• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

One of the best roads in the USA

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Just got back from a quick 2-day motorcycle road trip in Southern Utah. 780 miles in 2 days, amazing roads. A couple of pictures...

south_bike.jpg
south_arch.jpg

Went from home in Midway, to Capitol Reef national park on Satuday, and from there to Bryce Canyon national park on Sunday. The road from Capitol Reef to Bryce Canyon is about 60 miles of the most amazing driving. Lots of great twisties, and the views are amazing. The road drops into the top of Grand Staircase Escalante national monument. At one point the road is on a knife edge ridge, one lane in each direction with a 500-1000' drop off each side. Almost no shoulder. Amazing!

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Southern Utah is an amazing place to be on a motorcycle, though a good sports car or well-running LBC would be equally good. South-east Colorado is the same way. I could spend weeks driving round that area.

Stewart

Darth Vader
Country flag
Don't forget a good 4x4 as well. Southern Utah has some of the best and most scenic 4 wheeling in the world. The area around Moab is very very beautiful.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
They named a city after the "Mother Of All Bombs"? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Don't know about that, but there was a big uranium mine near Moab, so it would certainly fit.

Definitely a good 4x4 area. Makes me wish for my old Land Cruiser, or maybe even pine for a nice Series Land Rover.

Steve_S

Yoda
I've always loved the parks of Utah. We are driving our '49 MG TC from Los Angeles to Park City next year. I want to include some of the parks along the way.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
You'll have to let me know when you come out here. I work in Park City, live about 16 miles south in Midway. You coming out for a car event?

Parks in Utah are truly amazing. I've lived here 12 years, and still haven't hit them all. 6 National Parks I think, and a huge number of state parks. It's one of the reasons I still live here.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I should have remembered that GoF was going to be here. The British Motor Club of Utah, my local club, is sponsoring it. Since I don't have an MG, I guess I wasn't really paying close attention. I've got the dates written down now, so I'll make sure I'm in town.

tiga2

Jedi Trainee
...But watch out for the State cops in UT, speed traps all over!!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
That's the truth. Got a souvenir from my last motorcycle trip a month ago. Officers are very nice and professional, but any time I've been pulled over I've always gotten a ticket, never a warning. The small towns are the worst. If the limit is 35, you go 35--not 37, 35. Safer that way. They do tend to stay away from the mountain passes, though, which makes for better riding/driving! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Park City! I have a friend from there - Major General Jim Miller...was also the Dean of Education at the university & Adjutant General of Utah after he retired....you don't by any small chance know him?

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I don't know him. What branch of the service was he in? My father-in-law is ex-Air Force (doctor), and might. I'm not originally from here, so my contacts don't go all that deep.

Stewart

Darth Vader
Country flag
It's funny that Utah is so strict on speed enforcement but everytime I've gone through utah everyone's going warp 9 everywhere. And its worse in slc. Almost crazier than driving in L.A.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
It's a little odd here. Just have to know where the traps are. I gig in Park City a lot, and the cops are all over the main route out of town at about 1am, when the bars are letting out. Luckily for me, I go the back way.

It is nutty here, but at least there's fewer of us than in LA. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Everyone flies in Alabama.... Cops may or may not be there... and in town, the traps are advertised in the morning paper - so if you get busted, it's your own fault. But then, I don't speed anymore. Used to, but I grew up. I've seen 140mph in a tin can called a Honda CRX. I don't much have any desire to do that on a state highway anymore in the middle of the night. Call it my personal best or my personal worst... I'll not be doing it again. One of the reasons I'm getting the new job I am, is because of my perfect driving record. I don't even have a parking ticket or any accidents to my name. All I can say is that God was looking out for me during my teens and 20's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Most people aren't so lucky. I now think of the really bad stuff that can and usually does happen to people that speed and/or don't pay close attention to what they are doing while driving (after 13 years at a funeral job - I've burried them all).