Thread: Steering column bushings?

Discussions of Triumph motor cars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Steering column bushings?

I received my "new" steering column assembly today (thank you banjo!) and wanted to replace the steering column bushings tomorrow. I got the old ones out, but is there a trick to getting the new ones in?
    Larry
    1975 TR6
    Colfax, CA

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Steering column bushings?

I did this last year. You just line up the bushings so that the little rubber "ears" will pop into the holes in the outer column, then push then in. The only trick is to get the "ears" to compress and fit into the column opening, otherwise they may get sheared off. I really had no problem with it. Also, one bushing goes in from one side and the other bushing from the other end. That minimizes the length of travel that each bushing has to go before popping into place. You will need to lube the bushings, too, to make them slide easier.

I'll also note that I did what a lot of other folks do: I did not remove the old bushings. I just cut the "ears" and pushed them further in toward the center of the outer column and then fitted the new ones. This lends a little extra support to the inner column.

Good luck with it!
    Please ask your friend to take their seat, and while they are fastening their seatbelt, secure the lunch basket and driving blanket on the rear shelf.

-- From "The Complete Guide to Pleasant Motoring in a British Sportscar"