• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 New Aloy Head

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
A few months ago a bit was reported about a new aloy head with cross flow design was being developed. Any progress reports on the new head?

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I've been waiting to hear more about that but nothing so far from what I've seen.

ALLAN

Jedi Warrior
The one I remember seeing was not a cross flow. I think it would be hard to make a cross flow for the 6 because of the position of the lifters/push rods and how close they are together.

swift6

Yoda
The alloy head that Canley Classics is producing is not crossflow. I have not heard dates or prices yet but expect the $$$ to be outrageous.

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi,

Hmmmm. I've never heard of a cross flow head for any TR.

For the 4-cylinder TRs, an aluminum head has been available for some time ($3200!), but isn't cross flow. Perhaps one reason this was brought about was the popularity of upgrading all the earlier models to the last TR4A head for best performance. With a shortage of spares and enough demand, a cast iron version eventually was made, making it fairly simple to develop an aluminum version, as well.

The Canley head (non-cross flow) in development is the only alu head I've heard of for TR6.

There *are* cross flow heads for Sprite/Midget and MGA/MGB, some (all?) of which are aluminum.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

G

i swapped a couple of emails with the canley guy a few months back. i wanted to try one, but they were still in the development stage then. he reckoned the price was going to be in line with that of the 4-cyl. its not x-flow and weight seems to be the main advantage. it *might* flow better, but i'd want to see the #s. i stayed with the stock head and had it flowed.

if anyone has a spare 3k i'd still like to see the flow numbers.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Hi,

Hmmmm. I've never heard of a cross flow head for any TR.

[/ QUOTE ]

TR8 - they've got TWO of them! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

Mickey

G

I had my stock head reworked to increase the cr to 9.5:1, new valves, springs, guides and had it ported and polished and the head flowed with the intake. Along with the other improvements I already had (trips, etc.) I spent way, way under a grand, including shipping, to achieve what I feel is close to the PI unit in performance. I added the GP2 cam and custom-length chrome-moly push rods and tuning it is a charm.

Al head would add major bucks to this and not achieve much more in the way of performance, except to lose about 40 lbs.
(and that is not British lbs.)

Bill

G

Bill - I totally agree with you.

3k gets you wiseco pistons, carillo rods and a custom grind cam. until i see the #s that seems like a better deal...

swift6

Yoda
As there seems to be quite a bit of good competition in a few different UK race series, with plenty of TR6's, GT6's, 2000 and 2500 Saloons, that spending the coin to get that last bit of advantage could still be feasible. Shaving 2/3's the weight of the head, using an alloy water pump housing and pump etc... could translate to a slight power to weight ratio and lowered roll center for handling. Plus, aluminum can take higher levels of compression easier than cast iron. Gets into the 'luxury item' range for a street car though.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Interesting, while viewing a plethera of MGC's at the Portland show, I noticed the head on that 6 is crossflow. Whose block did the folks at MG land use on that engine?
Don

billspit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Other than lowering weight, the big advantage with aluminum heads comes when you get to higher compression ratios. Seems you get less pre-detonation.

bobh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The MGC used a 6 cylinder 2912cc engine similar to the Healey 3000. I believe the cylnder spacing was different. Closer together to shorten the overall length. Someone else may know more, or remember more that I do. I've only seen a handfull of these cars. I don't recall ever seeing one with a cross flow head.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Bob- It was godly hot that day, maybe I didn't see correctly.
Don

bobh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Don,
That's OK. I'm sticking my neck out by trusting my memory from 30 years ago. Particularly about the cylinder spacing. Tony Barnhart on the MG forum would know about these. I believe he has one in his collection. Did you know that the MGC had an optional automatic transmission?
On the subject of Healeys and alloy heads there is a company in Australia that makes an alloy head for the big Healey. I also read recently about an alloy block they are perfecting. IMMDFM (If my memory doesn't fail me)The number of big Healeys produced was slightly higher than the number of TR6s, but I think the Healey boys and girls have a bit more cash to throw at their rides with the expectation of a decent return if they decide to sell.
"The mind is a terrible thing"

ALLAN

Jedi Warrior
Cross flow cant be done on the TR-6s because the the lifters/push rods are all spaced too close together--no room for the ports. I dont know about the Tr 4cyl. but on the MG heads there is a space between each set of lifter/push rods with room for the cross flow port. As it has been mentioned--a TR aluminum non cross flow head is only good for the weight savings or if you are running super high compression.

swift6

Yoda
If someone really wanted to do a crossflow head it could be done. But it would have to evolve into a twin overhead cam unit with the cams being driven off of a jack shaft. Similar to how the Ford Kent engine was made into a crossflow design and those twin cams are legendary. It could be done, but would it be worth the cost and the engineering aggravation. We are in a whole different time than when the Ford/Lotus 'twink' was developed. However, the thought of a miniature Jaguar XK/Aston Martin DB type of engine under the bonnet would certainly be fun!