• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Undiscovered classic cars?

Steve P.

Jedi Hopeful
Hi Guys,
Over the years I've owned, and continue to own a number of
classic Britmobiles. A couple of years ago I bought a
1973 Mercedes 450 SLC. Gotta admit I love this car. So much
so that I bought a 1972 350 SL (convertable version
of the SLC) the other day. Very nice condition, but needing
minor bodywork for get this, $500. Lots of these on the
market right now for really good prices. This is an
example of an undiscovered classic (at least in my
opinion).

There are LOTS of car nuts here. What do the rest of you
consider to be undiscovered classics??? Should be a fun
thread!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Gotta agree with you - here's mine, a 380SL:

380SL.jpg

The SLC version is definitely one most people ignore - I'm also looking for one, a 450 SLC 5.0...& the 560 SEC is another I consider an undiscovered German classic.

Bret

Yoda
There is a really sweet 450 SL for sale out here too. Always liked them.

As for my pick for an undiscoverd classic? Well as some might have guessed I'm betting on front engine RWD Porsches. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

1. Alfa Romeo's from the 70's and 80's (trust me they are real italian sportscars and act like it too, but most of these aren't that expensive to maintain - similar to MGB/TR6 on parts prices and nearly the same parts availability if you look around).
2. TVR 2500's (possibly TVR's in general).
3. almost any Lotus made in the 70's, including Esprits (they've been getting really cheap for fixer uppers lately).
4. Porsche 924, 944, 928, (what bret said), and 912, 914.
5. Volvo 1800.
6. Maserati Biturbo (possibly any Maserati that isn't 36+ years old, but need lots of work)
7. Fiat's - 124 Spiders, and X1/9's.
8. 1975-1979 MGB's (although they have a following /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif - 1977 being the best /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif Especially in sandglow yellow)
9. Ferrari 308 GT4 and Mondial (non convertible, non T)
10. BMW 325's from the 80's.

I've got more, but that's my top ten list... I hope to own at least 7 more of them. (not keen on the BMW, but they are available cheap 'round these parts - I even know where there are at least 2 2002's, one widebodied for racing - sitting in weeds almost high enough to hide them)

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
Always loved the looks of the SLC. I could never own one myself, here in the land of eternal sunshine. Seeing as half the SL's you see never take their hard tops off you'd think the SLC would be more popular. I guess "just knowing you could" is enough for some.

Unfortunately for many Mercs and just about all front engine/RWD Porsches the cost of repair and maintenance can be so high that fewer and fewer people are willing to keep them nice.

PC.

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
The only downside of the 350SL is that it has extremely expensive parts. A good friend of mine has one (green with tan interior.)

The upside is that they are powerful, comfortable, come with a hard top and are built like dump trucks. Of course this also means handling isn't sportscar-like. All in all, though, you'd be hard pressed to find a more impressive car for less money.

Now for my "undiscovered classics":
Triumph TR7, Fiat/Pininfarina 2000 (1980 or later for fuel injection,) 1964-1966 Buick Skylark/Special, any 2.2L turbocharged Dodge from the 1980s, Datsun 280Z, Firebird 400, Jaguar XJS and the list goes on and on.

Bret

Yoda
Interesting choices Sammy. Don’t disagree with any in fact I think the Jag XKS is going to see growing interest as time goes by. Most folks like the V12s (as do I) and but ignore or give the 6’s a cold shoulder. But I saw a great article in GRM (or was it CMS) about a pretty mean inline six with a 5-speed (not normally shipped to our shores), that I’d gladly bring home.

I did get a little chuckle when you mentioned the Dodge 2.2L Turbos from the 80s. Not that I disagree with your assessment – its just that I & my family have owned a number of 2.2L powered vehicles and none of them had anything remotely earth shattering when it came to performance. But my mom had a Dodge Daytona Turbo that was pretty darn quick. Always wanted to take a Turbo 2.2L & stuff it in my 82 Rampage PU that was a few hundred pounds lighter than my moms Daytona. I'm sure that little configuration would have surprised a few unsuspecting victims in the stop light grand prix. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Add Mitsubishi Starion and Chrysler Conquest 2.6l turbo to my list. Nice styling, excellent handling, and excellent perfomance engines... Can be had cheap even though there aren't many around. 88-89 models are the best.

OP
Steve P.

Steve P.

Jedi Hopeful
Nice 380 SL Tony! There's a nice 1975 450 SL for sale
just north of San Francisco right now. $3000. If you
are interested let me know and I'll put you in touch with
the seller. I'm happy to hear I'm not the only one
that appreciates these cars.

Cost of parts and repairs seems to be a huge factor in
determining which cars become popluar collectables. Several
folks mentioned the Jag XJS. Nice car! I bought one a few
years ago to restore (1976 with a manual transmission....
kinda rare). The cost of parts killed the project, and I'm
trying to sell it. The cost of parts for Mercedes is
also very high, but the big difference is they don't
break as often.

A few classics that don't have a huge following, and can
still be found for reasonable prices include;

Datsun 240Z, early Cougars, 1961-'63 T-Birds, 1970's
Alfas, Opel GT's, and 1970's Vettes; one of the best
deals have been Spridgets. still inexpensive to buy and
maintain and you'd have a hard time finding any car
thats more fun to drive.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Thanks, Steve....I really enjoy driving it...the 450 I,m looking for is the 450SLC5.0...they're pretty rare & I'm not in a hurry to find one.

Cost of parts will definately be a factor in most of the cars in my list... because most of them at buyers prices will need some work. I almost hesitated to list the maserati's and ferrari's because of that, but the entry price for the car is the main factor on those as was on most of the others I mentioned. Moderate rarity is also a factor for me... most of the cars on my list were not made in huge numbers (barring a few). Heck The most mass produced Lotus was the Esprit Turbo at about 10,000 cars (over nearly 20 years).

I also thought of Deloreans as you can get one anywhere from $15K to 25K, but even the 25K ones will more than likely need some expensive work.

I've seen driveable examples of all of the cars in my lists above for less than $10K (some in the under $5K territory), and that's my main reason for picking them. Most of them have good parts availability, and decent aftermarket support.

I think I'll add a couple more:
Audi Quattro (80's)
Shelby badged Dodges from the 80's (Daytona, GLH, GLHS, Lancer, CSX, and even the Dakota).

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Just got a phone call from the body shop - my 380SL is ready to be picked up! YEAH! First body work its had since new - we redid the clear coat as it was dead or dying...can't wait to get home this afternoon & pick it up...he says it shines like new!!

I'll tell you one thing: if you're willing to do the msaintenance using original Mercedes parts, these cars never die! If you don't do the maintenance, they fall apart tomorrow!

R6MGS

Yoda
Nice collection Steve P!!!

I agree with most of the cars mentioned as undiscovered classics....Firebird 400 and the 70's corvettes especially. Even the 80's corvettes are now available cheap, around here you can get them at around $5000. I know this will be disputed but I'd definatly have 80's camaro/firebirds on my list...Although not spectacular performers they are reliable, fun,cheap, and they look pretty good too....Also gotta mention the late 80's Monte Carlos(especially the SS version) I love the styling of those....I am sure there is others we've forgoten, maybe the 5.0L mustangs of the late 80's.
284243_45_full.jpg

I didn't mention any of the american 80's ponycars, because they have a cult following of their own, but they do fit my prerequisites. Can be had cheap. Fun to drive. reliable if kept up. Good parts availability... but they aren't that rare. For rare, Camero convertible and berlinetta, Montecarlo SS Aero (and the Grand Prix version), Transam GTA, Buick GNX, T-types and Grand Nationals, etc.

For me, the term "undiscovered classic" goes along with cheap now, but somewhat rare and collectable and possibly investment level cars... one's that may (or may not) become worth more after I've kept it for a couple decades, and had my fun rebuilding and driving them. But also one that hasn't gotten much, if any attention from collectors, or enthusiasts yet... Cars that have been forgotten - but not for long, or just weren't well known to begin with.

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
I agree with the Starion/Conquest -- good call.

Buick GNs and GNXs have been collectable from day one, and 1970s Corvettes are increasing rapidly (pre 1973 cars are very hot. 1978-1982 are also on fire.) Buick GNXs actually are EXTREMELY rare, and buying one will set you back more than a similar year Ferrari.

IROC Zs and Mustang GTs will be extremely collectable when their times come (30 years from release.)

Bret,
The Jag to have is the XJS V12 with the 4spd manual. Made just a handful, and only a few of those made it to the States. I do agree that the 6cyl cars fit the bill, especially the Vanden Plas. I wonder if the XJR will ever find collectability? Those things are great.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
I like the Mitsu/Dodge Starion/Conquest (TSI models) too. However, I'd like to add the Mistu Galant VR-4 to the list. It's not quite a "classic" yet, but it's getting close. Only imported into the US for 1991, and 1992. It was Mistu's ultimate sleeper.

And I'll agree with others, any of the Dodge 2.2L turbo cars from the 80's. Even more so, any of the Shelby Dodges from the 80's. Then there's the Dodge Daytona IROC that ran for maybe a year during the 80's too... I always fancied that car...

Oh yeah, though, this one might not be so "undiscovered", the Lotus Turbo Esprit S2.2... Another 2.2L turbo car from the 80's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

you'd be surprised at how many people don't know what a lotus esprit is.In the relatively low pruduction numbers, most haven't seen one in many years if at all. Still the least expensive supercar you can get IMHO, and the S1 S2 models seem pretty cheap right now for a driver. I wish I had the money to buy and restore one... I'm sure the prices will start going up on them by the time I have the money to buy one someday. Maybe a Europa would be the next best thing for a few pennies less. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

swift6

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
I like the Mitsu/Dodge Starion/Conquest (TSI models) too. However, I'd like to add the Mistu Galant VR-4 to the list. It's not quite a "classic" yet, but it's getting close. Only imported into the US for 1991, and 1992. It was Mistu's ultimate sleeper.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't they only make like 1000 of those as well? Had an approtunity to drive one of those for a day back in '00 including a blast around Portland International Raceway in it. What a blast. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
they imported 2000 Galant VR-4s in 1991 and only 1000 in 1992. It's by far the best sleepermobile the Japanese ever made, IMO. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Same engine that's in the Eclipse turbo 4g63 right? Also basically the same one in the Lancer Evo's. Just not a sporty looking car. But, I'm afraid it's already been discovered by many, so if you find one cheap, grab it quick!