• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Shut face finisher-where to purchase a good set???

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
64BJ8 II
OK, so I bought a set of the shut face finishers from British Victoria a while ago. The body shop installed them and they just don't fit right. The passenger door side is too short, and moving it up, will ruin the fit at the bottom. Problem with the driver side fit too.

The ones from BV were thinner than original and certainly not correct in size.

After talking it over with the interior guy tonight, we decided that I should get another set. But where, from whom?

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
64BJ8 II

After talking it over with the interior guy tonight, we decided that I should get another set. But where, from whom?

[/ QUOTE ]

------? ? ? ? ? ? ? --Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cowboy.gif

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
Roger,
I got new ones from Gary Hemphill at Hemphill's Healey Haven. They did require trimming, but they are longer than required, not shorter. They worked for me.

Lin
1960 BT7 in restoration
1959 Bugeye

sunkissedhealey

Re: Shut face finisher-where to purchase a good se

Hemphill's Healey Haven usually get things right. I'm calling them today about shut pillar seals. I don't think that I've ever had to return a part that I've ordered from them.

Rob

SHG

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

I bought a set from AHSpares. They were longer and a little off shape as well, and needed to be trimmed. Close, but not quite right.

Country flag

I fit a set of the VB ones to my car last weekend (put a dent in the Scotch reserve too). All the symptoms you mention except that there was excess material for trimming. Biggest issue I have with them is the shape at the top of the door shut face; doesn't match the contour of the cockpit surround trim. I'll get (digital) pictures "developed" and posted later on...

Who has DECENT windlace for the doors? Twice I've attempted to install the $hit with the aluminum clips (once on a BJ8) and this time I just wound up throwing it away. &*#@*&!!

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Hi Randy, try Martin Macgregor in Canada for the door excluder material.He advertises on this forum.---Keoke

Country flag

[ QUOTE ]

Hi Randy, try Martin Macgregor in Canada for the door excluder material.He advertises on this forum.---Keoke

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks, will do. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag

The Nocks are on vacation for a week. Healey Surgeons are on vacation to Aug 1st or 2nd week. The Trim panels in my photo that don't fit properly were bought from BV.

Moss told me theirs do not have any cut outs for the screws nor the latch. They are solid. Someone mentioned to me that the ones from the Australia are solid, which I think would be the ones from the Nock's. BV and Surgeons are from AHspares I believe.

Being I am trying to get my car done for my birthday, which is this coming Thursday, I ordered the ones from Moss. Returnable if not a good fit. I'll let you know the quality of those when I get them Monday.

It's been two years restoring my car. Now it's coming down to the wire. It certainly would be a special birthday memory to have our maiden drive on my 50th. Cheers, Roger

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Well Roger, it just may be the case that the Moss panels are from Kilmartin I know they do stock some of their products.--Keoke

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag

Roger,
Your call but why didn't you go with Hemphill's. Gary's worked fine. Holes and cutouts all there.
Lin
1960 BT7 in restoration
1959 Bugey

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag

Lin,
Because Moss is close to me and always delivers on time, usual 2-3 days for me. Returnable if not happy. And Like Keoke mentioned, I too believe they are Kilmartin pieces. I hear good things about Kilmartin.

Most of them come from AHspares, which seem to have fit issues, and I figured, it's all a crap shoot. So why not try Kilmartin.

Even though the holes are not predrilled, in my case it may be to my advantage. If need be, I can drill new holes instead of using their holes, in order to move the piece where I need it to be, to cover the rivets. Then I will not have predrilled holes with no screws, nor will I have more screws than should be.

Looks good on paper, we'll see what happens when it happens.

Cheers, Roger

John Loftus

Darth Vader

Hi Roger,

I bought a set from Moss last year (or was that the year before?) and they were Kilmartin. The outline is larger than the originals so they will be carefully cut down and they do need drilling but that should be fairly easy (especially since I have originals to go by). Without good originals you can use heavy card stock to make some templates and get the outlines and holes in the right place. They will also need some subtle bending to fit the shut pillar better at the top but the aluminum is soft enough to be easily bent.

Cheers,
John

Cutlass

Jedi Warrior

This raises the question of what are the proper number, location and spacing of the screws that hold the shut face and rocker finishers? I've replaced the rockers, and the original finishers were not on the car. This stage is a bit far off for me, but since the topic is on the front burner here, thought I'd ask now. Thanks.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Hey John, you know what helps that subtle bending at the top and the radius bend.Get a short piece of broom handle and a hammer and tap the ali lightly into place.---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

SHG

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

[ QUOTE ]
Hey John, you know what helps that subtle bending at the top and the radius bend.Get a short piece of broom handle and a hammer and tap the ali lightly into place.---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
That's how I did it. But I still have to wonder why it didn't fit in the first place, the recurring theme in repro parts. Some of these parts are pretty darn expensive relative to what they are, and you figure they ought to be made right in the first place. I can't tell you how many parts I've bought from Moss or VB that are just slightly off, either in fit or appearance. Why? I really don't get it.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Well SHG , maybe its just cuz these car were originaly built using a big hammer and most of them are still slightly off.---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cowboy.gif

SHG

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

Ah, the big hammer theory. "Don't blame us, blame Don Healey."

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

[ QUOTE ]
Ah, the big hammer theory. "Don't blame us, blame Don Healey."

[/ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif

Nope,Prolly more like Roger's fault.You know he never used a Torque wrench either---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif