• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR5/TR250 Throttle Cable for TR250 's and 6's

Ab Crevoiserat

Jedi Hopeful
The Throttle Cable and Brackets for the TR250 and 6's are now available. They will fit Double and Triple SU and Stromberg set ups as well as Twin Weber down drafts. If you are interested you can get them from https://www.rat-co.com I can not deal with you direct, you need to order from them if you want one. Pictures of the Upgrade Kit will be posted on the web site this week but they are available as of this Monday 4/10/06 Be aware that there are only a limited amount available. These take time to make and I'm not sure of the next run. I know that we are going to Carlisle and we will have some there.

Andy Blackley

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Great news Ab! I sent them an email to reserve mine. Many thanks for your efforts! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

OP
Ab Crevoiserat

Ab Crevoiserat

Jedi Hopeful
JFS

No sorry tried as we did we could not make a single bracket that fit all applications. We need to designe a seperate bracket for the Weber side drafts. There will be one I promis. When we figure it out I'll let you know.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Any instructions come with this?
don

[/ QUOTE ]

When I was at Ratco Saturday, I did see instructions. And, BTW, the powder coating on the brackets looks great! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

OP
Ab Crevoiserat

Ab Crevoiserat

Jedi Hopeful
Just an update: There are instructions with the kit, though anyone of us who has done anyting on these cars should ba e able to figure it out without much trouble. The information will be up on the RATCO site this week. I spoke to Tony at Ratco and the price will be $89.95 + shipping and tax (if applied in NY) Thanks for the interest.. Ab

G

Talked to Tony also, mine is on the way. Will be nice to be able to get full throttle. As with any flexible throttle cable setup, my only concern will be how stong will the return pull be. Will wait and see but talking to the people at Pegasus Racing, any pull-pull cable setup will need the return action to be a pull only, not a push. The only return spring will be on the carbs themselves. The return spring that is hooked to the lever on the firewall will "push" the cable back, not pull it. Now, I don't have my setup in hand and may be talking out of school (hope so) but I will consider fabricating an auxillary arm with a spring to "pull" the throttle shaft back to idle, not push it. Or am I all wet? (Not that that has ever been the case before)

Bill

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Bill,

Thats a good point... After talking with Tony, I think if there are any short comings, he would do his best to make it right. He sounds like a stand up guy.

I'd love to have one of his new chassis.... I just need to figure out how to get it into the garage and installed under my TR without my wife seeing it...

OP
Ab Crevoiserat

Ab Crevoiserat

Jedi Hopeful
I just got home from work and I saw the thred on the concern of a return spring. Of course I went to the garage and looked at my bench set of Strombergs and played with them for a bit. There should be enough return in the springs on the carbs to return the pedal but if you need more you can hook a spring from the choke cable bracket on the carb to the throttle stop lever. It's just a qiuck fix but it will work. As for SU's I need to go to RATCO because that's where the bench set of those are. It's a good observation, thanks for the input. In the mean time I'll look further into it.

OP
Ab Crevoiserat

Ab Crevoiserat

Jedi Hopeful
Please disregard the last entry about where to place a spring for a quick fix. I must have been bleery eyed from the grave yard shift. Now that I have had some sleep I went back and looked again, not a good place to put a spring, too much interference. This is a good excersize, problem solving, now I'm going to be obsesed with this.

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Well, I got my linkage kit today and couldn't wait to rip into the project... and after the obligatory two hours of lawn work I snuck into the sanctuary (garage) and got started.

First my opinions of the kit: Everything was well made and very sturdy.. much better than the stock linkage. You get two brackets, one that mounts on the firewall and the other bolting to the bottom of the carb thats closest to the firewall. The cable itself is protected by a braided stainless cover which looks pretty nice. The documentation was a little fuzzy, but after reading it several times, I eventually figured it all out.

The install: I've got Richard Good's triple carb setup, so things were slightly different than the documentation. I had to grind about 1/4" off of the firewall bracket because it rubbed one of the radiator hoses and I also had to bend it slightly because the triple carbs sit about 3/4" lower than the stock setup. Other than that, everything went like clockwork. I still have to adjust it a little to get full travel, but it got late and I quit for the night. The setup uses the stock spring, so my throttle return was as it was before.

I've got pictures of the install that I'll post tomorrow, but for now, I'm heading to bed.

All things considered, its a much superior linkage setup than what I had. The other always looked so fragile.

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I haven't posted any pics because I think I'm going to have to re-do my install of the throttle linkage.

If you read in my post above, I had to bend the throttle plate to fit, I'm pretty sure I found the reason why. I currently have my gearbox out installing an overdrive. I had a floor jack supporting the motor, but since it's been there for nearly two months it bled down a bit allowing the engine to tilt back towards the firewall. It didn't even occur to me to check that.... I think the best thing to do now is to wait until I have the gearbox back in the car, which should be Tuesday or Wednesday, and see if it fits better. If this is my problem, and I fully intend it to be, then the kit should fit without any modifications whatsoever.

I'll post what I have tonight, it should give everyone an idea of how it goes together.

OP
Ab Crevoiserat

Ab Crevoiserat

Jedi Hopeful
There are pics. on my site though they are of the original set. The Accelerator bracket is still the same. The bracket on the carburetor is the won that has changed, but the it still works the same. www.abstr6.com

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
one thing I have not figured out. Do you cut into the scuttle area behind the washer bottle?
don