• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

overheating

dwnuk

Freshman Member
1958 MGA. tuned, carbs rebuilt, timing fine, correct cap, installed shroud, added electric fan (when switched on doesn't seem to decrease temp) wetter water. took out therm. At 40-45 mph runs at 185-190. At 60 runs at 205 to 210. City stop and go runs 205-215 when stopped in traffic. The car is driven in a moderate climate usually between 75 and 85. When car is shut off after a run temp goes to 225 plus. Replaced radiator 3 years ago. Looking for any suggestions.

thanks

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
When was last time engine itself was back flushed?

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Dwnuk, Sounds like the added electric fan may actually be blocking the incoming cooling air.You did not say whether it is a puller or a pusher fan installation.---Keoke

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
\
HI, Mounting the fan in front of the radiator constitutes a pusher configuration.If the fan has insufficient power to force a high volume of air through the radiator it will cause heating at speed by blocking the incoming cooling air.---Fwiw---Keoke

piman

Darth Vader
Hello Dwnuk,

thermostat if you haven't already checked it, water pump effectiveness, which can be affected by old hoses but unlikely if you renewed the radiator. Correct specification radiator?
An electric fan, indeed any fan is not generally required when driving on the open road, forward motion gives more air than any fan.

Certainly circulation around the engine block is another valid area to check.

Alec

Rob_Edwards

Jedi Hopeful
How's your ignition curve? Retarded timing will cause excess heat, and if your springs are worn (i.e. timing advance comes in too early) and you set the timing at idle, you timing will be retarded at speed.

Never run without a thermostat. You might consider fitting a thermostat in conjunction with a blanking sleeve:
https://mgaguru.com/mgtech/cooling/cool_103.htm

There are other interesting pages on that site -- poke around a little! ;-)

BTW -- I don't like to see my engine run less than about 200ºF.....

HTH!

jsneddon

Jedi Knight
Country flag
have you checked the actual coolant temp with a known good thermometer? Gauges have been known to be incorrect.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
The added fan - was that an aftermarket in addition to the MG fans or are you talking about them? If an addition, it'll do nothing except cause problems....the cooling system, when set up properly, doesn't need additional fans....problem now is getting everything set up.

JeffS

Jedi Trainee
I second the comment about adding a thermostat with a blanking sleeve! That alone could cure your overheating! You need to slow the water own as it goes though the radiator or the radiator can't absorb heat fast enough for it to be removed!
Jeff

D

Deleted member 3577

[ QUOTE ]

BTW -- I don't like to see my engine run less than about 200ºF.....

[/ QUOTE ]
Really???......Mine doesn't like to idle well at that temp.
(And it makes me nervous) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

A perhaps interesting footnote.....
I can almost tell what the ambient temperature is by looking at my gage and subtracting 100.
(for temps 65F and above) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Think the good book says like 180-190 and that's hot enough thanks.

Rob_Edwards

Jedi Hopeful
Depends on which book you're referring to. You want to run the engine as hot as is practicable. Running it too cool makes it wear quicker, make less power, and burn more fuel. Peter Burgess (MGB tuning guru) in his book "How to Power Tune the MGB 4-Cylinder Engine" says "The ideal 'stat is 88 degrees Celcius (190F) ." The late, great Smokey Yunick says:
[ QUOTE ]
" It is easy to see how overheating can be a problem, but I think some racers overlook the fact that it is possible to 'overcool' the engine. Some guys go to great lengths to keep the engine temperature down to 180 degrees. And, though the engine doesn't overheat, they don't realize that they're putting energy (heat) into the cooling system that could be used to produce power at the crankshaft.
Running the engine at 180 degrees will drop the overall horsepower by 2%-3%. For max power the cooling temp should be at least 200 degrees...."

[/ QUOTE ]

With a 50/50 mix of coolant and water and a 16 psi radiator cap, you won't overheat until the other side of 265ºF....

D

Deleted member 3577

[ QUOTE ]

Running the engine at 180 degrees will drop the overall horsepower by 2%-3%. For max power the cooling temp should be at least 200 degrees...."

[/ QUOTE ]
Coincidently.....You can increase hp 2-3% by taking the fan off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif However Jeff, the blanking sleeve really does not slow the flow of water down in the cooling system.What it does is block off the bypass port so that all the water in the system is routed through the radiator for cooling.Lacking this sleeve, a portion of the coolant will be passed thru the pypass port and never gets processed correctly leading to higher runing temperatures.---Keoke

Jay_Nickell

Off the wall comment. These electrical fans are usually set up as pullers, that is to mount it between the radiator and the engine. To use the fan as a pusher, you reverse the fan and reverse the pos/neg wires. Are you sure both were done when you fan was mounted?

rulle7

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Surely one 'pushes' from in front of the radiator and 'pulls' from behind it ... no?

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Surely one 'pushes' from in front of the radiator and 'pulls' from behind it ... no?

[/ QUOTE ]

-----Wakatai yo!---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

rulle7

Jedi Knight
Country flag
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif