• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Handbrake Question

Adventurer_96

Did the handbrake setup on Tigers & comparable Alpines ever come set up differently than illustrated in the Tiger manual?

The handbrake assembly on my car was disassembled when I got it, so I wasn't able to take notes while disassembling. In the manual, where the cable comes through the rubber grommet and attaches to the handle, there are two pieces #5 & 6 that seem to be missing from my parts. They're listed as the abutment clip and bush in the manual.

What I did have with the handle instead was a piece which I have a hard time describing but seems like it could be a cable guide of some sort. It was stored with the handbrake lever which leads me to believe that it might be a an alternate part to the abutment bush/clip.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Unfortunately I have no manual or recollection of the setup you have there. I'm *useless* with this one. Sorry.

Mebbe some photos of the bits and the location where they're s'posed to live?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
That illustration was enuff to pique the proper dendrites. I'd like to see what the bits you have look like... Are the chassis nuts intact on yours where the bolts go thru the clip? Just thinking perhaps the PO had made up some bodge to "outwit" stripped/FUBAR'd threads. My "best guess" suggestion would be try and find proper hold-down bits first, or "counterfeit" 'em by copying them using bits from one of the CAT club guys' cars. Somewhere on base there's a machine shop... Not that I'd advocate anything nefarious, but "Midnight Procurement" may be one answer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

OP
Adventurer_96

Adventurer_96

Chassis nuts are intact, and I picked up some spacers at Home Depot to install as mine were missing. It's hard to describe, but it's a piece of sheet steel that's been bent in a circular pattern, that would cup/cradle the cable, with an extension out one end that would bolt in place I believe at one point on the third hole and at the second bolt hole it would sandwich the back part of the handbrake base.

Wow, I guess I could never write technical journals!

Bugeye58

Yoda
Note to self:
If 96 writes the dash one, DO NOT fly the aircraft! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Jeff (I got your six.) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/patriot.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
mehheh. Wimp.

I'm surprised the bush is not part of the cable assembly. The #5 clamp is heavier than sheet steel, but all you're looking to do is immobilise the cable sheath somehow at the end. Let us know what you do to solve it.

OP
Adventurer_96

Adventurer_96

Update:

First off, here's a little different description of the part. Imagine a U-shaped piece of sheet metal, with bolt holes on the top of either side of the U and right before the straight part of either side makes the arc connecting the sides, 4 holes total. Wrap the U around the end of the sleeve of the cable, as if folding the U in half, with the middle part of the U forming the tightened part around the sleeve. Bolt together both sides, clamping the sleeve and attaching to the lever. Clear as mud?

I checked out a car yesterday and it turns out that it has the part that I have, not what's shown in the manual. So, at least I was on the right track. Now, I just need to find mine for installation since I have all the parts...

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
You mean you put it "Somewhere Safe?" Uh-oh. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OP
Adventurer_96

Adventurer_96

Somewhere in the trunk, which has become temporary storage for most of my parts.

We'll see, this is on the back burner after the remote oil lines failed this Sunday in my friend's driveway, spilling it all over his nice concrete driveway. I'm going to install a filter straight on the block, no big deal, it's the cleanup that's tough. I need to get the stains out fast since we're moving in a couple of weeks, and this is going to be TOUGH!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
ACK! That is indeed bad news. I've not had success at oil stain removal, my driveway looks like the Alaska coast after that visit by the Exxon Valdiz... I'm no help with this. Check with the guys in "Hazardous Waste".

Or EOD /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

OP
Adventurer_96

Adventurer_96

Tri Sodium Phosphate (TSP) did a good job getting rid of the surface oils, but now there are shadowy stains in the concrete itself. Zep this weekend, followed by Muriatic Acid if required...

Oh, maybe I'll get to the handbrake, after I install a new oil filter directly on the block.