• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

The FJ Criusers are here

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
We got our first FJ cruiser today. I got to do the pre inspection and , of course, test drive.
My impression, Nice, kinda Jeep-ish.
It's a stiff ride, I like the styling, I think it's gonna sell well.
I really like the 3 wipers Just like an MGB roadster.
I stopped at my house on the test drive to get my camera and show it to the family so here's a pic
116615886_a666c859bd.jpg

Here's the original FJ that the PO of my TR2 had for a daily. (I think I like it better than the new one)
116615887_c946fcf054.jpg

G

Dude, it looks like a Jeep mated with a Station Wagon and had a hunchbacked child. I DO like the original one though..

Yeah... what's with the messed up styling. It either shuold've ended at the curve in the top.... no wait it did. They just kept adding on. The execs must've said "needs a couple more feet - I need to put a bike in there."

So they just tacked it on. If you forget the extra footage on the rear... It's actually a good looking ride. Aside from that one mistake... It looks like a very practical camping/vacation machine (people and stuff hauler). I like the old one better too.

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Was at my local Toyota dealer tonight to pick up my new Avalon, but they didn't have the FJ yet. They're usually very late at getting new cars.

The FJ is not my style, but I'll give them credit for doing something "different." It's a nice image car that will last four or five model years.

Bret

Yoda
Not my style either but like Steve I do give credit to Toyota for giving the market something new with a splash of old for good measure.

Truth is I’d been eyeing a couple of the old Land Cruisers that have popped up on the market. Nothing super fantastic, but I always liked the styling. Something about it reminds me of the 40’s Jeeps & old Series II Land Rovers. Along similar lines in a more modern rendition (albeit but a bit more true to the theme) would be the late Defenders 90s of the late 1990s.

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
I'm not crazy about the styling of the new FJ Cruiser... But have always been a big fan of the old-style FJ40 Land Cruiser (or an FJ55 Land Cruiser station wagon).

I would actually take an old Toyota Land Cruiser rather than a Land Rover if I was given a choice between the two. Or even better, make mine a 1960's Nissan Patrol 4x4 (when one actually comes up for sale here in North America).

Jerseygirl

Jedi Trainee
I don't know which is uglier... the Honda Element or the FJ. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pukeface.gif

All I can say is that the white roof on the FJ makes it look like some sort of mutant MINI. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

A

aerog

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know which is uglier... the Honda Element or the FJ. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pukeface.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget the smaller hummers too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

OP
Banjo

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Yea, we were joking at work that it's really just an H3 with a resale value.
They look better in person than in pictures. I had seen all the publicity shots before we actually got one, and although I liked it, I too diden't like the roof line in the back.
But when your looking at one first hand, It looks better.
It's definatly for a nitch market, and is a big break from Toyotas usually reserved styling. I guess thats why I like it.
It ain't mainstream.
We also Got our first Yaris. Expect to see hundreds of those swarming your hometown soon.
It's the new Echo. upper 30s for MPG, rock bottom price. But it's the typical Toyota uninspired peoplemover.

Bret

Yoda
Hmmm? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I have to wonder how the new FJ will be received by the aftermarket. Both in the tuner sectors & the off road segments.

BTW regarding the Scion XB & the Honda Element? I don’t know if it’s me or not – but how come I mostly see them being driven by really old or really young folks. I guess I just don’t get it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Easy to get into and out of, and it's cheap - there's your answer.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I'm looking forward to actually seeing one in person. I had a 1976 FJ-40 about 10 years ago and loved it. Much like a LBC really--very rusty, leaked oil, was kinda slow, and I loved every minute of it. I'd get another. Well see how the new one measures up.

-Drew

Yeah, "in person" is way different than seeing a picture on the net. There's been lots of cars that I hated pictures of, but they looked good in person... and vice versa.

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
The Yaris is a very interesting car. I'm not attracted to the small euro-coupe (hatchy-looking thing) but the more traditional four-door sedan is quite a good looking car. My only concern is that it competes with Scion. Either way, the Yaris is a true world car that can nibble-away at both Civic in the US and Focus in Europe.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, "in person" is way different than seeing a picture on the net. There's been lots of cars that I hated pictures of, but they looked good in person... and vice versa.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif The Celica was one I liked in pictures... but not IRL... the Solstice was one I did NOT like in pictures, but I found seeing them IRL was rather pleasant...

I liked the first round-bodied celica, the next one looked like they were trying really hard to buy over the Supra loving guys (wrong! and wrong again on the execution). Thje new ones looked pretty cool, but wtf was up with the optional spoiler thing just in front of the windscreen? I give my left *** for one now, because I don't think many were sold with that... Might be collectible in a few years.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
The only Celica that I've ever wanted to have is the 4-trac/all-trac model... from the late 80s early 90s... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Along those lines, the only Mitsubishi Galant I want is the VR-4 from the '91 and '92 model years /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

I have a thing for small'ish sleepers... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Yeah, I'm with ya on the Mitsu thang... In only want a 3000GT VR4, a Galant vr-4, and an Eclipse GSX AWD turbo. Outside that,

Bret

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
Easy to get into and out of, and it's cheap - there's your answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I'll accept that. Those are both commendable qualities any vehicle would be proud to tout. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

But I guess the reason for my confusion is how the “Borg Scout Ship” styling of Scion XB & Honda Element have managed to achieve the broad generational appeal they have. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Like I said... Easy to get into and out of... appeals to the elderly (or just people who have a hard time moving about)... and the "cheap" part appeals to both the young (who don't make much money), and the elderly (who also don't make much), or are on SS and retirement budgets.