• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

105E anglia trials and tribulations

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
I am slowly restoring a 66 105E anglia. I am so envious of MG and Triumph owners and the fairly plentiful sources of parts supply. Most of my parts come from Ebay, and the rest from England. I recently got a trans mount and speedo cable from 2 differant sources on Ebay. I went to install them. The trans mount won't fit the crossmember. It is not able to be modified either. Oh well, that part goes back on the list of wants. So..I went to tackle the speedo cable. No worries, the cable came out OK, and the new one matches fine....so I thought I would check the speedo. You guessed it, frozen solid. Out comes the dash, and out comes the cluster. Hopefully, I can free this one up. The car only has 48K miles on it, but it sat in the woods for around 20 years. I guess it is the old story, one step forward, two steps back. Hey Doug, any progress on yours yet???

Have a great weekend folks,
Jesse

I'll commend you on a restoration of this car... most (no all) of the one's I've actually seen in person were basically turned into 1/4 or 1/8 mile dragsters with small or big block chevy engines - maybe those guys couldn't find parts either.

OP
J

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
I just wanted something different. I have had MGBs,a spite fire, a bunch of Jaguars, Rover 2000s , a Sunbeam Talbot and a few other wierd cars. I figure there are so few Fords around, that I would not see one coming down the road everyday. Now I see why there aren't any. It really is a frustrating little beast.

In true reality the only REAL STOCK one I ever saw was on TV - Monster Garage - just before they hacked it to bits.

G

I had one in the UK about 18 years ago. Fun car.
Stock except for the Weber carb, uprated clutch and body rot (although I'm not sure if it came from the factory like that).
80 felt like 180 and I was never sure if you'd be able to get back to 0...

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
My first car was the 105E Anglia. The standard version without the full-width chrome grill as well. I never realised back then how rare that version was. Nice little cars, easy to drive, easy to work on.

BEEJAY7

Jedi Warrior
Hi Steve...Hope you are well... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My first car was also a 105E, great little car, although mine only had the small grille. I replaced the front bumper with small quarter bumpers, fitted 5.5J steel wheels and painted it Ice Blue!. Great until the front suspension gave way on a roundabout...Don't you just love those struts.

Regards

Alan

OP
J

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
Well, I got the speedo working, but the odometer is intermittant. I will leave that for another day. This is my second Anglia, I had an "Estate" back in the mid 70s. It was an Ok commuter car, with mileage in the low 40s. Great during the gas crunch! This one sat in the woods for about 20 years, and is fugly, but really rust free. I have a Weber DGV, on a cortina inlet manifold, with a Cortina GT header on it. 55 HP? I found a cortina brake master cylinder that is a little bigger than stock, so it stops pretty well with the tiny little droms. I need to find strut mounts, and it will be road worthy. I figure it will be an eye catcher for the shop, but I won't use it for that until it gets painted. It sure is different though, there are not many left around here. In fact, I only know of one other.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I haven't seen one on the street in a while, but Harry Potter drives a flying 105 in the movie.

There's a 105 racer that shows up at the Lime Rock Vintage in the Fall, but it has a "Twink" (Lotus Twin-Cam). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

Apparently, the Zetec swap is popular in these cars in the UK.
Here's a good site with 105 info:

https://105speed.com/

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Hi Alan, it's been a while, what you been up to?

I had the same car, small-grille standard car (as opposed to the deluxe) and I had wanted to do the same things, fit wide wheels, fibreglass wide arches, and paint it ice blue!!!!!! Must be a seventies thing! Never did any of those things, and my struts were rust-free as well! Low-mileage, rust-free example. If I had known then what I know now......but I wanted something faster (of course).....

swift6

Yoda
Recently there was a 105E from Boulder that spent some time at a shop up here in Fort Collins. The owner was toying with the idea of a restoration. It had a LOT of hail damage though so body work estimates pushed it over the edge of sanity on rebuilding it. Neat car though. It was a wide mouth car if I remember correctly. Made my MkII Cortina look huge in comparison.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

bcliff

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have a little '34 Model Y Ford that I get out every once in a while. I know what you mean about parts availability. I looked for ten yeara before I finally found an unbroken badge mount for the grille. It makes me appreciate the ease of getting parts for the rest of the "fleet" which is as follows:
61 Morris Minor Traveller, daily driver
62 Austin Mini 850, project for the wife
65 Triumph Herald Convertible
73 Triumph Stag, soon to be the new daily driver.
Bruce

Super 7

Jedi Warrior
I love the 105 series. I have missed a couple opportunities to own one, and I'm just kicking myself. I would like to put a hot crossflow or Zetec in one with full Milton Racing suspension and a type 9 transmission with semi close gear cluster.

Have you looked at https://105speed.com ? This Lotus powered car blows me away. So subtle. https://105speed.com/default.asp?id=179

They have discontued Ford night at the Ace Cafe due to rowdyness. I had been wanting to go to it. (some people want to see Big Ben, others...)