• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

"Music Intelligence" systems

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
Reading the "Hobbies" thread I notice that many folks here are into music in one form or another. I recently read an article about computer-based techniques being used to predict the popularity of a new song - it seems that a couple of methods are proving to be very good at it and are being used by Capitol Records, Sony Music, EMI, and some others. They use it to select music and to "tune up" new songs to try to make them more popular.

Two companies offering a music analysis service have web sites at www.platinumblueinc.com and www.polyphonichmi.com . They offer their services to music companies for pretty hefty sums.

Due to a tin ear I really don't know what to think about it other than to wonder if integrating it with Orwell's music creating machine from 1984 would result in a mechanical Brian Wilson or John Lennon or maybe even ~genuflect~ Paul Simon.

I guess not, since these analyses probably have more to do with melody (or whatever the "non-lyric" part of modern music is called) than with the lyrics.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting & it was new to me.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
You mean they've invented a machine that identifies everything I despise in pop music, and tells the music mogules how to make it even more annoying?
Oh great!

banjo, couldnt agree with you more! thats much the method they use to "progam" radio stations, thats why the vast majority of them suck! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pukeface.gif

A

aerog

[ QUOTE ]
aerog, am radio? whats that all about? is it because you get the ball games on it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope - I never listen to sports. I don't really like the programming on the FM stations around here. They're either playing lousy music, latino-music, or tons of ads punctuated by pop-culture news. I've got my own variety of music loaded into my CD-changer and the AM band offers 4-5 good stations with news and weather 24 hours a day, plus a couple of oldies stations (the FM versions have all been bought up by a spanish-language broadcaster).

To be fair I should mention I have XM on my home/office stereo. That's actually been pretty good. If I had to do any amount of driving I'd probably put it in the car, but the CDs will suffice for now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif