and steering wheel in the cockpit.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Hmm... okay. Capri it is. Still a silly looking lump for a "sportscar" IMO.

swift6

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
Hmm... okay. Capri it is. Still a silly looking lump for a "sportscar" IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, right up there with the convertible Geo Metro. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

I actually wanted one of these at one point. They do have the dreaded head gasket problems, and were basically a parts bin car - like the pontiac fiero... But the last year model Capri XR2 (much like the fiero) recieved mostly new designed suspension, 4 wheel discs, and had a turbocharged engine. There is a back seat, but only suitable for small 4 year olds (smaller than in a MGB GT).
capri_cabrio.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
30 seconds or less with mine, John. Got it down to a one-hand spring removal drill. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
30 seconds or less with mine, John. Got it down to a one-hand spring removal drill. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, at my age I'm not as fast. I could maybe get it down to 45 sec but no better.