• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Tonneau Cover Installation Instructions?

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hello everyone,

Does anyone have any guidlines for installing a tonneau cover for a TR6? My car already has the snaps installed, so I just need to install the snaps on the cover itself. From the looks of it the process seems simple enough, but if anyone has gone through this any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

D

DougF

I have never installed a tonneau on a TR6 but have installed a TR3 top and TR6 boot cover so I so have a little experience.
First off, work in the sun so the vinyl is pliable. Lay the tonneau on position to get an idea of what you are doing.
I would start at the front closest to the zippers, centering with your door snaps and also making sure you have good length to your windshield base and to the rear snaps. Install those first two loops at the zipper. Next, install the back center snap. When I installed mine, I used a white paint pen to mark my spots. A piece of chalk would work quite well. At each position, make certain that you are not bunching. Measure twice, cut once.
Next, I would go door to door. Continue working around the car at opposite points until finished.
When pulling the material taut at each of the snap positions, use consistent pressure. This will help achieve a better fit. Have somebody position and hold the side opposite of where you are working on the tonneau to insure good snap position.
The TR3 top came out quite well using this method.
The biggest thing is to take your time.

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
I just wanted to say hats off to you or salute or something respectful because I think I have accomplished something great and big when I get my tonneau cover on the TR6 (snaps and all attachments pre fitted by BL). You are the man.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag

Ab Crevoiserat

Jedi Hopeful
Thats exactly right Doug, When I installed mine I did it the same way, The only real problem were those "Lift-the-Dot fasteners up in the windshield. I would do those first if they are not already on.

G

Hey Shannon,
A company called King Richard markets a really nice tool for automatic and perfect installation of Dot snaps. (Of course you should only use Dot brand snaps and not a hobby shop variety. Dots are made for weather and will not rust.) Anyway, this device, looks akin to a Vice Grip tool and installs snap with the material in place on the car. I was able to install two tops using this tool with ease. Well, not really with ease, the snaps went on with ease.
Too, you can get heavy grip Dot Snaps which afford you a stronger grip on the male portion, good thing with covers and tops at speed.

Bill

FA Gordon

Freshman Member
Shannon,
I bought a hammer and anvil setting tool from Ace. I think it may come packaged with some snap fastener refills ($6-7). Instead of pounding on the setting tool with a hammer, I bought a 3" c-clamp from home depot and used it to press the setting tool and hence the snap. The c-clamp has small recess in the screw end that the hammer part of the tool will fit into. Snappy.
Good Luck