• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Life On Mars.......

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
For those of you that have access to cable or satellite TV and BBC America, the above program has started being shown over here. It's about a police officer transported back in time thirty years, (back to when I joined the job in fact) but storyline aside, it's a car-spotter's paradise. Ignore the few mistakes (I was there at that time and I can tell you, there are a few!) and enjoy the cars. Not all LBCs, but most of 'em are........

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Will do. We get BBC America via PBS here. (and I just renewed my Public Televison membership anyway).

Actually, I spent last weekend in Mars (it's a nice little town in Pennsylvania just outside Pittsburgh).

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
That's where they make Mars bars isen't it (I'm being serious)
Thanks for the heads up on the show. We get BBC America also.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
[ QUOTE ]
That's where they make Mars bars isen't it (I'm being serious)
Thanks for the heads up on the show. We get BBC America also.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, Mar Bars are made in ~Hackettstown, New Jersey~ about 8 miles from our lake house.
I've been in the factory...it smells great!
Many members of the Mars family (their real name) still reside in northwestern New Jersey.
Mars Candy has other factories now, but they started in NJ.

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
Steve, I caught it, a fantastic show. As well as a car spotters paradise, the costumes are hilarious!
(I Think it's better than the current Dr.Who stuff)

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Oh Mars, PA. My Aunt is from there. First time I have ever heard anyone speek of it.

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
I haven't seen it listed James, just a bunch of Avengers repeats and 'cash in the attic'! Lots of blackadder and footballers wives.
They often re-title shows here, if you can give me a synopsis, I'll look out for it. I can never remember, what did that antique dealer show guy drive? McShane or something?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I saw an ad about it - but didn't catch when it'll be shown.

G

The show was called Lovejoy.
He drove a Morris Minor.
Convertible - called it something like Miriam.

Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
They often re-title shows here, if you can give me a synopsis, I'll look out for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its a series, based on books by Elizabeth George- she's written dozens of them it seems. Like Agatha Christie, P. D. James, Ruth Rendell, etc.- another in the fine and long tradition of English women mystery writers....

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
I checked the guide for the next two weeks, nothing on resembling it, but will keep an eye out. Set reminders for Life on Mars!
Lovejoy, that was it. I'm too distraught about TOTP ending to remember other shows. Long Live Status Quo.

OP
Steve

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I saw an ad about it - but didn't catch when it'll be shown.

[/ QUOTE ]

Monday nights Tony......10/9 Central I believe.

I only caught the tail end of the first episode but they were carting a bad guy away in a black Zodiac Mk3 area car. This is supposed to be set in 1973, and since the police always updated vehicles every three to four years, it would have been a white car with red stripe ("jam sandwich") Mk 1 Granada or Consul, or at least one of the last Series 4 Zodiacs to be true to the period. I'm nit-picking, I know.

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
Our local constabulary had Vauxhall Viva's, Victors and Panda minis. Had the same mini for about 15 years 'till the Metro came out. This was North Wales Police mind, a horse would've served more use.
Nee Naw.

William

Darth Vader
I thought Life on Mars was going to be shown on F/X or SciFi, like the new Dr. Who. (I hope it's F/X, as I don't get SciFi channel on regular cable).

IIRC, the main character of LoM drives a Ford that's meant to be the same one as Regan had in The Sweeny.

OP
Steve

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Reagan had a Granada Mk 1, this character drives a Cortina Mk 3......meant to be the same, or to make you think it's the same. In addition, they put older plates on the Cortina, and changed the badging to make it look period. It's actually a Cortina Ghia from '75/'76.

yup, "lovejoy" 1986-1994 staring "ian mcshane" now seen as "al swerengen" in the "deadwood" series on h.b.o. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif mcshane and my house painter friend richard bidlake (played the first dr. who) went to acting school together in london. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif