• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

First-time TR6 owner, plenty of questions..

bricktop

Greetings. Just bought a '76 TR6 w/factory OD. I am still in Iraq....haven't even seen it firsthand yet! Can someone fill me in on some of the most common performance upgrades are for late model TR's? I am not concerned about "original" status as mine already has SPAX rear shock conversion among other smaller things. What are the TR6 "achilles heels" that necessitate modern upgrades? THX

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Welcome - & thanks for your service to our country & freedom....

Ask that question over on the Triumph Forum & you'll be deluged with responses!

But I can tell you that the "achilles heel" on most British cars is "RUST"

swift6

Yoda
Welcome to the forum. Lots of good advice can be found in the Triumph section for you. Lots of good people all over the forum though.

As far as any achilles heels go... The later TR6's were pretty bogged down by emissions control equipment and low compression ratios. Doing anything to correct that issue though gets expensive in the form of a rebuilt engine. Higher compression and a different cam can really 'wake up' the engines performance. A 150hp TR6 is a whole different animal than a 104hp (your cars stock rating) version of the same car. The stock horsepower can still be adequate for driving enjoyment though. Just don't try to race any minivans.

The biggest bang for the buck I ever did involved the suspension. Specifically the rear trailing arm bushes. Using poly bushes here instead of rubber really helps the rear tires track true and greatly improves the cars handling. Of course I didn't stop there. More poly, 'fast road' springs (lowering the center of gravity and increasing the spring rates does wonders for handling), better shocks and modern performance tires.

Otherwise I would say wait until you get back to the states and drive it a bit. Then figure out what specific areas you might want to improve upon. Then we can help a lot more.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

OP
B

bricktop

Ah yes....RUST. In high school, I drove a '77 MGB that had not been well maintained and was well on its way to being a rustbucket. How effective is after-market zeibarting or undercarriage coating versus the rust monster on a british vehicle? THX

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Welcome! And thanks for your service!

As Tony said, the Triumph guys will fill you in more on the Triumph Forum,.

The weak points that I always hear about are:

Trailing Arms
Crankshaft Thrust Washers
Rust