• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

miata engine swap

kmcormick9

hey guys, i am seriously considering swapping a miata engine into my midget. does anybody know of anyone that has done this or know of any problems with it?

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
The Miata engine is quite physically large and quite expensive. As a side note Kia makes a version of the Miata engine but with 2.0L in their small SUV - a 2wd / 5spd one would be cheaper and more powerful than a Miata engine.

John Moore

Luke Skywalker
Baxter,that site and Miata conversion is pretty interesting. Looks like that guy does good work. However, if I were to do an engine conversion, I think I would do the Rover V-8.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I'm doing a Rover V8 conversion right now & chuck & I are starting a Chevrolet V6 conversion also...were I to do another, I'd use the Ford overhead cam 4-cylinder - the fancy, powerful one out of the US Ford sedan that's the same as a Sierra

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>I'd use the Ford overhead cam 4-cylinder - the fancy, powerful one out of the US Ford sedan that's the same as a Sierra[/QB]<hr></blockquote>

Zetec?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Yeah! That's it: ZETEC...turn it north/south & hook it up to a plain old Ford 5-speed & you've got power to spare!

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Apparently in the UK, the neat swap is the K-Series engine:

brigdensprite3.jpg

More K Midget info:

https://www.robsfrogs.org.uk/Glens%20'K'%20series%20Midget.htm

I saw a Bugeye with a Miata engine. It fits easy enough and seems like a good swap, but the purists will scream.
The new Zetec engine is a nice swap (assuming the cost of a rwd trans doesn’t kill you).
A really nice swap is the old 1600 push-rod Kent motors used in Pintos and Cortinas, but they’re getting a bit hard to find.

[ 10-20-2003: Message edited by: aeronca65t ]</p>

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
&, its not hard to get a K-series engine/tranny over here!

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
As I understand it the Zetec uses the Kent/(really, really common Ford) bellhousing interface so it should be very easy to come up with a driveline for one.
hammer.gif

PC.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
PC..that's correct...heck, you could use an old Pinto 4-speed if you wanted!

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by PC:
As I understand it the Zetec uses the Kent/(really, really common Ford) bellhousing interface so it should be very easy to come up with a driveline for one.
hammer.gif

PC.
<hr></blockquote>

actually all recent RWD Ford 4 Cyl uses the same belling housing so a T5 from a 4cyl Mustang would work. But there are details to hook it up Check out this https://www.mcsorley.net/locost/powertrain/default.htm for details.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
There ya go: 170hp from a stock 4-cylinder! &, it'll fit under the hood!

Andy Blackley

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Or install the Moss supercharger kit. When (if)you sell the car, remove it, reinstall the old bits, and install the supercharger on your next 'B.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
See, andy, I don't see $2700 for a supercharger to get out of it what you do as a good investment....I think there are other ways to get more for the same amount or less....my local salvage yard offered me a VETEC for $800, for example

Baxter

Jedi Trainee
Tony, did you mean Zetec or Vtec? Everyone's swappin' zetecs every which way these days. Vtec's useless to everyone but Honda guys, as it turns the wrong way. Except for the s2000. It's OK.

Gary Lloyd

Jedi Knight
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Baxter:
Tony, did you mean Zetec or Vtec? Everyone's swappin' zetecs every which way these days. Vtec's useless to everyone but Honda guys, as it turns the wrong way. Except for the s2000. It's OK.<hr></blockquote>
I never knew that!!! I guess the direction of rotation could be change pretty easy though, right?? They do it in boats with twin V8's all the time!!

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Ford Zetec

Andy Blackley

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Tony: I like the Ztec just fine. I had a 2000 Focus ZX3 for a spell. A great car! But I prefer to stay close to stock with my present 69B. I havent decided to invest in the supercharger yet either, but what I wrote is true, I think. Unlike most coversions you can easily reverse the supercharger kit( assuming you havent blown the engine), and probably sell it and recoup a decent proportion of what you paid. My priorities right now demand that a repaint must come first. I am pretty happy with my car in stock trim.
cheers.gif