• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Good and inexpensive stereo recommendation?

MadRiver

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Can anyone recommend a good and unobtrusive stereo for my 250? I think it's time to remove the 20 year old tape deck. I'm not looking for super top end, but something that will play cds and will easily fit into the dash support without doing much violence to it to make it fit.

Thanks!

B.

77_MG_Midget

Jedi Trainee
Bill,

I just bought a Kenwood KDC-MP632U stereo for my MG Midget. Plays CDs, CD-R, CD-RW, AAC, WMA, MP3 formats, USB Connnection, Aux Input, CD Changer hookup, Remote, all for $145.00. Fits pretty nicely without any real mods to the car. Not sure about the 250's, but I'd think any single DIN stereo would be about the same size wise. I do know that Eclipse makes a nice stereo that is about 3/4" shorter (front to back) than most stereos are.

Just my 2 cents, but I'd stick with Kenwood, Clarion, Pioneer, Alpine or Eclipse. You get what you pay for.

I bought mine online through MillionBuy.Com. They also sell on E-Bay and sometimes you can get a little better price through them going that route.

Hope this helps!

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif
if you go with a no name brand chances are yer gunna replace it before to long, It may be worth spending a few xtra bucks... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

Adrio

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I have thought of this as well and I figure it is a trade off between quality and the temptation for the bad guys to try and steel it. I may be tempted to go with the cheaper version for that reason. After all with the nice exhaust note we have the stereo music will be playing second fiddle.

Harry_Ward

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Installed a Sony CD/AM/FM Wal de Mart special in the sons car with the removable front and no one has stolen it (because he removes the front when he leaves the car) and it still works good for playing all that head banger music he listens to. I will never put a radio in the 3. I just listen to the exhaust to make sure it's still running and never ever do you want to short change Mr. Lucas. Don't forget to Install the added, included, and needed in-line fuses.

OP
MadRiver

MadRiver

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Don't forget to Install the added, included, and needed in-line fuses.

[/ QUOTE ]

That raises a great issue. I haven't pulled out the old radio yet, which was installed by the PO -- I would love advice on how to install, where to get power from, fuses, etc. I also fear Mr. Lucas. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Harry_Ward

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I have a 3 with positive ground and wouldn't want to miss lead you (pun intended). Hopefully one of the 6 or 250 owners will chime in. Usually the fuse goes to the + positive side of the power supply either direct from the positive side of the battery, or fuse block feed from ignition accessory. The size of the fuse will depend on what the radio draws in amps. The radio you buy will usually have an in-line fuse with it or it will tell you what size fuse it requires.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
That raises a great issue. I haven't pulled out the old radio yet, which was installed by the PO -- I would love advice on how to install, where to get power from, fuses, etc. I also fear Mr. Lucas. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]FEAR Mr. Lucas? Pay no attention to that man behind the smoke. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Power on most 1960s Triumphs would've come directly from the "accessory" terminal on the back of the ignition switch. Of course, some earlier 1960s Triumphs had no such position on the switch and, therefore, no such terminal. In that situation (at least on Heralds, with which I'm most familiar), the inline-fuse-protected power lead from the radio went to one side of the heater blower toggle switch with a "piggyback" terminal to enable both it and the original lead to be fitted to the terminal.

Tomster

Jedi Knight
Same issue:
Many years ago I bored the two knob and rectangular slot holes req'd for the deck to be installed in the tunnel, shift, dash support consul /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pukeface.gif
Destroy a little more of that precious plinth .... I don't think so. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nopity.gif
Solutions????

D

DougF

I bought an Alpine system with a remote CD player(installed behind the passenger seat) 6x9 two way rears and 4 1/2" fronts,on ebay. It's an older unit with removable face.
My idea was to find a set up that was of decent quality and inexpensive. If it gets rained on or stolen, I'm out a very nice unit and about $80.00. I was very fortunate with this find.

ez_pa_6

Freshman Member
Country flag
I bought a Pioneer DEH-27MP for my 6 this spring. The key for me was the detachable faceplate. Easy to take off and put back on. I think that's a must for our cars.

Ed

G

I bought the Falcon SS system with dual woofers. It's volume is modulated with a pedal that happens to control vehicle acceleration. Really kinda cool.

Can get really loud, on demand.

Bill

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Bill, I believe that is to be classified as an "FM" (foot modulated) system

swift6

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
I bought the Falcon SS system with dual woofers. It's volume is modulated with a pedal that happens to control vehicle acceleration. Really kinda cool.

Can get really loud, on demand.

Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

Beat me to it Bill. Good on ya!