• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

save me! english ford

frankenstang57

Jedi Warrior
2.jpg

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif First off, I am not a purist by any means but this is sad. I found car being offered up as a streetrod project. Sheesh, save if for a Herald or something. Anyhoo, I'm just putting the word out there incase any of you are intrested. To see the details, go here https://www.gassermadness.com/ and then check in the "cars for sale" section under "parts, projects, and rollers".

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
First off, I am not a purist by any means but this is sad. I found car being offered up as a streetrod project.

[/ QUOTE ]I have to agree; that is just too cute to butcher! I don't know these cars well enough to know if that front bumper is as per original, but it makes the car look like a miniature '36 (American) Ford Phaeton!
[ QUOTE ]
Sheesh, save if for a Herald or something.

[/ QUOTE ]NOW WAIT JUST A DOGGONE MINUTE. THEM'S FIGHTIN' WORDS! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Addendum: Just went and looked at the site. This little '37 is even cooler than I thought: a rare South African-built Ford at that. Surely someone would want to save it?

OP
frankenstang57

frankenstang57

Jedi Warrior
[ QUOTE ]
NOW WAIT JUST A DOGGONE MINUTE. THEM'S FIGHTIN' WORDS!

[/ QUOTE ]

And a rust free one at that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif But it will be done with taste, no SBC's will go anywhere near it... Then again the car I'm starting with is a basket case and then some. Need to have it built for my 20yr HS reunion in '08. Yeah, the car is rare, and very complete.(the Ford) Too bad I dont have the $$$. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
It's Aussie, looks like a Prefect tourer, only built in Australia.

I believe these are highly desireable cars, at least among Brit Ford fans... And, yes, I believe quite rare as well.

Edit: Just saw Andrew's post above after I wrote mine, do not hot rod this! Also noticed the Austin A40 Pickup (in original condition) being offered as a great street rod project, I despise people who would even consider that...

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
GAD... my HS reunion is in '08 too. The 40-year one.

<slinks off>

Daimlerdb18

Please don't let this be rodded! There's one here in Beaumont that has had the full "treatment." It started as a really nice original example, but the new owner turned it into a 500 hp monstrosity.

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Some friend's in Ontario restored a 1950 Ford Prefect to orginal (engine and all), it is a very feeble engine. As slow as the car is, they have told me that they enjoy weekend drives in it as they explore backroads at slow speed, speed isn't everything...

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
...Also noticed the Austin A40 Pickup (in original condition) being offered as a great street rod project, I despise people who would even consider that...

[/ QUOTE ]Agreed! And while it's not quite pertinent to a British Car Forum, I have to wonder if there is a single '41 Willys Coupe that has NOT been turned into a dragster!? or, for that matter, Fiat Topolino? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

OP
frankenstang57

frankenstang57

Jedi Warrior
[ QUOTE ]
I have to wonder if there is a single '41 Willys Coupe that has NOT been turned into a dragster!?

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gifI don't think there is... I've heard rumors they done ran out of them years ago, that's why they make 'em outa fiberglass now. I really dig the Austin too. Like I said before, I'm not a purist, but I would not cut up either of these. Too rare and complete.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Now really, don't be so staid, wouldn't it look lovely all candy-apple red with flourescent flames? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pukeface.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Uh....no. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I guess I wouldn't object so much if it were little more than a stripped shell found in a field somewhere, but it seems to be almost complete.

Case in point: I've got a Herald convertible that served for about 10 years as an advertising sign on the roof of a body shop. The car was completely stripped out except for the windshield glass and almost enough suspension to bolt on three of the four wheels. And the floors and trunk were mostly torched out to keep the car from filling up and retaining standing water.

From a restoration standpoint, there's really not a lot to work with, but a car like that could easily be "tubbed" and hot-rodded ad infinitum, and it wouldn't even bother ME! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mind you, I have no such plans for that car....

pmenhusen

Jedi Trainee
Not sure of the year, but there was a Willys Americar at the Belleville, KS car show last year. It had a flat black paint job and all original interior. I was expecting a small block Chevy under the hood, but low and behold they proudly displayed their original Willys engine. I've been told that the Willys drivetrain was set up for relatively low speed, so many spun a bearing from being over-revved.

OP
frankenstang57

frankenstang57

Jedi Warrior
Hey Andy, I can give you first crack at my floor, from the back seat back. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Talk to Bruce if you want dibs on car#3 when we're done with 'em. I can get it as far as Toledo and provide temp. storage. Speaking of Austins, this is what happened to a poor Cambridge when someone tried to "hotrod" it poorly.
100_1671.sized.jpg

I'll admit, the car was in bad shape when the dude started. Oh well, nothin' like playing with other people's projects...

Very interesting car!

Hey Doc... My 40 year HS reunion will be in 2031. Guess I have a few years to build a nice show-off piece! Maybe the Alfa in new paint - hehehe. It should be worth a couple hundred thou by then.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
eh... my 20th reunion is in 4 years...

G

It's odd. I like old cars. I like (most) old Fords. Even some of the American ones (ducks for cover). That thing left me cold. If I bought it I'd feel obliged to put a honking V8 and big wheels on it.

The little truck now, that's a different matter. That I like...

bcliff

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
OK, I checked out the website. Is there a price for this thing anywhere in there? I couldn't seem to find it. There used to be a South African Prefect in my area. It was left hand drive.I guess you might say I have an interest in such things. I grew up driving Model A fords and early Ford V8s. I got into english cars back in '79 when I bought my first MGB. In'92 I had chance to trade one of my Model As for a 1934 English Ford. This is the Model Y. What could be better? An old Ford that is also an LBC.
It has a lot of history that I won't elaborate on here. It is one of three pickups known to exist. The other two are in England. I did a frame-up restoration on it in '93-94.
I know every nut and bolt on the thing and know how they are built. They are a small, gutless wonder. Put an MGB motor in one and you could probably twist the frame.
I have had mine up to 45mph and that was way fast enough.
The ideal thing for the tourer would be to make fiberglass molds from the body, and sell bodies for a tube frame. That would be at least as cool as a Willys Coupe.
I guess I'll hock all my cars and buy the Ford.
My avatar is my '34 model Y.
Bruce /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

beaulieu

Jedi Warrior
The tourer for sale is a cool car , but its missing all the impossible to find small stuff,

It does have the rare 3 hole grill /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My friend just bought a near perfect Australian Tourer , they are a really neat car , dead slow for sure , I think he got his other stock motored anglia up to 50 MPH once !

Anyone have an extra 3 hole grill ??

Beaulieu