• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB coffe cup tray for MGB

G

Hi everyone,
I just made a coffee cup tray for my '72"B" that fits the center console between the gear shift and the radio.

If anyone would like to make one, I have scanned the pieces and can send jpegs via email.

It fits '72 through '76. I haven't tried it but it might also fit the '77 through '80.

I sized it to be cut from a standard 1 X 6
Bob

Bret

Yoda
Hey Bob,

Hmmm? I'd like to see it. Go ahead & email me the pic. I have a friend that has a great fabrication shop in his garage. Currently he’s working on a wood dash kit for my 78B, the cup holder might be an addition we can work in too.

Email: bretduff@earthlink.net

Thanks,

[ 10-17-2003: Message edited by: Bret ]</p>

Kim de B

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Bob --

I'd like to see them also. Won't fit my 66B, but would make a great tech tip for our club newsletter (which I do), if you don't mind if I use it.

Actually, what you need to do is write up a how-to-build Tech Tip and send it with the photos to Chuck for his Shadetree MG site. He'll post it, and then it will be available to everyone!

BUCKEYE_BOB

Bob-- This is a good idea. My wife wants a cup holder in the B. If you could E-mail me the pictures it would be greatly appreciated. As Kim said get with Chuck and post it on the Shade tree mechanic site. Bob.

StevenA

Jedi Trainee
Yes, please send the pics to... saastevens@comcast.net I have often visualized a design for that and for dashboard, door panels, and all sorts of interior accessories. One day when I am retired, rich, and very healthy I wish to use some exotic woods to form a full dash, door panels (including handles etc) and have some real woodworking fun.
Great idea, love to see it. Steve

Bret

Yoda
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Baxter:
Somehow a cupholder in an MG seems vaguely sacriligious.<hr></blockquote>

I bet you'd change your mind about that, the first time a 4-year-old drops her sippy cup full of juice just after installing a new carpet kit.

yesnod.gif

OP
G

OK, guys, I will do that. I have tried printing them on several of my programs since I posted and the only one that comes out the exact size is the original scanning program. I don,t have a photo of the finished item yet. I just laid the two pieces on top of my scanner so it shows what you need to make a pattern and the location of the dowel holes. I will take a photo later of the assembled unit.
I made the 1/4" dowels the length I needed to fit a 3/8" deep hole and space the two pieces 3/4" apart.
If you scale the print out so that the width of each piece is exactly 5 1/2" it should come out right. That is the width of a 1 X 6 board and I made mine out of Canadian Fir. A little brittle to work with but looks nice with clear poly on it. I plan to paint mine black and spray with clear top coat.
If you decide you want to do it after seeing my prints, I will make the right size print outs available. Just send me enough to cover postage and your address.
My address is :
131 Blessings Cove
Chuluota, FL 32766

OP
G

OK, I took a photo of the unit in the car so you could see if you want to go further. The full sized photos are so big that I would have to send several emails to each person so go to this web site first and see if you like it.
It is my church's web site which I maintain. The first photo is like I took it and the second is touched up slightly to take a lot of the glare off the tray.
www.morethanadoor.com/coffeetray.jpg
www.morethanadoor.com/coffeetraya.jpg
Bob

[ 10-18-2003: Message edited by: mrbassman ]

[ 01-18-2004: Message edited by: mrbassman ]</p>

Baxter

Jedi Trainee
Bret, I wouldn't let a 4-year-old with a sippy cup in my MG. For that matter, I'm way too busy driving the thing to worry 'bout drinking anything, and anyone in the passenger seat would be afool to even attempt to drink something with me gunnin' that thing around. It's a thing with me: Cupholders are for cars you ride in, not DRIVE.

That said, that looks like a nice cupholder design.

Bret

Yoda
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Baxter:
Bret, I wouldn't let a 4-year-old with a sippy cup in my MG.
<<SNIP>>
That said, that looks like a nice cupholder design.
<hr></blockquote>

Hey Baxter,

Sorry, I hope I didn’t upset you. It was all said in good fun – I just thought that “sacrilegious” was a bit harsh of a statement. As for me, I enjoy my drives with my 4-year-old daughter and so I don’t tend to go “Gunn’in” my B around all the time.

As for cup holders – Well all of our other daily drivers have them. But because I only get to drive my MG on the weekends (if I’m lucky), I tend to make the most of it. When we went to the local British Car Day here in San Diego the weekend before last – let me tell you a cup holder or two would have been nice for the 1-½ hour drive up in the MG Clubs caravan. My daughter’s car seat has a removable cup holder but gets in the way of the stick & parking brake so we had to make due without. The design that “MRBASSMAN” has shown us will work fine for the next road trip my little one & I take.

Also it looks like it could be set-up to be removed & replaced rather easily too, so as not to offend the purists folks at the next Show & Shine.
shocked.gif

Kim de B

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I agree there is a need for a cupholder now and then. Don't know how I would have made the drive to St. Louis this summer without having a place to stow a cold bottle of water so it would be right at hand. I use a nifty insulated cooler bag that has a cup/bottle holder built into the top of it. I put the bag on the passenger seat.

DB6

Jedi Hopeful
Excelent idea Bob! It looks great! I wont try making one that would fit the jag, too much roll on corners would make me spill any drinks...

danny

Baxter

Jedi Trainee
Ah, heck, Brett, I don't upset easily.
I'm not a big fan of cupholders personally, but like I said, that does look like a nice piece of work. Certainly less intrusive than most add-on cupholders I've seen, and a better design than some stock ones (like my Subaru, where the dang thing hangs over the radio and everything else).

OP
G

and it should be on my website by tommorrow (I hope) gotta run to Terra Haute for a marching band competition

Kim de B

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Yeah, Baxter, I know what you mean about the Subaru cupholders. They're convenient as long as you don't want to adjust the heat or air conditioning. Or want a hot drink on a hot day or a cold drink on a cold day, because your cup is right in front of the AC/heat vent.

StevenA

Jedi Trainee
Just looked at the cup holder design... nice idea and very simple. That is always how things seem to work best. Good ideas are most often the simplest and most effecient. Nice one.
Steve

GTsRFine

Jedi Hopeful
I saw a MGC at the EuroAuto Fest that had a cup holder molded into the center arm rest in the location of the ashtray. I think he said he got it from Victoria British. It occurred to me that it might be in the way of shifting motions in that location.
A cupholder would be welcomed by me. A cup of Joe while you are easing out of the neighborhood waiting for the engine to warm up. Also it would provide a convenient place for coins, pencils, sunglasses, etc. that seem to rattle around otherwise.
Like the Prince, The Caffiene Monster has it's rituals also and must be appeased.

OP
G

Thanks, glad you liked it. I had a lot of fun making mine.

I would be interested to find out if all of you have a perfectly flat console where the tray would go. Mine is bowed from side to side so that it is raised about 3/8" in the center. I'm not talking about the raised ridge that goes across from side to side. I put a groove in the tray with my table saw to compensate for that. The tray has a little bit of wobble there. I made a jig with that curve built in so I can take my router and make the bottom of the tray fit that curve. But I haven't gotten to it yet.

Does anyone have any ideas how to make it fit or make the console lay down flat short of buying a new console. Of course, the new one might bow.
driving.gif