• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Road test of the GXP in the Oct 2006 C & D

JBsZ06

Jedi Hopeful
Sorry, had to remove the copyrighted material. C&D's lawyers would have been all over that.....

Harry_Ward

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Ditto what coldplugs is saying. A great roadster with a long waiting line and a pontiac dealership markup of anywhere from $4,500.00 to $8,000.00 over msrp. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif

OP
J

JBsZ06

Jedi Hopeful
sorry guys ..thought you'd enjoy the article on this little sports car.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Plus, what did it do to bandwidth usage? Is it online in C&D? If so, what's the url?

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
We appreciate the thought and your motive for sharing the article, but the publishers of it would take a dim view of it. It says in the magazine that none of the contents may be reproduced or electronically communicated without express permission of the publisher.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
which GXP is it? Solstice GXP?

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
ah... ok... sounds like it's going to be a hot car to drive... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I haven't seen the latest article yet, but I've read all of the past Solstice GXP/Sky Redline articles on C&D's website. Of course, those articles are all speculation.

I've been having fun on their site reading the brief history of the publication. Starting out as "Sports Cars Illustrated" and focusing primarily on British roadsters... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Nunyas, I have some old Sports Cars Illustrated (and many old Road and Tracks.) All those mags focused on British sports cars, because those were the cars that enthusiasts drove. They are great magazines.

As for the Solstice GXP, I think it's a good "first step" for GM, but I know that once the newness of this car wears out, the automotive press will do what it should be doing right now: slamming it for a complete lack of refinement and quality. Sure, hood panel fit on Miatas was pretty dim in the early years, but interiors were well made, steering was razor sharp, and transmissions were like hot knives through butter. The Solstice is downmarket interior-wise, the steering is dead, the shifter is uninspiring...oh but it out accelerates the MX-5. Very typical of GM, Ford and Chrysler: if you can't beat it in terms of driving dynamics and quality, just add horsepower and call it a day.

R6MGS

Yoda
I've got about half a dozen of those sports cars illustrated mags...Wish I had kept more of them....The 50th aniversary issue of car and driver included the 'birth story' and makes many LBC references.

MoPho

Jedi Trainee
What, did someone scan the mag and post it, because it is not on C/D's website yet?

have not got my issue yet, was it the red GXB being compared to a Boxter?

If so, I did the photography for the story /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
That was the one, it had been scanned and posted.

Congratulations on your work, it was VERY nice. Sorry I had to delete it, but you can appreciate the copyright issues involved.........

MoPho

Jedi Trainee
Thanks! No worries, I will get my issue in the next few days hopefully. I did the BMW 335i story as well. Not sure if there is anything else in this issue.
Next month I have the cover, which I am pretty thrilled about /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

MoPho

Jedi Trainee
Ugh, they severely cropped the photos and did not even include the best shot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I have the new Miata w/ the power hard top this weekend, much better car than the solstice, despite the power deficit IMO

Actually, like the Miata quite a bit, I think I may need to take the Lotus out so I don't like the Miata too much /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif