• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Miata seat conversion

roofman

Jedi Knight
I believe on this or another forum, there was discussion on Mazda miata seat conversion for TR6. Does anyone know of the individual whom was making converion sliders for this conversion?

OP
roofman

roofman

Jedi Knight
Hey, Don. If you sent a PM it did not go through. Jim

OP
roofman

roofman

Jedi Knight
Re: Miata seat conversion- Anyone done this?

I found it Don. Thank you for the info. on putting in a spitfire. Has anyone put Miata seats in their TR6? If so what advice can you give?

OP
roofman

roofman

Jedi Knight

How easy is it to put Mazda Miata seats in a TR6? Any advice from the educated would be appreciated.

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag

dont do it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif

(just my opinion) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

michalotti_tr

Jedi Knight

I have Miata seats for my TR4A and I love them, and the best advice I can give is to get Roger Williams "How to Improve Triumph TR5,250 & 6" Good instructions and diagrams in there.
Might give you other ideas too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

rooster

Jedi Trainee
Country flag

Hi,

I've been wanting to put in a set of Miata seats into my TR6 for a while, the only thing holding me back is not being able to get a reasonably priced set of seats locally.

Anyhow I have measurd the dimsnsions of the Miata seat mounting brackets (go to telgerizer.com for the dimensions)and if you use only the Miata brackets and drill new mounting holdes for them, one of the holes on each seat will have to go through the frame!! If I remember correctly its the inside rear mount bolt hole.

So the best way is to use the existing holes and fabricate either an adapter, or a whole new bracket like the link above.

Hope this helps.

Todd

OP
roofman

roofman

Jedi Knight

Thanks for the info. Gentlemen

hondo402000

Darth Vader

I put miata seats in mine, I hope the attachement uploaded, purchased a used set for 100.00 bought the leather set covers, did that myself too, that was not too hard just had to be patient doing the recovering, I made the frames from 1 inch angle iron using the existing tracks for a pattern, it took a little fiddling to get them right but I like the fit and feel. I didnt care about originality, and I do have the original seats

OP
roofman

roofman

Jedi Knight

Do they sit much higher?

OP
roofman

roofman

Jedi Knight

Hondo the attachment won't open.

OP
roofman

roofman

Jedi Knight

roofmeister57@hotmail.com is my email. Could you send the pix to my email? Jim

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag

Caution: from another forum comes the news that all Miata seats are not created equal. Early seats, 90 thru 92 and maybe a little later are VERY comfortable, later seats (somewhere around 95 and newer are much less comfortable. I have 92 seats (in a 92 Miata) and they are GREAT. Bob

Winston

Jedi Trainee

As long as this topic has reopened I'd like to throw in my 2 cents worth.
I am considering leaving all insurance coverage in place this winter because I have a passenger side toeboard that needs replacement as well as a list of other projects that I really need to be in the fab shop to accomplish.
That being said I am going to have the original seats done. They are in decent shape but It's time to have this done.
I will need a seat for the drivers side while the seats are out and have done a little research and found something that is new and quite affordable and can be resold when the originals go back into the car.
I hesitate because the measurements are so close right now I'm not sure this seat will adapt.
If you look at www.SUMMITRACING.COM and go to the Jeep section you will find a bestop product called the Trailmax classic seat with low back. They sell for $119.00 and there is free shipping.
The width of the seat is 20.5" versus 19" for the original seat.
I will have to fabricate a couple of simple brackets but I fear the seats might be just a bit wide, it would be real close.
I've not yet decided to go this route but if it works it will allow me to keep the car on the road all winter to do many of the things that I hate to waste time on during driving season in the midwest.
Already have a very reasonable quote to recover the original seats from a local business that has been in town 50 some years and is still family owned and operated.
I have some pretty major work planned for the winter but I will have to shuttle back and forth so I will need something and I don't want to ride on newly recovered seats when there won't be any carpet in the car.
Just some thoughts, like I said I'm not sure this will fit so please don't run up a couple of hundred bucks on your credit card just because of my little crazy idea.

OP
roofman

roofman

Jedi Knight

I have found that the width is in fact critical, as also is the hieght of the seat bottom from the floor. While the 1-1 1/2 inch width seams close you have to consider the part with the levers is wider,room for seat belt, and many seats are higher in the base forcing your legs up into the steering wheel.

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag

Hi Winston. The Bestop Trailmax is also available from JC Whitney. The Whitney site has a review on the seat, the reviewer stated that the seat set higher by an inch or two from the stock Jeep seat; that is a big problem in a TR. I used a Corbeau in my 4 and had to thin down the bottom cusion. I am 5'11".