• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Wiring problem - re headlights/starter motor 74TR6

DonaldA

Freshman Member
My car has just developed the following problem - it starts fine - I turn the headlights on and the starter motor engages - is the problem with the headling switch or something else.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Re: Wiring problem - re headlights/starter motor 7

2 things. Only drive in the daytime and don't turn on your lights unless you want to start the car.
don

G

Donald,
I hope you like to unravel wiring harnesses. The wires that feed your headlamps are crossing over somewhere, probably with some abrasion in your harness. Was your car stored in a barn for an extended period where vermin could have chewed on your harness? Since neither the headlights nor the starter motor run throught the fuse box, I would think that the two circuits touch one another when you activate the headlights. Should be under the dash within all that spaghetti twist of a harness. Have you considered doing a rewire of you whole harness? Not that bad a job really. Contact British Wiring (britishwiring.com) for prices. This really is a weekend project, perhaps a long weekend. What's interesting is the fact that the headlight switch only gives a momentary bust to the starter, just as you would do with the keyswitch. Seems that turning on the headlights and having the car start is frightful enough that you only give it that momentary bust it needs, otherwise you would be hanging up your starter. Now, this question isn't a leadup to a really bad joke is it?

Bill

D

DougF

Before tearing up your harness, try cleaning all of your ground connections. I once had a problem with the headlights going on when honking the horn.(another Lucas safety measure). These two are on separate circuits, but share a common ground. If it doesn't work, you have the satisfaction of the ground not causing future problems.
After cleaning, coat the surface with dialectric grease or a similar product to halt further corrosion.

OP
D

DonaldA

Freshman Member
Thanks for the advice re my wiring problem. A
as I have just finished doing the engine compartment it made sense that a ground wire was not connected properly and as there are only two I redid the one that comes out of the firewall near the battery first and it was not making contact - again thanks for the good advice.

OP
D

DonaldA

Freshman Member
Thanks for your advice, it was a ground fault. I redid the one that comes out of the firewall and problem solved.