• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 FRONT SHOCKS?

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
In your opion, what are the best front shocks for a 71 TR6? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grouphug.gif

G

I put KYB's on the front of mine. They are the best cheap performance shock on the market IMO, I've run them on all my Mustangs and such, they perform far better than their price would indicate. They aren't quite as good as something like Koni, if you've got money to spend then something like that might be a better option. But if you're on a budget or just don't want to spend alot KYB's are a good choice. Also, you won't find a part number for KYB's for a TR6, you have to call them and tell them thats what it's for. The shock you get will actually be for a Mustang II, and you'll need to trim the bottom mount bolt tube down a bit since the Mustang uses a longer bolt. If you're interested let me know and I can dig up my receipt with the part #.

G

When you order front shocks from TRF, what you will get will be adequate shocks made in India. They're ok I guess. I now have Koni's on the front and Spax on the rear.

Bill

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
I would appreciate your effort in looking up that KYB number. I got the tube shocks on the back but need to replace the front shocks as they are the OE with 82k miles and 32 years of service.

OP
kodanja

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
Scott
if you could find that part # for the KYB's, that would be great!

do the Koni's need to be modified also?
thanks so much!
Bill

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Bill,

I have Koni's also they installed with no modifications. I'm using Spax in the rear. I bought mine from Tire Rack for a huge discount from the big three parts houses. I'll try to look up the part number for you.

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
If you're interested in koni, give Tire Rack a call. Ask for Koni part number: 80-1784. They won't list our cars, they're too old, but they can get the shocks.

G

I will look up the KYB part number when I get home later tonight, it's somewhere in the Manhattan phone book sized folder of receipts I've got for this car. I contacted KYB directly to get the specs on the shock size and the part number, but order them from PST.

Performance Suspension Technology

Makes sense the Konis are drop in, since they are made specifically for the TR6. As I said, the KYB's are made for a Mustang II and require a slight bit of mounting point alteration to fit. Just measure the length of the bottom bolt tube on your existing shock and trim each side of the new one with a hacksaw or cutoff wheel to match.

OP
kodanja

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
great info thanx!

ballpark figure for the Koni's and for the KYB's??

ALLAN

Jedi Warrior
My KYB also fit with no modification, they came from British Parts Northwest, Im sure it is the same as KYB from other British suppliers, sorry cant get to the number. I am going to change to spax shocks I have found the KYBs too stiff. My KYBs will be for sale when I get them off within the next month, they have 500 miles on them (like new). They sell new at BPNW for $42, will sell both for $50+shipp.

OP
kodanja

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
are the Spax that much better?

what would be the difference between Spax and Koni's?

ALLAN

Jedi Warrior
The Spax have a variable adjustment and you can dial them in to your prefrence and they have always been known to be a very good shock but they cost twice as much. The KYBs are a good shock but non adjustable.

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
koni's have the best internals and are adjustable but you have to take them out to adjust.spax are externally adjustable but (as i have heard) not quite as good as koni's. koni's last longer. there are also avo shocks from britain. these are externally adjustable and used by revington tr. said to be better than spax and can order direct from avo for about 45 british pounds.
rob

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi,

Koni shocks are also rebuildable, altgough the cost isn't a great deal less than buying new.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

OP
kodanja

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
I think im going to go with the Koni's
Ill have to order them.
who is the best distibutor for this item?

G

Well, I found my receipt, I got the KYB's from PST as I thought. Unbelievable, the stupid receipt does not list the part number, sorry. However, I checked their website and the part number for a gas-a-just front shock for a 74-78 Mustang II is KG4511, which sounds familiar to me. Best to call KYB directly yourself and confirm that that shock # will also fit a TR6. Like I said, they knew what I was talking about when I asked so they should be able to confirm it. Funny, this is also the same shock as for a Pinto.

KYB catalog

Allan, you say you ordered KYB's from BPNW and they fit without modification, you are talking about rear shocks right? Like for the tube shock conversion? Thats the only KYB they list on their site for a TR6, as part of the conversion kit. That fit because it's some other model shock that happens to work with the conversion, it's not made specifically for the TR6.

ALLAN

Jedi Warrior
I have the rear conversion with KYB and the front KYB both from British Parts Northwest. Their Front KYBs are listed as heavy duty gas shock--they are the KYBs-if you enlarge the picture you can see the KYB sticker.--------Considering the price for Konis I think they are an overkill for most, unless you are doing alot of racing, but they are the best.

swift6

Yoda
I've also got KYB's on all four corners. When I installed the fronts there were no modifications needed. Bolted right in. Bought them through BPNW as well. I really like the performance of the KYB's. Of course I am also using them with shorter springs that have a higher rate as well.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif