• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

"Special Tools"

T

TRDejaVu

Coming from an aircraft maintenance and engineering background we used many "special" tools in our work. Many is the time that we sent un-suspecting apprentices/trainees to the tool store to get them. Examples of this are the left handed screwdriver, the long weight, the skyhook and the 12 inch populating tool.

Anyone here know of any others?

Bugeye58

Yoda
Well, I've sent rookies out for 50 feet of flight line, buckets of propwash, a sawdust pump, self locking paint for propeller tips,(so the pitch didn't run out), left handed monkey wrenches, and metric hammers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif
Jeff

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
When I was in the Marines we'd send 'boots' out to get "I.D. 10 T" tags, "BA-1100-NS with ST-Rings" (pronounced BA-1100 November Sieras with ST Rings), "Grid Squares", "Cans of Parallax", etc. Of course, we'd send them to other shops for the stuff, and call ahead to continue the goose chase. Occassionally, 'Top' in the Infantry Weapons Repair shop would come across one of these poor souls and give them a quick lesson in 'common sense' with his batton... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif hehehe

OP
D

Deleted member 3577

A tube of lensatic "for the Compass"
Box of grid squares.
High speed tail light oil.
Rotary oscillating spindle pin.
Hydraulic wiffle bearing.
Bore grease (so the artillery shells will go faster)

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
Bubble for a spirit level
Tartan paint

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
I’ve always liked gravel nails. Names for real things can be just as strange. “Hooty Rim” comes to mind.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Hmmmm. Tenderfoot scouts at Boy Scout camp often were sent to get the Left-handed smoke shifter, or ten feet of shore line.
At work we like to ask the new Parts guy for Chrome plated Turbo muffler bearings, or High performance piston pullback springs, A quart of blinker fluid, a quart of "beep", a canooter valve, or I often aks where my "rotate" is, 'Cause The RO says I need to rotate the tires.

kyreb1862

Jedi Knight
In the highway construction business, sky hooks for bridge beams and left handed framing hammers were always popular. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
A punch for brass was pretty common too, though I guess it makes more sense to someone from Northern England?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Did a stint as a medical photog, sent new orderlies to OBGYN to ask the nurse on station for a fallopian tube... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

THAT would result in some hysterically laughing nurse calling the photo lab to find out who the nutcase who sent him was.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
If I was at the counter when those guys showed up I'd sell 'em one of those small bottles of "PhotoFlo" and convince 'em it was the only substitute we had "in stock!" then ask if they wanted "Intensifier" as well (since THAT was already on the shelf in the Yellow Livery!!)..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif