• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Famous Last Words

ObiRichKanobi

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I learned a valuable lesson Monday...NEVER TALK GOOD ABOUT YOUR CAR WITHIN EARSHOT!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif

Here's the story...

Our LBC Club had a parade entry in Park City's Miners Day parade. Me, daughter, and the Spider made the trip and the car ran GREAT! Parked at the top of the hill in the marshal area, and in the course of idle chatter, mentioned that my car had been really reliable; in fact I wouldn't hesitate to take it almost anywhere. Got the "start your engines" signal, and that exactly what the Spider DIDN'T do. Cranked like crazy, but no life at all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Luckily, the parade route is all downhill, so just coasted all the way to the park at the end of the route.

Parked it and several club members started helping me toubleshoot. Had gas, had spark. It would catch for a couple seconds, and you could just smell the raw gas spewing out the back. Oh...and the car is fuel injected. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif My immediate thought was ignition module, as it's had a real affinity for eating them, especially when hot. Of course, all the spares were at home (65 miles away). Luckily, one club member committed heresy (brought his Mercedes) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif and gave us a ride home. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Grabbed spares and tools, and headed back up the mountain. Replaced module (took about 10 minutes), turned key...no better. RATS /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif Pull out another spare...no better. RATS! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif Looking at the prospect of an expensive tow home /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nopity.gif However, a guy that's done lots of the heavier work on it lives in Park City. Went on a quest to find his house. Success!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Mike rides back and starts troubleshooting. Plugs soaked in gas, good spark...hmmmmm. Made two trips back and forth to his house for tools and parts. No good. About ready to call a wrecker to haul it to his house, and he looks at a connector...on the ECU's coolant temp sensor. Falls right off in his hand! He holds it down, I crank, and the car starts and runs fine...just like nothing happened. With the broken connection, the ECU thought it was 100 degrees below zero and was just dumping gas through the injectors trying to get it running. Silly ECU /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Ok...connector's shot...gotta spare? Heck no! Mike, you got a spare? Heck no! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif What to do, what to do. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Ah-ha! The cold start injector uses the same connecter. It's 80 degrees outside (26.5 for those using C), so it's not needed to get it started. Ok, wires cut and spliced, now need electrical tape. None! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nopity.gif Oh wait a minute...I had a old piece of romex in the trunk, and had about 3 twists on it. Tape it up, and off I go /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif (with daughter in the chase vehicle). 70+ mph, ran like a champ again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

Moral of Story...Never say nice things about your car when it can overhear you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

roofman

Jedi Knight
I have learned it is better to wait until the entire trip has been completed, and we are safely home before I talk to, of , or about my car. I then thank her for the trouble free trip, then check her oil to show I care.

MadRiver

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Interesting. My TR-250 seems to require continued praise and validation in order to keep running (I hope he's not listening)! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

TR_Jim

Jedi Trainee
I'm very glad my Triumphs have a wooden dash. Every time I think about how good the cars are running, I have to give the dashboard a tap. Knock on wood, never been standed... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
(I hope I don't regret posting this)

Trevor Triumph

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Yeah, I had the same sort of thing a few years ago. We getting ready to leave on the yearly Phoenix to Flagstaff drive and I noted that the car was running very well. Then added, "If it breaks I'll fix it." We parked the car halfway to Flag and had to tow it home two days later. But now we do encourage and affirm the car with fegular pats on the dash and kind words. T.T.

OP
ObiRichKanobi

ObiRichKanobi

Jedi Knight
Country flag
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gifvOh, you probably will regret it. I will say this nice thing about my car...it hasn't stranded me yet. It's always managed to get me where I was headed. Might have died when it got there, but then it was my final destination anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Bugeye58

Yoda
Rich, I learned of the unwritten rule about such things at a tender age.
I have considered offering ritual sacrifices before making long trips.
Jeff

D

Deleted member 3577

Ritual Sacrifices?.......Like,

Higher octane gas than it needs
Better quality oil than necessary
Tyres before they wear out
Shocks before they're shot
Supreme paranoia regarding anything Lucas
Gage obsessing
Shear panic over new noises

Yet.....I keep the trailer attached to my truck, fueled up and parked behind a friends house.
An extra cell phone battery in the Elva & my friends # on speed dial.
(As a MINIMUM.....At ALL times) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

I have had everyting on the car apart & probably replaced 1/2 of it.
I still break down on average 3 times per year (on the road) & require a tow one of those times. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif

I have spent MUCH more than I'd ever get out of the car.
Friends & family members think I've lost my mind.
BCF is the only place where anyone understands.

THANK YOU ALL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pa297pass

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
When I bought my TR6, the PO told me two things: Don't sit at a traffic light with my foot on the clutch, and don't ever yell at the car. Good advice ... I don't do either and for 16 years so far, it has never let me down.

Of course, between this posting, and the fact I have been lavishing all my attention on the new TR4, I am doomed. The next time I take the TR6 out I fully expect it to blow up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Matt

Adrio

Jedi Knight
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I'm very glad my Triumphs have a wooden dash. Every time I think about how good the cars are running, I have to give the dashboard a tap. Knock on wood,

[/ QUOTE ]
Now I know why they were made with that nice wood dash!

Tomster

Jedi Knight
Sorry, just on the voodoo factor alone, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif I dare not even add my two cents worth to this "Very Risky Topic"

jayhawk

Jedi Warrior
It's sort of like my golf game-- if I lower my expectations I'm not so disappointed and even do well on occasion!

kc_doyle

Jedi Trainee
My security blanket: Cell phone and towing ins. I was going to say I've not need either one but that would be asking for trouble.

R6MGS

Yoda
In 50 years I've never been stranded by an LBC....Ususally they don't get moving anywhere in the first place....But once the car is running everything has always been fine(knock,knock).

roofman

Jedi Knight
you just jinxed youself !!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

kc_doyle

Jedi Trainee
A number of years ago I was road tripping my 67 Spit and it started to miss and pop. I pulled to the side of the road and checked the points. The rub block had worn and they were too close. I set them by guess and stopped at a farm parts store. Wouldn't ya know they had a set of points to fit my little tractor engine. I borrowed a feeler guage and was on my way. Never was stranded. You just have to have faith and carry tools.

G

The distributor on my TR3 fell apart in Leesville, Louisiana. Needless to say, there weren't any LBC dealers in the middle of nowhere in 1972. An old farmer befriended me, checked out the engine and said, "...shucks, that thar ain't nuthin but a tractor engine." He helped me rig a distributor off his old Massey-Ferguson tractor. It ran. No kidding.

Bill

kc_doyle

Jedi Trainee
I don't know about the 3's, but I'm told that the early spit engines were Ferguson. That's what the points that I put in were.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Yup. the TR2-4a 4 cyl was the same engine they used in Furgeson tractors, among other things.
the really early TR2s even had a double thermostat housing that was a carryover from the tractor.
I can talk about my TR4A as it's down the road now. It was a heap. held togeather with tape and wire. but it never left me stranded, or failed to start with anything more than minor fiddling.
My old Toyota truck used to give me all kinds of fits till I would threaten to sell it for a newer car. then it would run so nice I just coulden't get rid of it. (for a while anyway)