• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bio-Diesel Triumph

G

Did Triumph ever make any of their cars diesel, and wouldn't it be great to run them on French Fry Grease.
Hmmmm, wonder what logo I could use on my license plate?
Besides nuts.....

Bill

OP
G

Since I have this "freebie" TR3 engine sitting on my stoop, is it possible to convert this little jewel to diesel. I've got the long stroke, just need to get the head converted and figure out a way to inject the diesel. Can that head handle super-high compression? Lots of other things to consider I guess. Were any Fergueson tractors diesel? Or should I be at work right now instead of goofing off?

Bill

OP
G

Yeah, at least. There is some new technology out there that utilizes improved piston design to achieve a low-compression diesel. I just think that a long-stroke, low revving engine is crying to be reincarnated as a diesel.
Heck, we are already used to the oil leaks, smoke and odors. Why not go to the next level and save the planet?
Or at least one corner of it.

Bill

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
No Triumph diesels.

The popular Austin London cabs were mostly diesel. The original Austin Healey 100-4 engine was also built as a diesel for sedans (a sturdy engine!).

English Perkins diesels were used in Land Rovers (and boats).

My students are presently building a bio-diesel ~PARADE BUGGY~ .

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Why not go to the next level and save the planet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bill,

I think Benz is doing a lot of work to make diesels less polluting than gas, but they do this with sophisticated injection and a better grade of diesel than what is available in the U.S. I'm not sure that this goal would be easily achievable in a garage. Remember back in the 80's when GM tried to convert the 350 block to diesel (and they had GM's resources)? My parents had a diesel Caddy.. what a pile of junk.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
No Triumph diesels....
English Perkins diesels were used in Land Rovers (and boats)...

[/ QUOTE ]And it might have been a Perkins unit that was used in some Standard Vanguards; the picture I have of that engine bears almost no resemblance to the wet-liner engine of the Vanguard/TR. Roughly 42 or so hp max at around 3400 rpm, but around 85 lb/ft torque at about 1400 rpm!

Something tells me that this might alter the sporting nature of a TR. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

piman

Darth Vader
Hello Bill,

"Why not go to the next level and save the planet?"

How? And this planet is going to be here for a very long time to come, whatever we do or do not do.

Alec

OP
G

[ QUOTE ]
save the planet?

Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps a very small corner, Alec...

Bill

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
More like "save a corner of your wallet"
I like the grease car design myself.
Bio diesel requires the use of a small "refinery" really just a vat, and some other ingredients that you have to buy, to make it. It's still FAR cheaper per gallon than gas, and it can be run in any diesel auto.
Grease cars on the other hand are modified with a heated fuel system and a special filter so they can run on either diesel or straight used vegtable oil (fryer grease)
Thus becoming an absolutly free fuel source.
I'm gonna build one! I mean it!......some day.