• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

GT6 Engines: TR6 vs GT6

michalotti_tr

Jedi Knight
Ok, time to stir things up again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif I was just offered a GT6 engine for a good price, and I want to get some feedback about the possibility of putting it in my TR4A vs trying to get a TR6 engine. Will the engine fit?? Will it mount to a TR gearbox? What's the performance potential vs the TR6 engine? Sick, twisted minds want to know! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

tomshobby

Yoda
Match your sick and twisted and raise you one! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif

I wonder if you could put a TR6 crank and pistons in that engine? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

swift6

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, time to stir things up again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif I was just offered a GT6 engine for a good price, and I want to get some feedback about the possibility of putting it in my TR4A vs trying to get a TR6 engine. Will the engine fit?? Will it mount to a TR gearbox? What's the performance potential vs the TR6 engine? Sick, twisted minds want to know! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The advantage of the stroked engine (2.5) is increased torque. The 2.0 will rev higher and feels smoother. So, do you want torque or higher rpm?

Whether or not the TR6 crank will fit the 2.0 block depends mostly on the year of GT6 engine I think. I recall something about the early 2.0 engines having an interference with the stroked crank. The later blocks are also stronger (GT6 as well as TR6) from some exterior buttressing also think the head thicknesses were different for different compression ratios due to the difference in piston head height vs. combustion chamber size.

I also don't recall if the GT6 is a narrow port head or if they changed to a wider port spacing along with the TR6 or were always a wider port head. I don't recall if the valves were different either. Sorry, too many 'I don't recalls' to be of any real use.

As far as fitting to a TR transmission. It should as long as you have a TR rear engine plate. And yes it should fit in the TR4. I do believe that you would still have to change the engine mounting and radiator etc... but there should be no bonnet closure issues.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

BOXoROCKS

Jedi Knight
Ain't no substitute for cubes. Just my opinion here,but why not invest in larger pistons 87/89/92 and stroke the crank in your TR4 engine,that is my plan for my 57 TR3. If you go it my way chances are you will not lose investment value of your TR4.Actually you will probably increase its value.

bobh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Someone posted a question a few months ago about the engine in their TR6. It seems like the engine number was actually a GT6 number. You may want to search on that.
I'll take a guess at some things to consider. Maybe someone else knows the answer. Does the rear engine plate fron a GT6 match the bolt pattern for a TR6? If you look at Richard Good's site you can see his 3 carb manifold for a TR6 and a GT6. The GT6 appears to have the carbs raised. I don't know if this was due to interference problems or the head configuration. I suspect interference.
I've read that the 2000 engine block needed internal modifications to increase the stroke.
Is this the engine you want to experiment with? Are you looking for a donor engine to cut apart? Or an engine to build?
BOBH

G

One of my friend Dave Hayden's first restorations was a TR3 (he still has it) We went on a little cruise with my TR6 following (before I tricked the engine) and he kicked my toosh all over the place. Dave had slipped a GT6 engine in the TR3. What a runner!

Bill

tomshobby

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
Late GT6 blocks are TR6 blocks and verse-vicea. I am willing to talk,...for a chili dog with onions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a bribe to me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OP
michalotti_tr

michalotti_tr

Jedi Knight
Sorry guys, started the thread yesterday and then got a call about a family emergency - everything's ok, but I never got a chance to get back on the computer last night.

Tom: Being sick and twisted is fun, I use the Rat-Fink just to warn the innocents /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

Shawn: Thanks for the good info - my RAM works about as well as yours, I know I know something, but can't for the life of me dredge it back up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

BOXoROCKS: The current plan is to keep one of my 4 cyl engines so I can convert back if I ever want to (which leave a shortblock available for sale) How about a foot-long w/chili, cheese, onions and mustard? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

BobH: To build is to experiment - after my talks with the NZ company I feel pretty comfortable with the conversion as long as the block is sleeved - going that route you can actually push the TR6 engine to 3.0L with a stroked crank. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Anybody else got any tidbits I should be aware of?

swift6

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
after my talks with the NZ company I feel pretty comfortable with the conversion as long as the block is sleeved - going that route you can actually push the TR6 engine to 3.0L with a stroked crank. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

As the 2.5 crank is already a stroked version of the 2.0, that means your stroking a stroker. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Do they discuss mazda pistons for increased bore as well or is it just from extra stroke?

OP
michalotti_tr

michalotti_tr

Jedi Knight
[ QUOTE ]
As the 2.5 crank is already a stroked version of the 2.0, that means your stroking a stroker. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Do they discuss mazda pistons for increased bore as well or is it just from extra stroke?

[/ QUOTE ]

The NZ company specializes in the Mazda conversion, and quoted me a price of US $500 (plus $50 shipping to US) for a set of pistons and rods. then we discussed the boring and sleeving of the block - they use a special, thicker sleeve if it's needed. This can get you 2.7L engine w/approx 9.5 C/R

Paeco offers a stroked (.250") TR6 crank that combined with the Mazda pistons will net you a 3.0L engine, if you're inclined that direction.

swift6

Yoda
Uh oh... The gears are whirring...

Stroked crank & increased bore for 3.0 litres. Aluminum head, aluminum waterpump and housing. Fuel injection. Ya starting to feel me? Too bad that money thing keeps getting in the way right now. While I get goosebumps with what Rick Patton, Dick Taylor and Lee Jansen have done as well as what Alan(a) is doing. There is still something I prefer about naturally aspirated engines. A big part of it for me is the aesthetic under the bonnet. Just a personal thing for my own car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

OP
michalotti_tr

michalotti_tr

Jedi Knight
[ QUOTE ]
Uh oh... The gears are whirring...

Stroked crank & increased bore for 3.0 litres. Aluminum head, aluminum waterpump and housing. Fuel injection. Ya starting to feel me? Too bad that money thing keeps getting in the way right now. While I get goosebumps with what Rick Patton, Dick Taylor and Lee Jansen have done as well as what Alan(a) is doing. There is still something I prefer about naturally aspirated engines. A big part of it for me is the aesthetic under the bonnet. Just a personal thing for my own car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm feeling it! Now if we could get someone to cast an aluminum block we'd really be talking!/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

Ahh, money (or the lack thereof) is the bane of my existance - the things I could do if I had the cash! I agree forced induction is impressive, but I love being able to tweak carb s or an FI system

swift6

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I'm feeling it! Now if we could get someone to cast an aluminum block we'd really be talking!/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be happy with a DOHC head instead of a block. Sort of a mini XK or DB engine then. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

OP
michalotti_tr

michalotti_tr

Jedi Knight
[ QUOTE ]
I'd be happy with a DOHC head instead of a block. Sort of a mini XK or DB engine then. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't we all? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif