• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

GT6 GT6 Dilemma

TriumphGT6

I really like my GT6 but I really wanted something faster for my toy. I bought a 87 Corvette Convertible in Mint shape w/ 45k miles.

The problem is that most people keep telling me how little value there is in my GT6, which is in ok shape. I was wondering how plausible, in Michigan, would it be as a daily driver?

I honestly don't know what to do when it comes to this car. I like it, but it's never really been what I have been looking for in a sports car (no offense to those that like it). The Vette has been great for me. Good gas mileage(18 & 26mpg on regular), reliable, bigger. As a daily car, I could let some of the GT6's flaws go.

Am I crazy?
GT6

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Hey - whatever you like is what ever you like. No need to justify.

Spring and Winter could be tough on any older car up there.

How far is your daily commute?

dklawson

Yoda
I own a Mk1 GT6 and don't take offense or exception to any of your points. I think our GT6 is a great highway car as long as you don't want to go over 65. Its gas mileage is great for a 1967 car, lousy by today's standards. I've always thought the car a bit nose heavy... and ours has been lowered.

We'll never get rid of ours because my father-in-law bought it new in the U.K. for export to the U.S. back in 1967. It's an heirloom. Were it not for that legacy, I wouldn't buy it. I certainly couldn't sell it for anywhere near the money I invested restoring it. As you said, they aren't worth much by LBC standards.

For a daily driver? That's up to you and your knowledge of the car. These aren't Hondas and Toyotas. While some people use LBCs as daily drivers they do so knowing that routine and preventive maintenance is a must. If you keep that in mind I'm sure you could use this for your daily commute.

The car may not have hit your sweet spot for a sports car... but you must like something about it or we wouldn't be having this discussion.

R6MGS

Yoda
I am sure it would make a decent daily driver, I drove a spitfire daily for many years and it was fine....Problem is the winter salt will destroy the car...Trust me, no matter what you do it will still get to it(I do have a few tricks to prolong this process, but it is inevidable). I'd suggest that if you intend to keep the GT6 use it for the spring, summer, and fall and drive a beater for the winter. If your at all concerned about value, it will drop even lower once the salt gets at it.

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi,

I agree with Doug that it's really up to you and your personal preferences are no one else's business! If you enjoy the car, great. If not, well get one that you do enjoy (it appears you already have). No apologies are necessary!

Personally, I'd really like to have a GT6 MKIII some day, to play around with tuning: engine, drivetrain and suspension. (I wish yours weren't more than halfway across the country from me... 2496 mi. to be exact!) But, "tuning" might not be the sort of thing you like to do and there is no reason you shouldn't just go ahead and enjoy the Corvette.

I would suggest you get a ride or take a test drive in some of the other Triumphs if want and you ever have the chance. You'll never know until you try. You just might enjoy a TR6, or whatever, more than you do the GT6, or even the Corvette!

Ever watch any of the resto/mod TV shows like Rides, Overhaulin', American Hotrod or Wrecks To Riches (I deliberately left out Pimp My Ride!)?

99 times out of 100 these "pro" shops are working on American muscle cars. But, the same basic principles can certainly be applied to LBCs. Notice how much emphasis they put on upgrading the car's suspension, brakes, drivetrain, etc. Only in very rare cases are the cars "restored" to highly original specifications. The fact is, most buyers want modern comfort, reliability and convenience underneath, while outwardly enjoying "classic" looks and aura.

In other words, the vast majority of buyers couldn't care less about a car that scores 95-100 points in a concours show. They want something to drive and enjoy on today's roads and in today's traffic.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

tomshobby

Yoda
I had a 67 when it was new and my expierence was more typical of the response I gave the State Trouper when he remarked that "this baby must really go"! I responded "it can keep up with traffic pretty good". That was when I went through his radar and was over a mile ahead when I first noticed his lights and pulled over to wait for him.

I also found mine to handle extremely well over 100mph.

The problem I had here was ice and snow. I actually bought a winter beater and garaged the GT6 because the light rear end made it worthless on slippery roads. It was not much better on gravel roads. For some reason it did well on wet roads though.

OP
T

TriumphGT6

I work on cars on a regular basis. Every car I've owned other than the Vette and GT6 needed major work to get it on the road when I got it.

1997 Dodge Neon - Blown Head Gasket
1991 Lincoln Town Car - Spun Main Bearing, oil cooked to block.
1996 Saturn SL1 - Burned a qt a week, crank was a little rough, so crank regrind, bore job and I cleaned the head while it was off.
1998 Toyota Camry - Crank Grind, Bore Job, Head resurfacing. All seats recovered with OEM covers (ebay steal for new in toyota packaging), carpet replaced. Needs a paint job still.

I work and go to school at a Community College, and it is 9 miles from my house. It would be doing that route for 4 days a week. My biggest concern would be insuring it as a daily driver. Any ideas where to go?

GT6