• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Brit saloons at car day.

Simon TR4a

Jedi Knight
On Sunday I was at the Toronto Triumph Club British Car Day, and among the 1046 cars (less 2 Alfas that were let in for some reason!) were a beautiful A60 Cambridge, a Humber Super Snipe and a Hillman Minx convertible in pale blue.
Of course, there were lots of the more common Minors and so on, but these three really caught my attention. The amount of legroom in the back of an Austin A60 is amazing.
Sherlock would have loved the show.
Simon.

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Yeah... Probably Michael & Dawn's Super Snipe (they also own that gorgeous blue 1950 Ford Prefect often seen at shows in southern Ontario).

I used to live in southern Ontario for a couple of years and always attended that show.

Speaking of Alfa's... There used to be a friend of mine who often attended with his Citroen... His Citroen that was built at the Slough, U.K. plant, therefore British, figure that out... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

And I also remember the furore when a guy showed up in his totally street-rodded Triumph Mayflower, a few people I talked were actually quite upset about a hot rod like that being allowed into the Triumph section.

Good memories all around anyway.

OP
Simon TR4a

Simon TR4a

Jedi Knight
Unfortunately I didn't see everything as I spent a few hours at the registration desk and on membership sign-up duty.
There were 2 Herald convertibles, one a 12/50 belonging to Wayne and Debbie McGill, well-known club members, and a red one I hadn't seen before.
In past years we have had a Mayflower, and a guy named Mark Donaldson used to have a 2000 Saloon, but sold it, and the new owner does not attend. We have never had a Vanguard as far as I remember, or a Standard 10 or Renown.

Back onto other makes, I enjoyed a display of 3 "Z cars" Ford Zephyrs and Zodiacs, a 1934 Armstrong Siddeley, Daimlers and Jags.

As most of the cars left I saw a group of MGAs all parked side by side, about 10 of them including 2 coupes. Apart from this being a lot of MGA's, with no other cars around, they were all either red or white, and all gorgeous, a sight I will remember for many years!

Simon.

KLUTZ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
(less 2 Alfas that were let in for some reason!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Also noticed that blue Bugatti in attendance. That doesn't sound British to me either /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Great show as always. Hats off to the TTC again, for a well organized and sunny day.

Paul

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
That would be Paul's handbuilt replica... (a different Paul)

46982159_91c803fd23.jpg

That car has all sorts of different bits in it, a few British among them, I think he is allowed into most of the British shows with it... He's a great guy too

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Can you imagine allowing a British car (TR6,MGB,etc.),
at a Ferrari,Porsche,BMW ,etc. meet?
Just a thought.

- Doug

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
It's funny that you had a Humber Super Snipe and pale blue Hillman convertible at your event.
I was at the Moss Motors show here in NJ that weekend and we had the exact same two cars (parked next to each other, in fact). The Humber was black.
MGAs were popular at our event too.
We had maybe 50 cars at best....you had quite a turnout!
That is a nice Bugatti replica....the Type 35 is my all-time favourite car! The Sprite-based "quasi-Seven" I'm building will look something like that when it's done.

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Yes that Bugatti handbuilt is excellent, I remember it well from when I lived in Ontario. One of the many cars I wish I had the chance to photograph with my far better current camera gear (I only got a good camera since I moved back to Alberta...)

The current owner isn't the constructor, but he has incorporated a few of his own changes since he purchased it. He hangs out quite abit with the British car folk of southern Ontario, and has at various times been a member of the British Saloon Car Club of Canada.

KLUTZ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I thought it was the "Real" Bugatti that was in the showroom of "The Guild Automotive" in my home town, for the better part of three years. Sure looked the same as the origional. They wanted over a half million U.S. bucks for that one.

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
The Guild of Automotive Restorers... Fabulous place! They may be surrounded by fantastic vintage cars, but they are also very down to earth people at the same time...

I believe some cars essentially get "stored" there for public display even after they are sold.

KLUTZ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
The Guild of Automotive Restorers... Fabulous place! They may be surrounded by fantastic vintage cars, but they are also very down to earth people at the same time...

[/ QUOTE ]

They sure are... That is also where I get all my POR 15 products from. Very friendly and always willing to answer questions when I go in there.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I was there last week - sigh - Actually it amazed me some of the cars being worked on. The 80's vintage Firebird/ Camaro particularly. I would have thought the Guild would be a bit expensive for all but rarer cars

KLUTZ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I would have thought the Guild would be a bit expensive for all but rarer cars

[/ QUOTE ]

OH.. Not at all...

They would have made my TR7 look better then new for only $13,000 a couple years ago. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I went to Maaco instead. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Simon;

When will they have the classification winners posted on the TTC site, from BCD?

Paul

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Re: The Guild

I have a friend (who I haven't heard from in ages), had an early-50's Humber Pullman limousine, the big one! It needed a full restoration from what I was told, he mentioned to me that he got a quote from The Guild for some of the restoration work, big bucks! It wouldn't have been worth it for the restored value of the car so he declined