• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What's on your garage floor

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I have seen many pics of garages here, and some of the floors are outstanding. Clean and painted? with somthing.

Do you have a pic and what did you use from where?

Guess who is thinking about doing something with his soonish.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Grease stains, parts laying everywhere, sawdust, leaves that blew in when doors were up.....

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Gesh, maybe time for some Rustolum Garage System stuff. Two part.

i have a FLOOR? hmmm i keep a path beaten down, from the front to the back...air hoses and extensions cords keep sprouting up over and over..

mark

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
[ QUOTE ]
Gesh, maybe time for some Rustolum Garage System stuff. Two part.

[/ QUOTE ]

Someday, Jack, someday......

Steve_S

Yoda
I've tried anmy products and finally found one hard as nails. It's the same stuff they use in aircraft hangers. I've poured brake fluid and solvents on it and it simply wipes up.

DSCN2681.jpg

kyreb1862

Jedi Knight
I think my garage floor is concrete! Haven't seen it in awhile. Maybe I'll excavate down to it one day to see for sure. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
Mostly cardboard. That way I can trace 'spots' on the cardboard to where they come from on the car and not upset the real flooring and the mrs.

wkilleffer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks for all the tips. They've given me alot to think about in my cave. My garage is one-car, attached to my 1950's house. The floor's concrete, and the walls are black and brown fibreboard. It has its original single light fixture that's nowhere near bright enough. Someone's also added a small, but inadaquate, flourescent fixture under the area where the garage door goes when it's up.

How hard is it to get the floor ready for painting? Are the paint kits pretty easy to use?

Thanks,

R6MGS

Yoda
Steve, I am going to have dreams tonight about your garage.

What I have on mine? CARS!...I have a 2 car garage with 4 cars in it....that leaves me about 4 feet of space infront of the workbench to work with....I actually did paint the floor with a concrete paint when the house was built(1986) but you'd never know now....It has completely vanished. I've heard about the new improved floor treatments, but I am worried about the salt that rides in with my Jag in the winter. So right now I have a blue tarp ducktaped down covering 3/4 of the floor(where the MG's are parked) and bare concrete under the Jag....I like the tarp because it prevents moisture from coming up in the winter.

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
I used drylok stuff for my garage floor, it required 'cleaning' which meant to me, go crazy with the leaf blower.
It is actually waterproof basement paint (specific for concrete) as opposed to expensive garage floor paint. I discovered by accident that it doesn't do too well with gasoline, but oil and drips and coolant just wipes up, only needed two quick coats with a roller and could park on it in less than 6 hours. Fills in little cracks too.

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Google Rustolum garage system for the two part paint and how to put it on. Seems fine and not too bad at all.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I don't dare say... there's apparently a gravity storm centered here. Looks like concrete but there's some "bits" stuck in. Sorta look like Lotus parts and Sears radial arm saws at the same time! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
On my garage floor? At the moment, everything that used to be in my "office" (converted old bedroom). I'm in the process of laying down oak floor in here and had to first move everything out! (If anyone tells you that laying a solid wood floor is easy, they're lying! (now you know where I've been lately)

Basil

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Two words: "Ceramic Tile!"

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Vat iss dis "pretty" ?!!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

jlaird,theres a bunch of systems out today that from what ive seen are excellent ranging from as low as $90.00-$400.00 for a typical size garage,mine however is simply painted with gray paint but i can tell you two things to consider since having been involved with a rather large aircraft hanger floor finish during its renovation, 1- anti slip agent of some kind is a must it comes in a variety of coarsness/texture and two-if your going to have a specific area around a work bench/table used for cleaning small parts or assembling things requiring several hours standing in that location you must have some type of padding under your feet i.e, washable rubber backed mats, left over carpeting you can later dispose of etc, this will relieve your feet,ankles,knees,back shoulders,and neck.dispite my reccomendations to do test spots the owners of the hanger they decided to paint the floor white with a two part epoxy system without using any antislip additive it was challenging to walk across this floor,when it was dry it was so smooth your feet stuck to it because there was no air between the floor and the bottom of your shoe causing a suction cup effect,when it was wet you had an ice skating rink, the white color reflected a lot of light and made it easy to find anything one might drop, those were good things, but it needed to be mopped ten times more often or it looked like heck real quick, they then went to the next extreme, they added something that was more coarse then beach sand to the next batch,now you couldnt kneel on it and you had to lift your feet real high to get away from it and made it more difficult to keep clean because a mop would catch on it and sqeegies couldnt be pushed or pull across it.they got it right the third time round, turned out the floor finnish was just about the most expensive item of the renovation. what the heck it was an oil company they could afford it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif