• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGC Wrecked MGC-GT

jackq

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Last nite my recently completed CGT was run off the road by a mindless 18 year old kid...he was drift racing, lost control and slid into our lane. My wife yelled and I had no choice but to swerve right, hit a curb, slid on just irrigated grass, went into a four ft. deep concrete culvert, up the opposite inclibe going airborne and slamming into a theater parking lot. My wife and I are bruised and sore...piece of crap Suzuki 4 dr. hatch back has a wiped out front under carriage(he wiped out the curb) and my CGT is probaly totalled.Front end, under carriage the full length, rack, wires etc. I own a roll back but was too sore...and ****...to use it so my pals at American Auto Salvage came and delivered it to my VW shop. I'm sick...my wife wants his...... on a platter. His dad came, called his insurer which is USAA and admitted they were at fault. I talked to USAA last nite and are offering a rental...repairs..yeah right..or a replacement CGT. I told them there HAD to be thousands of them in any local paper for sale. I ramble...but then again I'll probaly never drive my C again.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
There aren't any words, Jack...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Mickey

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Good thing you and you wife are physically OK.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
This is indeed ugly news. So sorry to heart it. Make darned sure you two are physically alright.

See to it the perp can't drive again for years if possible?

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker
I'm sorry to hear this. On the bright side, you and your wife could have been injured or worse. Hopefully the kid learned a lesson from this. Did you have an appraisal? Do you have an attorney? If you settle for $ you might want to condider buying the salvaged CGT back for parts. I believe you have the right of first refusal.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
From the sound of things, there was no serious injuries.
That's # 1.

But, except for the kind of folks that are on this site, no one will ever *get* how much that car means to you.
Sorry to hear about all this.

I am presently helping a friend restore an MGC-GT. I've driven it and it's a lovely car.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The only good thing is that USAA is about the best insurance company around.

Just make sure that they pay for the car and restoration of same complete, including your labor.

I have used them for over 45 years and they have always been very very good.

OP
jackq

jackq

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thank you all for your thoughts. As far as appraisals..most ins. companies call me for foreign cars as this is truck and tractor land and not many folks with non american knowledge. Lawyer..I got a good one...old geezer..got my C roadster from him. He's at my shop alot and has an attitude as he has both Parkinsons and Cancer..is an MG freak and hates rice racers. hes also the fedral Magistrate. The more I think about this...the madder I get. I went to E-bay and ther is one CGT builder..in a box and engine is apart..Buy it now for 3995. I AM NOT in the market for a builder. Does anyone know...price dosen't matter..of any CGTs for sale?? And yes, I'll buy the C back if totalled.

Jack...I am truly sorry.

As a past Chairman of NAMGBR, and current Executive Director of the MG Council (as well as owner of two MGC's) if I can do anything to help you with the settlement. I would also recommend trying to keep the car if at all possible.

Regards...

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker
[ QUOTE ]
Lawyer..I got a good one...old geezer..got my C roadster from him. He's at my shop alot and has an attitude as he has both Parkinsons and Cancer..is an MG freak and hates rice racers. hes also the fedral Magistrate. The more I think about this...the madder I get. I went to E-bay and ther is one CGT builder..in a box and engine is apart..

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you're set for legal representation should you require it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

I know you're still upset at the loss and you have every right to be. However you might want to approach this as two distinct transactions. The loss and the replacement. Negotiate the best settlement possible for your loss and retain the car. Then and only then, go shopping for the best MGC you can find. Cs are rare (relatively speaking) and you don't want to just buy one in haste to replace what you had. Especially if you have a C roadster to tide you over for a bit. If you like a challenge, this one has 8900 original miles for about $18K (in the UK). With the parts you already have, it would be easier to convert it to LHD that to fixup a dodgy eBay example. Just a thought.

19566.jpg

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
ah... but then the question begs, if you had a proper RHD why would you want to convert it to LHD? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Glad to hear you're ok, Jack! Terrible to hear about the C GT /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I know I've done stupid things in my youth, but I was always considerate enough to do it in locations where I would be the only person injured. I wish you the best of luck in replacing/rebuilding the car and making this knuckle dragger pay for his mistake.

Steve_S

Yoda
I can't even begin to describe how such lack of respect for life and property maddens me. While the situation is tragic, I am glad everyone is relatively ok. But if I got a hold of that kid, he would not be.

Dennis P

Jedi Hopeful
had my 74 bgt totalled by an 18 yr old, after 10 days on the road. my sympathies. it was no jot building another one, until i finished it. glad all aare well.

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
Sorry to hear, rather very very sorry to hear. Make sure you and your wife are okay, sometimes injuries stay hidden for a while.

We have all done stupid things, but I agree with Nunya's mine were only done where I could be the only one injured.

I also agree with everyone else, get as much money as you can, buy the car back and get another one.

sorry again

bcliff

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I showed this to my 18 year old kid. He said that he would like to get "in touch" with the guy that ran you off the road for a little "education". My son drives a 73 Triumph Stag that he has invested many hours in. He just doesn't understand how anyone could mistreat a car and endanger other people.
I guess it pays to start them young so they learn to love and respect their car.
Good luck with your replacement. I hope the young driver gets everything he deserves.

Rob_Edwards

Jedi Hopeful
I too am very glad that you and your wife are not seriously injured. Do get medical attention to ensure that you're not hurt more than you thought.

Now go sic your lawyer on that kid!!!

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
I feel gutted for you, and we all know how you must feel. Unfortunately these kids never think of "what if" when driving, with a few notable exceptions. They all think that they are better drivers than anyone else on the road and have little to no consideration for others. I wish you luck in your search for a replacement. There will be one out there, just be patient. And both of you, get checked out by a doctor anyway, just in case!

twigworker

Jedi Trainee
My condolences for your injuries as minor as they hopefully will turn out to be, and for our lose of the GT. Posse's, Tony's or mine, are not good enough for idiot kids that do that sort of thing. IMHO no licence for that guy until he turns thirty! Perhaps a charge of attempted homicide might stick! The only good news to come out of this, other than your well being of course, is the tribute to the strength of our LBCs. Even Spridgets have a LOT of structural integrity when the going gets rough. Just try to imagine what one of those tin can ricers would have looked like had it been through the heck that the C did. And just try to imagine what you and your wife would have looked like being passengers in the blasted thing. A Subaru Outback is one thing but a lowered rice rocket at 85 miles and hour is another thing entirely. My suggestion: Go find the most perfect, most expensive CGT on the planet and send the kid the bill. Thank the Lord that the two of you are in good shape. Jack

twigworker

Jedi Trainee
and another thing

This is perfect example of why it is so important to document ALL of the work that goes into our restorations, with both written accounts, parts and labor billings and photographs. This is no different than what we all should be doing for our homeowner's coverage. Jack