• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

British Specials... from the 1950's

I found this site a few minutes ago... I only looked breifly so far, but there's lots of cars here I never knew existed...
https://www.1950sspecials.com/home.htm

I cross posted the link to the racing forum too... Some are racers, some aren't.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I've gotta get a life - its scary how many of those I knew....heck, there was one of these on ebay not long ago:

la_daw2.jpg

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I've gotta get a life - its scary how many of those I knew....

[/ QUOTE ]

Just chalk it up to a long memory!

I'm not sure why the La Dawri is on that site, since they sold mostly (only?) bodies. Their work was very good quality although I always thought they were ugly. A friend built one on a brand new solid axle Corvette frame that my father sold him.

I was happy to see Buckler on it, which is an unknown outfit in this country & not all that well known in Britain these days. They have a small hard-core group of believers who keep it alive, though, including his son. If Buckler had been a more agressive businessman, he would have given Lotus a run for their money.

OP
kennypinkerton
I got into the C's when I figured I'd post the link here... Lot's of interesting stuff... I was inspired by your site John C.

And oooohh.... Tony, what that one sell for? I love the looks of it. I like alot of the specials, but I prefer something I can go get parts for.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Kenny - everything except the bodies is readily available on most of those cars....well, not the specialty engine pieces...

OP
kennypinkerton
...and the interior bits, and the trim, and the...

Oh, well... Maybe one day I'll be financially "set up" enough to pursue one. I'm in that dark age right now where the house is only 4 years away from being paid for. When I refinanced it for 2.5 times less the years to payoff, the payment pushed my budget. I'm not far off... And the house will be paid for before I'm 38 years old...

...Planning goes a long way! I'll have some more cool cars and a big garage before I'm 40!

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Lemme tell you - life's different when there's no house payment!

OP
kennypinkerton
That's why I refinanced... Yes, the $220 payment was nice, but at 30 years (on a mobile home yet), seemed a little extreme to me. So 6 years ago I refinanced at a (relatively very high interest rate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif) for 10 years payoff. Even the loan guy was impressed at how soon it would be paid off (he's had people refinance for 40+ years). But starting in July, I'm on the halfway mark! (half interest - half principle). I'm glad I didn't get into collector/enthusiast cars before 2 years ago!

How many other's making lower-middle-working-class income can say their home was paid for at 37 years old? I'm doing good, and get frustrated that I don't have the money for my projects like some others do, but I know it's coming. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
A tidbit from a brochure lyin' about here at th' hovel:
ledawri.jpg

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Man, Doc, that thing (the Sicialian) is to die for!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Tell that to "Mainah" John!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

roger_abbott

Jedi Hopeful
Anyone have an interest in the Armstrong-Siddeley Sapphire saloon? It was produced from 1952 to 1956, I think. The company also built military airplanes and jet engines and dropped the autombile part of their business in 1960.

D

Deleted member 3577

[ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure why the La Dawri is on that site, since they sold mostly (only?) bodies. Their work was very good quality although I always thought they were ugly.

[/ QUOTE ]

ColdPlugs was being nice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Let me tell you how they really look..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pukeface.gif (except for 1 model)

jsneddon

Jedi Knight
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Tony, what that one sell for? I love the looks of it. I like alot of the specials, but I prefer something I can go get parts for.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's the one I'm thinking of it didn't hit the reserve. Same car was up about 6 months ago too and never hit it. I think the bidding was up to around 8K and that was too low- no engine or interior, just the chassis and body. My old man is on the hunt for this guy to see what else he's got laying around. He's got an amazing collection of stuff he showed us one time but we lost touch and he moved somewhere else in town. VERY secretive character. I used to live 3 blocks from his old place and I'd see some very shiny, very red, very italian stuff come and go but it would be at about 11pm and they would load em in closed carriers.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
The cars that Doc E has posted seem to have an intentional "closeness" (in name and appearance) to the famous Cisitalia (a beautiful car...there is one in the NY Metropolitan Museum of Art).
Many consider the Cisitalia the best-looking car ever built.

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Tell that to "Mainah" John!!...

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell me what?

We're confusing "specials" with "bodies". The La Dawri and others of its ilk weren't specials, they were fiberglass bodies sold in various states of completion. The individual who built it determined how good it was.

Just like a few other things in life - the body & appearance catches your eye but it's what's inside that holds your interest & determines quality.

The above notwithstanding, whenever I see a picture of that Sicilian I think "Moretti", especially from the front. (A compliment, I think).

April 1st - Day one of fishing season, and I'll be out digging trenches.

Bugeye58

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
April 1st - Day one of fishing season, and I'll be out digging trenches.

[/ QUOTE ]

Planning on an invasion, John?
Jeff

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
John! You'd said you thought they were ugly, Tony thought the Sicilian was good lookin'... no other intent than that. Certainly nothing insulting or demeaning was intended (well, mebbe a poke about livin' above the tree line /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif ).

I shoved that scan up as info only, the brochure has more of his car bodies but those two are about the nicest looking. I know they weren't "specials", rather DIY bodies, not British either. There was a Henry-J in the family and the Old Man toyed with the idea of one of these bodies, I have the brochure and thought it would be germain. Sorry.

D

Deleted member 3577

I have heard of a Devin-MGA, Devin-Healey, LaDawri-TR3

Also I have heard of Devin & LaDawri Specials. (taken to mean that everything underneath is home made.

Additionally, I have heard of MGA & Triumph Specials where the cars were re-bodied by home made coaches.

Something like a WhatsThatNoise Special would be home made inside & out. (and probably pretty darn scary to drive) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif