• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Old Tubes [& Flashbulbs]

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I seem to recall someoneone who collects old radio tubes.
I have a couple that I inhearted from my Father,along with a few old camera flashbulbs.
I was organizing my Dad's old color slides (from the late '40's on up),& came across these.
- Doug

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I just found an unmolested box of AG-1 flashbulbs in a 400' 35mm film can along with some pocket change, several rings I'd forgotten about, a box of matches from Cali, Columbia, some Thai money... herself is beginning a "hovel purge" and came across it in the course of things. It contained a bunch of "stuff" (read: dresser junk) from about 1974.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Slides, son is putting all the family sildes on DVD's. Takes about 7 min a slide he says. He is also enhanceing them at the same time. Wonder if I will ever see them.

OP
AngliaGT

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
What equipment does it take to do that?

- Doug

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
We've a scanner here: CyberView 35. It does take a bit of time but the result is amazing. I'm scanning B&W negs with it as well as transparencies. Bit of a purist so all I'm doing in the way of digital "adjustment" is retouching the dirt/dust and fixing any scratches, etc. Great tool. The room I'd used as my darkroom has become a storage unit... Anyone have a use for an Omega D-II 4x5 enlarger?!?!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yep the fixing he is doing was caused by old old slides turning readish or darkish over the years. No clue what kind of equip he is useing, something he has at work. He is a Computer engineer.

Dam wife looked good at 25, yehaw.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
We ALL looked good at 25, Jack. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

jsneddon

Jedi Knight
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone have a use for an Omega D-II 4x5 enlarger?!?!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd love to set it next to my Omega C760 but those suckers are HEAVY... almost not worth the price to ship it this far these days.... I've got 5 boxes full of glass plates my Granddad shot back in the teens that I've only been able to do contact prints with (they're not 4x5 and they're not quite 5x7... but I could make em fit in a modified 4x5 carrier)

[ QUOTE ]
We've a scanner here: CyberView 35.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which model do you have and if you don't mind... how much did it set you back? Just wondering if the cheaper one would be worth the money.... I've got thousands of slides and 10's of thousands of B$W negs I'd love to go through but I just can't bring myself to plunk down 400 bucks for a decent scanner and the flatbed adapter just doesn't cut it (see my racing pics site in my sig for the bad examples)

Speaking of Flashbulbs... back in school we found cases of flashbulbs with standard light bulb sockets in the basement of the old Photo Services building... You exchange a regular light bulb with one of these and they went off with a shocking white burst. We had a pull-chain socket over the EP2 processor so that students could judge the color of their prints in 'real' light instead of the industrial florescents all over the place and the look on their faces when that thing went off was priceless....

and well worth whatever retaliation they'd come up for me next /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

R6MGS

Yoda
I just sent in some old slides to have them converted to DVD....cost me a hundred and something for to big rolls....Haven't gotten them back yet, so we'll see how they come out

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Ain't THAT th' truth!

This D-II will likely wind up as scrap. Not worth shipping anyplace!

As for the scanner, it *was* $400 (see: Moore's Law)... but a lifetime of reflected light images, well... I'm VAIN. I'm good. I admit it: I'm a pro... Just ain't found that Pulitzer yet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

R6MG's: So, after you have the DVD's in-hand and the next generation has 'em, what are they gonna use to retrieve 'em? Do ya have any 33-1/3 RPM records? 8-track tapes? You see where this is going (see "Moore's Law" above). The "standards" are a misnomer. Storage/retrieval is a conundrum now. What's "archival" at this point?!?! The pace of obsolescence has accelerated to a point where there can be no reasonable expectation that ANY records will be retrieveable in thirty years. Glad I ain't twenty and I don't have progeny.

jsneddon

Jedi Knight
Country flag
see... that's the problem... you can digitize stuff but we're shooting ousrelves in the foot. With diligence you can move to the next big media now that it's just ones and zeros... but joe consumer isn't going to do that. And it's killing the print market. I'd be willing to bet that at LEAST 50% of the people with digital cameras end up NOT EVEN DOWNLOADING THEM TO THEIR COMPUTER. I know a lot of people who just have em in their camera and they'll plug them into the TV to show you. Once the card fills up they start purging the 'not so perfect' shots. 2 years from now the images are gone to make room for something else.

It's the 'not so perfect pictures' that you find in a box in Mom's basement from 30 years ago that will bring you to tears.

But even those prints are fading fast. Dye-sub will buy you 100 years. Negatives maybe that well (if someone actually processed them properly). We're going to have an entire generation with obsolete media and no snapshots of memories.

That's what it all boils down to. Not some fine-art foo-foo junk in a frame. It's the memories of your life. And they are going to be lost.

Make some prints right now and put them in an acid free box and stick them in a cool dry place before it is too late. And don't use the one-hour at Wal-Mart or Target or whatever. Use the cheap overnight service that goes into a YELLOW envelope. Those are the only people that are still sticking to the stringent process-control necessary to give your negs and prints a chance to survive more than 10 years.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
AMEN!!! "Yellow envelopes" have transported my images reliably across half the planet... and back. Beat wars and customs every time. Even thwarted the Italian mail service! It can't last much longer now.

I've always made it a policy to NOT look at proofs critically for six weeks... the ones ya think are the "winners" usually turn into klinkers and the "sleepers" or "grab shots" you'd toss on first view will contain the moment... How did we allow ourselves to be lured into this "instant gratification" mode?!?

...I'll blame Dr. Land /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
...or perhaps Philo Farnsworth!

swift6

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
AMEN!!! Even thwarted the Italian mail service!

[/ QUOTE ]

That is quite a feat in and of itself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif The Italian theory on the way their mail system works is that the mail is still delivered by mule trains and that the mules just wander around until they stumble upon the right destination. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

A nasty truth about digital storage is how POOR it actually is for archiving. Digital disc media, as in DVD's, CD's or even hard drives have an 'archival' life of about 5 years before they start to degrade. Five years is NOT archival, its temporary. Sure it might only start as a missing pixel here and there, not really a big deal. But if it drops a one or a zero in the wrong place you might not be able to even open the file. Don't believe what the industry marketing machines feed the consumer public. Remember the SONY digital tapes (the big reeel to reel jobbies) that were supposed to last twenty years? Well, now SONY admits that their life expectancy for full data retention was really about three months. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

The obvious solution is to continually transfer your 'digital archives' onto newer and newer media. It's also a side step to Moore's Law. However, that begins to introduce generational loss. Once again, no longer archival. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

jsneddon

Jedi Knight
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Is the yellow envelope associated with a brand?

[/ QUOTE ]

well yes and no. The point I was trying to make is to stick it in a bag that has yellow and red printing on it as the predominant scheme. It probably will make no mention of Kodak whatsoever. The wholesale labs that do decent work don't even call themselves Kodak. (But they are all indirectly owned by Kodak... Qualex is a name you might see on the bag... but you might not)

But.... If you've got 2 or 3 grocery chains that have overnight film drops and the bags are yellow that means that they are going to one of the main hubs networked around major cities and that chances are very very good that your stuff will be processed correctly.

They've all got a standard design on the bag with some room for the location's branding.

Some other color bag means it's going to some other place that is probably just barely hanging on at this point. They might have great quality, they might not.

I'm just saying if you can get your film to a kodak/qualex based overnight lab the odds are pretty slim that they are going to screw it up.

swift6

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
The wholesale labs that do decent work don't even call themselves Kodak. (But they are all indirectly owned by Kodak... Qualex is a name you might see on the bag... but you might not)

[/ QUOTE ]

If you see a little sign that says 'Q-Lab', sometimes with a Kodak 'K' near it. Then you are on the right track. When I worked for the advertising department of Morton Buildings in Morton Illinois, we used the Caterpillar photo lab which was a 24 hour Q-Lab. That was ten years ago now so I'm not sure if they are still there or not. I got to know the manager pretty well and when he was promoted to manage the Q-lab at Time/Life in NYC I was offered a personal tour the next time I was in NYC. Unfortunately when I was was last in NYC and tried to connect with him he was on a coprorate retreat. Bummer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif