• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New MG Midget Owner

G

Hi everyone. I have just purchased a 1978 MG Midget. I have restored 9 different 1950s & 1960s Fords (3 Mustangs, Fairlane GTA, T-Bird, Falcon convertible, Crown Victoria, Model A, & Shelby GT500) over the years but have been out of the hobby for the past 2 years (quadruple bypass). I wanted to get back into the hobby but I wanted a car that was not a Ford (I have owned too many over the years) and that was fun. I have been researching many different cars and I decided on a MG Midget. I went to the MG Vintage races at Hallet Raceway 2 weeks ago and after meeting & talking to Midget owners I was sure that a Midget was for me. I bought a very nice car from Southern California and I'm having it shipped to my home. I should have it before the end of the month. I will probably have many questions after I get the car. I know alot about old Fords but the MG is new to me. Thanks in advance for any comments and assistance provided. Safety Fast!!!!

George Zeck

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Welcome Tony -

Youv'e found the best spot for answering questions @ these old cars. Learn the "search" function (top of the page) and search for 1 week to 200 weeks and that is always useful in addition to posting a quick question.

I would have junked my car if it wasn't for these bunch of wholigans. Very helpful & friendly.

George Zeck

Country flag
Welcome. We have all types of spridget owners here. Just be sure and put in your signature line that yours is a 1978. Otherwise, you might get some strange answers.

BTW, we like pictures. Got any of the Midget?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Welcome Tony, hope you find this forum helpful!

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Welcome aboard. You've found the right spot, lots of folks here to help.

Bugeye58

Yoda
Welcome, Tony. I've got way too many Midgets and Sprites, if that's possible, but none newer than a '74. But, I raced a 1500 Spitfire for a few years, and the engines are the same as your '78. Feel free to ask anything that comes to mind, us hooligans will give you a hand.
Jeff

capitalcitycars

Jedi Trainee
Welcome Tony! I purchased mine last Sept and the rehab is almost done. I could not have done it without this site. Not too many Midgets in Lansing, home of Oldsmobile[R.I.P.] and the new Caddys.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Welcome Tony!
The green Spridget in the signature picture (below) is my '78 1500 Midget racer.
Looking forward to hearing about your car.

OP
G

Thanks for the welcome to the MG Midget group and to the British Car Forum. I won't get the Midget until the end of the month since I'm having it shipped from California. As soon as I get the car I will post some pictures (if I can figure out how). The pictures I currently have are 9MB in size and too large to post.

Morris - I had a 1957 T-Bird for 18 years. It was a 3 time Best of Show winner and never received anything lower than a 1st place in class. Other cars I restored - 1931 Model A Coupe, 1955 Ford Crown Victoria, 1963 Falcon Futura convertible, 1965 Mustang coupe, 1965 Mustang fastback, 1966 Mustang coupe, 1966 Fairlane GTA hardtop, & 1968 Shelby GT500 fastback. I know alot about old Fords and maybe someday I'll know as much about MG Midgets.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
From one Tony to another Tony....welcome

(they'll never know being a "Tony" is more than a name!)

rulle7

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Greetings from a fellow '78 !
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

lesingepsycho

Jedi Warrior
Welcome Tony!

I think MG owners and Ford owners are cut from the same die!
It seems many of the MG enthusiasts here are or once were also Ford enthusiasts, myself included, so you should fit right in!

Cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

JACK

OP
G

Again I would like to thank everyone for the kind words & welcome. As soon as I get my Midget and start to check it out and get my hands dirty I'll probably be asking many questions.