• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Engine change

G

I am strongly considering this to be the last year for the motor in my 74b. Just a thought, has anyone out there in computer land changed their 1800cc to a larger engine (ie say a 289cinch(I don't know what it would be in cc or liters) or something of that nature). I am curious as to how much cutting and hacking would have to be done to replace the old and in with the new higher cubic inch motor
cowboy.gif

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
I'd suspect a Ford V8 would be a bit much for the stock rear end.

There is a lot of Rover/Buick/Olds Aluminum V8 conversions out there. The V8 motor is lighter than the stock MGB engine. Check out https://britishv8.org for a bunch of different swap ideas.

Also worth considering is the Chevrolet V6 which with a 5 speed wouldn't add any real weight to a B (about the same weight as a 1.8L and overdrive tranny). These motors are easily available in V6 Camaros and 200hp is easy with the 3.4L block.

https://www.classicconversionseng.com/
https://www.v6mgb.com/
https://www.killerbv6.com

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
I would second 78Z:

I have seen a fairly clean MGB running a 327 (only thing you would notice are some slight hood/bonnet modifications). But somehow don't want to know how much work that would have taken.

The Rover V8 fits into almost anything British it seems. I've been told by a guy I know that it's not all that expensive to have a basically brand-new Rover V8 shipped anywhere in the world, and that the cost is comparable to a common approach... buying a Rover 3500 and taking the engine out of it.

The following is a great website that has lots of useful information on installing the Rover V8.

https://www.mgbexperience.com/ca-mgbv8/

[ 03-26-2003: Message edited by: Sherlock ]</p>

William

Darth Vader
The Rover conversion seems to be the "accepted" engine conversion, as it was done in period. I think a 289 would be too big to slot in easily, whereas the Rover 3.5 is a good, if snug, fit, and in stock form won't shred the back axles or anything else the first time you drive off. Can't say anything about the GM V-6 conversion, as I've never seen one. But it would not be my first choice, because in all of the Chevy V-6 cars I've driven, the engine is the least sports car like bit (but then I like revvy).
-William

Gary Lloyd

Jedi Knight
A 289 will go in, and I believe that the differential will take it!! V6's sound like crap!! Don't do it!!!! But why a V8?? Build an original and it will go!! My motor isn't even broke in yet, and it pulls like a mule!! Cam is everything!! Actually, cam, compression and breathing!! Stick with stock!! It will save the value!!
thirsty.gif

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
I can't help with an idea for a new engine, but let me know if you want to sell the stock one...I wouldn't mind having a spare, if the price is right. Please excuse the oportunist in me, but hey, ya can't blame a guy for trying

Bruce
blush.gif

OP
G

If I converted the engine I would keep the original for replacement and or to return it to original. At the rate my teenagers go, A man can never have too many parts laying around in the event of an oops. Besides, my wife figures the car is pretty the way it is, so my changing motors will probably only be a pipe dream
cowboy.gif

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
Don,

Do you let your teenagers drive your MG??? My insurance provides that no one with less than 10 years driving experience can drive the car...my sons are 16 and 20 and are sure I made that up...but that is life! I swear it it true and very good for me. But my wife insists that she should be allowed to drive it
frown.gif

Bruce

XLY 245G

How about a VW VR6. don't know if a rear wheel drive g/box can be made to fit, but it would make an interesting conversion. anyone know if this has been done or can be done?

Mark

P.S. Bruce74B I may have a spare engine available in a couple of weeks. Let me know if you are interested (mark1sellers@cs.com). I'm in western MA.

[ 03-28-2003: Message edited by: XLY 245G ]</p>

OP
G

Bruce, yes I let my young fella drive it as he is going to be driving it to his grad with his date. My daughter didn't get to drive the car as the the leg reach to the pedals is to far for the girls, also, she's the toughest on vehicles. My wife on the other hand puts her briefcase behind her so she can reach them. I do not however give the kids the keys for everyday use, only special occasions. I do have a hard time convincing him otherwise, however, as he is also learning to fly and figures he is now an adult (????).
cowboy.gif

RHWins

I gave a key to my '73 Harvest Gold MG B on his 16ht birthday, after I put a roll bar in. He had an accident later that day, damaged the left front fender, wheel, bumper and turn signal. "We" took a check for the repairs, bought a factory new fender, mini lite wheels, did what I could to strip the lights, windshield etc and had the body stripped and painted metallic green for only a few hundred $ more than the insurance gave us to repair the damage.

We autocrossed that car for several years. until
in a driving school at a road track, I tipped it upside down and that roll bar saved my life. replaced both fenders on the right side, had it repainted (no insurance $ this time).

I sold the car to him and he has it in CA. So should I have let him drive it? We have a lot of fond memories with that car, and I get to drive it when I visit him.

No regrets.