Thread: tr4-rear tube shocks

This forum is strictly for discussing racing, such as SCCA-style Road-Racing, AutoCross, and other styles of motorsports that are relevant to British Cars.

Jedi Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

tr4-rear tube shocks

has anyone seen tube shocks in a tr4? (NOT 4A !)in kas s latest book a guy from australia did this. any ideas on this? i think i reeeeeaaallllly want to do this. i don't quite follow how he did it. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif[/img]
    tgif [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thirsty.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thirsty.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif[/img]
    rob
    "what's this bill on the mastercard!!!!!"
    "ok, what did you buy now!"
    "you need to stop buying stuff on e-bay!!!!!"
    from
    "she who must be obeyed"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: tr4-rear tube shocks

It doesn't make a big difference from levers in good shape, and may not be legal in some classes.
    Current clutter: 1957 MGA-Jamaican, 1958 MGA Twincam (race car), 1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe, 1971 Jensen Interceptor
    2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe, 2007 BMW Z4M coupe Recently departed: 1965 Jensen CV-8, 1969 MGC roadster, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: tr4-rear tube shocks

I've seen pictures of them from a guy in our local club who did it. Basically he bolted a triangle plate to the bottom corner of the rear shelf with a bolt though it to mount the top of the shock to it. I wasn't too thrilled about the idea of all the shock stress ending up on body sheet metal. He said the only kink in the conversion is that he had to switch to earlier TR4 leaf springs that have a different arch than the later ones. Personally I'd stick with the levers.
    Jim Sneddon
    '61 TR3 (sold)

My Pictures | Old Racing Pictures