• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Insurance....Another rant

R6MGS

Yoda
As some of you know I've been looking to get my hands on a late model S10 as a beater and as a driver for my 17 year old son. So I finally find one I can live with but before I go ahead and buy it I decided to call up my insurance and get a quote(with the assumption my son will be a secondary driver)...My insurance company tell me that since I have 3 drivers in the house, and this will be the third car(LBC's and Camaro are with another company) my son will have to be primary driver on the S10 since my wife is already prinicple on the Caddy and I am principle on the Jag. Anyway with my son as the principle driver they quoted me $6,500!
Now I am in a position where I either have to pay the rediculous rate in order for my son to drive...or the only alternative I can think of is if I move the Jag over the other company with the LBC's and use it as a weekend car only. This will leave only the new truck and the Caddy as our two main drivers allowing my son to come on as secondary driver thus reaching a reasonable rate.
The part that gets me is that by forcing me to move one car to another firm(basically just to 'hide' it from them) their losing business.
After spending as much time on the road as I do i can understand why rates are so high....But you would think companies would want to keep customers instead of push them away.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
That's just weird! I'm the principal driver of a whole bunch of cars (about 8!) & Jerri's the principal on only 1...when Shannon, our daughter, was at home & driving, I was still the principle driver of her car - she only became the principal when she went away to college.

I'd dump that company altogether!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Think I would check all over, that is an awful price.

My 18 year old granddaughter has a BMW no less and her insurance is cheep.

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
Well tomorrow I am going to start calling around for some other quotes....I talked with some friends today and they have all been through the same thing with their companies...maybe they handle that kinda thing differently here? I don't want him principal anyway...It just boosts the rate for nothing. I am not driving the Jag to work now anyway so changing it over to specialty insurance is no big deal for me.
Tony, are those 8 cars insured as main drivers(to work, errands, etc) or are they weekend cars only? Because my weekend(or classic) insurance is under another company so it doesn't affect my normal cars.

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
BTW: Is my sig pic working? cuz it's not showing up for me.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
[ QUOTE ]
Tony, are those 8 cars insured as main drivers(to work, errands, etc) or are they weekend cars only?

[/ QUOTE ]

Since Jerri & I are both retired, all my cars are insured as recreational - my Dodge & Sonoma pickups are the closest things to a work car I have insured...everything else (Jerri's C280 included) is insured for less than 5,000 miles a year....my 280SL is driven on Sunday's, the MG's just depending on my whims...the Sonoma is probably my daily driver around town except on weekends when I drive the Dodge - & the Dodge is what we use for trips.

Now, if that ain't confusing, I don't know what is!

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
Yes, sig pic is coming through and I count....Four vehicles.

wierd, now it's not, just a red X in left corner..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Tony's pic is fine...that is crazy, it was there, then not?

Check the originating address.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Insurance generally is a mug's game. They have "rules" and stockholders... go to the old saw: "The house wins all ties."

They're set up to use the statistically proven averages. "No recourse, no right of appeal." I can't post the term I WANT so desperately to apply... Basil would go into apoplexy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Suffice it to say: Since we're willing (as "consumers") to pay a dollar for 16 oz. bottles of WATER and HUNDREDS for the priveledge of watching television from a "pipe", we should be willing to fork over THOUSANDS for the ability to be mobile in *our own* conveyances... Welcome to the 21st century. Please pay at the door. And check your weapons there as well.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Back when we had my Wife's Protege,& my Daughter's
Saturn on full coverage,& the rest of our vehicles on PL/PD,
I took one of the Cortina's off.
The person from the insurance company told me that my premium now was "only $4900 a year",to which I replied-
- "Only?"

BTW - Just how many cars can you drive at one time?

- Doug

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Well, assuming we don't concern ourselves with the 10+1 dimensions (or "branes") of super string theory, I'd say ONE at a time... but we don't have lobbyists in D.C. to champion LOGIC apparently.

The authors of the Constitution have gotta be turnin' at around 4,500 RPM about now. Redline imminent.

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
Thanks Baz....maybe the host of that pic(cardomain) is having trouble...I'll look into it later

Doc, I couldn't agree more...

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I'll say this: I don't see it as "out of line" so much as "truth of observation."

...but I'm only an egg...

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
I am honestly not sure if there is any difference....but it is very possible that there is.

I started looking at some online quotes and have determinded this is going to require ALOT of shopping around to get everything settled....All this insurance hassle has caused me to lose the truck I wanted, so now we're back to looking...When the next one turns up I am gunna get it right away and deal with insurance afterwards now that i know what i am in for.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
[ QUOTE ]
BTW: Is my sig pic working? cuz it's not showing up for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is now - I downloaded it from that site and uploaded it to my sever, then changed your signature link. It's possible that the place you had it hosted has some restriction on hot-linking to images (to conserve bandwidth).

Basil /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/computer.gif

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
Thank you Basil! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
It could be worse,you could live in British Columbia,
Canada.
They have ONE insurance company - if you don't like it,
too bad.
Imagine having a monoply in the insurance market.

- Doug

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
Ouch, I didn't know that....that would definatly not be the place for me.

KLUTZ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Ron. You can't "Hide" the other car from the insurance company. Everything is on computer and the Insurance Companies talk to each other and have information on everything. Ever try to lie about a ticket or somthing when checking out other companies? If you get caught trying to screw them around, which they have been doing for years, you will be blackballed and will not get insurance from any of them.
How do I know this? My Dad is our Broker.
We have ING and they are quite reasonable with our Daughter as third principal driver, even though she lives in another city for School. Our Son may be a differant story like your's in a few months though.

Remember.. The insurance companies are watching you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Welcome to 1984... err.. 1994... mmmm... 2004...

Well. Orr...

...something like that.