• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Dumped All My emails!

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Sitting here at my daughter's computer going through new emails & hit the "delete all" button by mistake - so there were severasl I was saving to work on later (yep, Jack - your list!) & some new ones I had not read yet...so, if you guys who had tried to contact me don't mind - could you resend...thanks

John Loftus

Darth Vader
Doesn't "delete all" just send it to a "trash" folder? If so, you can open the trash and pull out any of the emails you still want. Don't shoot me if I'm wrong .. I'm using Thunderbird for my email and don't know a thing about the other email programs.

Cheers,
John

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
No, I'm on my daughter's computer so I wend directly to my server in Atlanta & was reading off it (didn't want to download to her computer)...pushed the wrong button & they went into the ethernet...called my server & they confirmed

michalotti_tr

Jedi Knight
I know a lot of people bad-mouth it, but this is exactly why I use Yahoo as my email server - accessable anywhere, NEVER downloads to the PC I'm using (also means I don't get burned by viruses) and the Trash Bin has saved me many times. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Country flag
I'm starting to use my gmail account more. It has all sorts of nice features.

jsneddon

Jedi Knight
Country flag
amen... and I say nuts to all the security whiners. If the NSA needs to read my email then they can do it whether or not google has em stored on their server. encrypt them if you are worried about the black helicopters hovering in your back yard /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

if you need a GMAIL invite I've got hundreds (so you don't have to go through the cell-phone message registration junk)

Just send me an email with "BCF" in the subject and I'll send you an invite.

<edit> duh... send an email to jsneddon@gmail.com </edit>

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
And just what is GMAIL?

jsneddon

Jedi Knight
Country flag
free web-based email. Like yahoo or hotmail.

But it has about 2.7 gig of storage space so you don't have to delete anything. The big plus is that the search is amazing. If you are looking for an old email you just type in a couple of keywords and it pops up right away. Simple interface that isn't clunky like yahoo or hotmail. Plus a bunch of other geeky features like being able to assign tags or keywords to certain messages, built in spam filter crap, rules for filtering and tagging, stuff like that.

Country flag
google's free email service (web based)

Steve_S

Yoda
Raymond, the fact that he is using web mail is WHY he lost them all. When you use a local email client such as Outlook Express, Thunderbird, etc, you cannot accidently delete email. With web-based email it is much easier to do so.

Country flag
None of my emails are deleted in gmail. They only recently added the ability to delete them. Most are archived.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
google's free email service (web based)

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, it's not just web based. I've been accessing my gmail account with Thundedrbird, since I got it sometime last year. The really nice bonus there is I don't have to pay for the POP3 email access to my gmail account like I do with other "free" web mail providers.

But I think the thing I like most about my gmail is I can monitor the account (via Firefox Extensions) and access the messages via web interface while I'm at work. Then download them once i get home.

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Well, the only ones I actually lost were the ones when I pushed that button - & most of them were backed up on my laptop - just about 20 are actually lost!