• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

'71 Midget vs Miata

G

I just read an interesting artical.
Grass Roots Motorsports Magazine started a new magazine for cars like we have called Classic Motorsports which I got a sample of their first issue.
They have a project ragged out '71 Midget which they are going to fix up to compete with Miatas. Even in the terrible condition it is in before starting on the project, it came within 3 seconds of their project Miata on the autocross course.
Makes interesting reading. here is their web site and they show it on there.
https://www.classicmotorsports.net/

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold

Bret

Yoda
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by mrbassman:
Oops, looks like I am the bearer of old news. Sorry
blush.gif
<hr></blockquote>

Don’t worry, Doug was only pointing out one of the other threads on the new magazine. And from what I can tell most of us in this forum seem to like it.

As for the Midget project - I too am closely following it. Can’t wait for when they start putting it back together to see the results.

cheers.gif

OP
G

Thanks, Bret, I think that Midget will tare up that Miata when properly set up.
hammer.gif

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by mrbassman:
Thanks, Bret, I think that Midget will tare up that Miata when properly set up.
hammer.gif
<hr></blockquote>

ayup

Twinkie

Jedi Hopeful
It'll be interesting to see how much work and cash the midget will need to get it within competing range...
I watch stock and modified miatas on auto x courses regularly and it's amazing how well they stick.

Bret

Yoda
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Twinkie:
It'll be interesting to see how much work and cash the midget will need to get it within competing range...
I watch stock and modified miatas on auto x courses regularly and it's amazing how well they stick.
<hr></blockquote>

Great point. However if you re-read the article you will see that the money issue isn’t lost or ignored by the folks at Classic Motorsports. Going so far as admitting that they know that some of us will ask the following question.

“What would happen if you spent the same money hot-rodding the Miata, instead of messing with the Midget?”

They admitted that this is a real concern, but they have had to assume that we (as readers of the magazine) have “a leap of faith and an incomplete grasp of reality on our part to get this far with them”. But after all is said & done with Project Midget to be fair they do plan on comparing the finished Midget to the same Stock Miata, as well as the their “Project Miata” from the sister magazine (Grassroots Motorsports).

For more go to the following web page:
https://www.classicmotorsports.net/

cheers.gif

Tiger

Jedi Warrior
When the magazine came out I posted something about it at Miata.Net, and a big % of the responses were knee-jerk MG-bashing. Sigh...
hammer.gif

Bret

Yoda
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Tiger:
When the magazine came out I posted something about it at Miata.Net, and a big % of the responses were knee-jerk MG-bashing. Sigh...
hammer.gif
<hr></blockquote>

Not in the least bit surprising. I’m kind’a reminded of two quotes.

The first is one is what my Grandfather would say in situations like this.

“Some folks just naturally seem to forget where they came from”.

Seems to me that there wouldn’t even be a Miata today, if’n it wasn’t for “real” British Sports Cars like the MGs & Lotuses.

The second quote comes from that age old argument between the Harleys and the Japanese Bikes owners. When pressed by the Nippon bike owners about the superiority of the Japanese bikes over the American Hogs. The HD owner will simply say:

“If I have to explain it to you – you wouldn’t understand”.

Fast-forward to the present day and all of the Japanese bike companies are manufacturing big V-twin cruisers.

cheers.gif

Twinkie

Jedi Hopeful
And the bashing goes both ways. When the Miata came out it was dragged over the coals by "real" Brit sportscar fans, and still is.
An unfortunate trait from enthusiasts of all different kinds of products, entertainment, etc.
I used to be guilty of it as well. When I used to own MGBs, I sneered at Triumphs. I ended up owning three Spitfires and loved them all.
some of the jeering is/was in jest, unfortunately it can also get serious, like in car shows, which is quite ridiculous, really...