• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New Pertronix Distributors Available!

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
We've been discussing new distributors, Pertronix in particular, in another thread & I had checked to see if they were available....GOOD NEWS!!! I can now get them new from Moss:

#143-116 Pertronix DISTRIBUTOR, ELEC, AFTERMARKET. MGB 1962-80. (CAN BE USED ON MGA AS WELL. VACUUM ADVANCE SET FOR 62-67 FOR PORTED VACUUM TO CARB. CURRENT FEED BACK ON MANIFOLD SOURCED VACUUM LATER CARS IS GOOD).
#143-125 Pertronix DISTRIBUTOR MG 12V POSITIVE GROUND

My guy at Moss told me everything is included to install, even the drive dog is already installed.

(NOTE: You guys convinced me to give them another try, so I've got one on order!)

JerryB

Jedi Warrior
"""""""Pertronix in particular, in another thread & I had checked to see if they were available"""""""

The new product release came from Pertronix 3/02/06 so its kinda old news.

Surely Moss jumped on the bandwagon at full list price (their usual 2% markup on acessories) of $302.58

Vacuum advance only and used a 45D4 replacement cap and rotor.

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
[ QUOTE ]
Surely Moss jumped on the bandwagon at full list price (their usual 2% markup on acessories) of $302.58

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, Jerry, if you looked at the attachment to which I referred, Moss is selling them for less than $200 - & my price is even lower!

JerryB

Jedi Warrior
I just wanted to make you loook "gooder" by posting the suggested list then your price will be even better looking /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks Tony,

I guess I will be returning the elec iggy that I purchased and getting the new dizzy then.

Patrick

JeffS

Jedi Trainee
That distributor looks surprisingly like the boat anchor replacement distributor Moss is already selling, plus the pertronix kit. At my cost (and Tony's), its a great deal but I wouldn't put one in my car. The original distributor is still a MUCH better made product. I believe this one is made in India.

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Well, I've ordered one & am going to give it a try.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
" I believe this one is made in India" More like China by way of Taiwan Jeff.---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pukeface.gif

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
We'll see!

JeffS

Jedi Trainee
Tony, with the Pertoronix kit, the Moss unit actually isn't all that bad, if they fixed the vacuum advance issue (way too much) and the very poor quality springs that look like they were mangled while being installed. I can't wait to hear how it works for you, and what you think of it. I'd love to see a picture of the advance mechanism!
Jeff

wkilleffer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I bought one from retro rockets, and it seems to work. The car will start, which is a good sign. Trouble is that my car's developed another carb issue that could require more than just a tune and balance. It's almost enough to cause me to put a Weber in, which are words I never though I'd hear myself say.

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
NOoooooooooooo, William, don't let the dark side pull you in!!!!!!

Tom Bedenbaugh

Jedi Hopeful
I really don't see an advantage over just putting the pertronix in your existing distributor. The only thing that usually goes bad is the bushing gets wear and causes point bounce, with an electronic set up the shaft would almost have to be falling out to effect the preformance. As for the vacuumn advance being bad. Just plug of the port and set the timing up higher at idle. If you like the advance units are around $70 new.

wkilleffer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
NOoooooooooooo, William, don't let the dark side pull you in!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt that I'll go that route. It's just irritating to think that I'm almost there, then have to take four steps backward. I couldn't afford it right now anyway.

While preparing to tune, I turned the jets on the carbs all the way to the top in preparation for turning them back six or 12 flats. I noticed that they weren't at the same height. The front one was quite a bit higher than the rear. After futzing around with them off the car, I decided to make them match with the adjuster nuts and forget about it for now.

While off the car, I removed the jet tubes from the float bowls and thought that they were back on correctly. After putting them back on the car and starting it, the engine seemed to be running choppily. I then saw that the rear carb wasn't getting any fuel through the jet. I adjusted the tube, and the bowl started leaking on the exhaust /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif

There didn't seem to be much flow from that bowl, so I stuck a small Phillips screwdriver in the hole thinking that some sediment might be stopping the flow. A washer and half-rotten rubber washer came out. I didn't know they were in there, and none of the parts companies list them as separate parts. You have to buy a whole new jet for almost $30/apiece.

Between my airconditioned car having radiator trouble and this, I'm a bit frustrated. At least the motorcycle still works.

wkilleffer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I really don't see an advantage over just putting the pertronix in your existing distributor. The only thing that usually goes bad is the bushing gets wear and causes point bounce, with an electronic set up the shaft would almost have to be falling out to effect the preformance. As for the vacuumn advance being bad. Just plug of the port and set the timing up higher at idle. If you like the advance units are around $70 new.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true if your dizzy's in semi decent shape. Mine was in pretty bad shape, and I didn't trust it anymore.

Rob_Edwards

Jedi Hopeful
[ QUOTE ]
While preparing to tune, I turned the jets on the carbs all the way to the top in preparation for turning them back six or 12 flats. I noticed that they weren't at the same height. The front one was quite a bit higher than the rear. After futzing around with them off the car, I decided to make them match with the adjuster nuts and forget about it for now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't speak to the rest of your post, but the difference in jet heights with the nuts fully up isn't all that uncommon, and you applied the correct fix! ;-)

HTH!