• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

It only took me four years!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
To get around to resetting the float levels in the Alfa's Webers. Hey, it ran passably... and as a friend says: "A wrench will drive a car with things going on, quirky things that no NORMAL person would put up with." So true.

Now it idles a bit smoother and transition from idle to GO is a lot less "sloppy"... shoulda dropped 'em down to 10mm long ago. PFFT!! It ran well... well, it RAN, durnit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
& cobblers' kids have no shoes

& carpenters' wives need things around the house repaired

& plumbers' wives have sinks that leak

&........

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
...now about this *unseen* secondary hard drive in this client's machine... ggrrrrrrr....

jsneddon

Jedi Knight
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
"A wrench will drive a car with things going on, quirky things that no NORMAL person would put up with." So true.

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding... I could go for days on that one...

manual trans Celica that the DPO had replaced vacuum lines with wood screws... never would idle... drove it for 2 years with all 3 feet.

Dodge dart that the tranny shifter linkage would pop out - just crawl under the car and pop it back in... never took the 10 minutes to find a cotter pin and fix it because it never happened when I was home.

Buick Le Sabre that had a short in the steering column and would die when you turned the wheel all the way to the left. (watched the guy who bought it from me spend 10 minutes trying to pull it out of the parking space - I tried to tell him what was up but my spanish is limited to ordering beer and finding a place to whiz)

Grand Prix with a broken driver-side door handle link on the outside only - just crawled across the passenger side for about a year. Came out some day and someone had broken out the little side window on the driver side... apparently they couldn't get the door open and left.... Next night they busted out the passenger window and stole the car.

Country flag
Used a screwdriver for a shifter for a few months... until the MoT inspector declared it unsafe (spoilsport) and it had to be properly fixed or else.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Didn't buy my argument that it was a removable security enhancement.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Me Ol' Fella bought a Capri, one'a the 1600's, without consulting me... I was in S.E.A., so kinda "incommunicado" at th' time.... I "borrowed" it a few years later when the Elan came up lame. Went to th' "local" one eve, and on departure as I gingerly slipped it into reverse the shifter snapped off at th' nub! Bloody THING. I drove it around for a week with a great-giant set of ViseGrip pliers from outta th' trunk as a shifter. "QuikShift Kit"!!!

I ~did~ replace th' shifter before returnin' it...

Bugeye58

Yoda
And I've been driving a '72 Midget for about 4 years with the alternator light on dimly. Hey, it starts every time, runs ok, and charges. Who cares about an idiot light?
Jeff

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
My first car (’67 Mustang) had a bad door latch on the driver’s side. When I made a right turn, the door would fly open. Took a piece of rope and tied the door handle to the passenger side door handle. Thought of it as a secondary lap belt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
"Improvise. Adapt. Overcome!"

This Spider I drive as a commuter has a "softly" glowing charge light at low RPM... I shoved a voltmeter into an empty hole inna console, it has a 14V charge while under way. Starts every time, lights are bright when necessary so "huckit" as me Ol' Fella used to say. When it kacks I'll fix it. Otherwise I have more important stuff to do, like hangin 'out here inna BCF an' suchlike /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
This Spider I drive as a commuter has a "softly" glowing charge light at low RPM...

[/ QUOTE ]

Surely its signalling for a classic DPO "fix". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

Disconnect it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

How could you possibly resist? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

wkilleffer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
And I've been driving a '72 Midget for about 4 years with the alternator light on dimly. Hey, it starts every time, runs ok, and charges. Who cares about an idiot light?
Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

My 74 MGB's alternator light glows a bit when the headlights are on at night. It pulses with the turn signals. It's a rebuild from one of the major chain auto parts stores and has a lifetime warranty. Replacing it might take some planning to make sure the store gets one, but that doesn't matter. Every time I clean the wiring connectors, the glow gets dimmer.

R

Randi

ok= 56 Merc has hairline crack at radiator neck & leaks oil...59 T-bird has a driver door that resists remaining closed.....54 Chevy-no powersteering and checking brake fluid is under floor mats on drivers side(came that way)3 0n tree and second has been known to stick......miget -no turn signals,but I have arms/come to think of it the 54 Chevy's don't work either.....71 Couger convert has exhaust leak.....64 mustang convert has short in dash lights..... it goes on & on & on......I've learned to adjust -but I check everything

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Regarding the persistent warning light problem, I prefer Click 'n Clack's solution - black electrical tape!

Mickey

Bugeye58

Yoda
I actually prefer the light, Mickey. It gives the dash such a colorful, festive, look. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Jeff

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I actually prefer the light, Mickey. It gives the dash such a colorful, festive, look. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, of course, there is that. Too bad they don't come in purple, green and gold for Mardi Gras /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif. But then, it IS Lent, so we're supposed to get rid of all the festivity!

By the way, the jester icon kinda looks Mardi Gras-ish.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Mickey

D

Deleted member 3577

[ QUOTE ]
"A wrench will drive a car with things going on, quirky things that no NORMAL person would put up with."

[/ QUOTE ]
Friday I was going to a Saint Patty's day Guinness drinking contest at an Irish pub & had some complainers along for the ride. Seems they were being overly critical about the condition of my Toyota.

The pads are down to the screech tabs
Front shocks are dead
Tires are so cupped it sounds like a helicopter around turns
The shift cable needs adjustment
And the E-brake doesn't work

D

Deleted member 3577

If you neglect to perform routine maintenance on your daily driver.

You can almost get that wonderful out of control/racing feeling from a simple commute.

character0182.gif

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Ah-HAH!! So that's why we're grinnin' like fools onna way to work. Absolutely outta control. Silly me...