• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Parade Buggy

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Had a great day at St. Pat's Day parade in Morristown, NJ!
The Morristown event has been held since 1890, so it's huge and has a great history. My students have been working on a "parade buggy" for the last while. The idea was to have a "stand-off scale" replica of a 1902 Curved Dash Olds. Runs a 5.5 HP Techumseh with a lawn tractor trans/differential. This buggy has really been built as a "test bed" for alternate powertrains. We are hoping to add a bio-diesel and/or hybrid powertrain as time goes on.
We have just finished our FIRST Robot (it's in SC right now waiting for the regional event in Columbia), so we've been busy at County College of Morris for the last six months.

Me and lab coordinator in the staging area (with classy Port-A-Johns in background).
DSC00165.jpg

Doing skid-pad testing our little rhd roadster before adding finishing details.
ccm_parade_buggy7.jpg

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
[ QUOTE ]
(with classy Port-A-Johns in background).

[/ QUOTE ]

Potential alternate power source? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

with matching hat and jackets - hehehehehe

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Handles just like a Midget - right?

- Doug

OP
aeronca65t

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
St. Pat's Day Parade Buggy

....Potential alternate power source? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif....

eeeeeeyuooooo!!

Anyway.....we've just put together a webpage about our parade buggy with some build-pictures, etc.. It's here:

https://liverpoolmotorclub.tripod.com/buggy.html

Someone with a camera-phone just e-mailed this to me.
ccm_parade_buggy_15.jpg

Re: St. Pat's Day Parade Buggy

Needs some oldsmobile logos - hehehee

ChrisS

Jedi Knight
[ QUOTE ]
Runs a 5.5 HP Techumseh with a lawn tractor trans/differential. This buggy has really been built as a "test bed" for alternate powertrains. We are hoping to add a bio-diesel and/or hybrid powertrain as time goes on.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm working on a project to design a biodiesel plant right now. I'd like to see a hybrid powertrain with a biodiesl or ethanol IC engine as the charging / extra power source. If you want to go alternative, then go all the way.

OP
aeronca65t

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Chris: I would like to use a true fuel-cell hydrogen conversion (to make electricity), but too much money right now.
In my opinion, hybrids are only as a stopgap stategy that will help us all build a better knowledge for modern electric powertrains. As much as I love IC engines, I think they are on their way out.
Meanwhile, we just got a mini-grant so we will be buying a Hatz 5 HP diesel and converting to bio-diesel...should smell like french fries when it's running!

Not surprisingly, there is a whole world of parade-buggy stuff on the 'net, such as HERE.

For our next project, we are thinking of doing a HomeBuilt Segway or a "Cyclekart" (these were in Road & Track a few years back):
Cyclekart info:
https://www.stevproj.com/Carz/CycleKartGallery.html

Bugatti Cyclekart
smRichardBug.JPG

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I was just about to suggest you build an MG TD cycle cart....heck, I might be coaxed into sponsoring it if I can come get it when its finished!